Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone Making Violet Jelly This Year?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone Making Violet Jelly This Year? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  11:53:46 AM  Show Profile
I am so tempted to try to harvest our outstanding "crop" of pretty violets this year and make jelly. But without some kind of "blueberry scoop" type of harvesting tool, it's just too big a job. I remember we talked about violet jelly last year, and some farmgirls made jars they sold. Anyone doing that again this year? Pretty please? :)

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  1:58:29 PM  Show Profile
I made one batch last night. I've never made jelly before. I don't think it's going to set :( How long does it usually take for jelly to set?
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  2:14:00 PM  Show Profile
I actually have some in the freezer I will be making jelly with soon :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  7:19:20 PM  Show Profile
How do you all harvest your violets? Please tell me you don't just crawl around picking off one tiny flower at a time! I was thinking it would be probably fairly easy (given strong enough tin snips) to make a tooth-edged scoop (like blueberry scoops) and attach it to a longish broom handle or something. Anybody ever try that? I feel like I only have a few days more of violets (and we have a huge amount this year) but my knees just won't take crawling around.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  8:28:13 PM  Show Profile
That's what I do Rosemary. That is if I can get to them before my dog does! She loves violets :) Let us know if you make a tool like that to harvest!

Emily Anna,
My jelly has always set up right away. One time I did end up making syrup and I will tell you it is delicious in Lemonade or we have used it making Italian Creme Sodas too! :)

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2012 :  08:39:36 AM  Show Profile
Long story short, I'm spending Easter Afternoon gathering violet blossoms the old-fashioned way! I hope I can keep the smell of Ben-Gay out of the jelly! :/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2012 :  8:29:48 PM  Show Profile
I plan to pick violets tomorrow. We have a bumper crop!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  09:22:30 AM  Show Profile
I had a huge crop last year and made 4 dozen jars. I knew these would last us a few years, but turned out to be the right choice. I was movin and unable to gather blossoms this year. I would have been heartbroke if I had to do without my jelly this year. So that worked out nicely for us!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  11:54:50 AM  Show Profile
We pick violets one little flower at a time--and I work full time, have a 3 year old and have put up 40 jars. That might not sound like a lot, but it is for someone who never has 2 seconds put together for herself! My husband actually loves the job of picking. He and the 2 dogs go out and he sits down on the hillside with a beer, his ipod and headphones, and a collander and just goes to town!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  06:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Made some a few weeks ago. If anyone can come up with a tool to pick the blossoms with, I will be a customer for sure. Til then it will be on my knees in my son's yard and picking the blossoms one by one. It is quite a good time to reconnect with God's nature while you are on your knees you can really see his handy work in all the minutia there close to the ground. And you might say a prayer or two as well.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  09:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I will be making mine tonight. I made dandelion yesterday and had to reprocess it today. This is the first batch that didn't set up properly. I guess when the recipe says "no substitutions" on the pectin it really means NO SUBSTITUTIONS! I will be heading out to buy the Certo pectin before I waste those lovely, lovely sweet violets.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  09:27:24 AM  Show Profile
As far as picking goes, I run my fingers through the stems (like you would run 'em through your hair). Usually I can get 3 or 4 at a time, then close my fingers and gently tug. At least it's not ONE at time...

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Same here, Amy. I did pick one quart tonight. And, plan on a couple more tomorrow.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  11:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Made my first batch yesterday! LOVE LOVE LOVE the color!!
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  9:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Never heard of this jelly before, the recipe would be nice!
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile
I havent either, Roxanna. Can someone post the recipe please? What kind of violets do you use?

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  10:48:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm planning on making some this year as soon as they start bloomin'!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile
My 92 year old Grandmother and I spent a chunk of yesterday afternoon picking violet, one by one. I'd never made any before, but my jelly turned out beautiful, waiting for it to set now.

**Anna~Mary**

Daddy never liked me playing in mud, but Mommy always just laughed and said "It won't hurt anything. She'll wash." Thanks Mom... Still playing in the dirt @ 29 and still loving it!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  07:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Here's a nice site for recipe with photos and handy advice: http://www.prairielandherbs.com/violetjelly.htm
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  06:52:57 AM  Show Profile
I have another batch steeping now. I really hope it sets this time. Fingers crossed!

Anna, your grandmother sounds wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  07:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Anna, what a blessing and a memory you'll have forever. That made me smile!

The prairie land herbs link is the recipe I've used without fail for the last 4 years or so. It's sooo easy and soooo good!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  07:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Anna Mary,

How precious is that memory? Like Jonni, that made me smile :)

Emily,

I hope your batch sets. If not the Violet 'Syrup' is great in lemonade or Italian Cream Sodas, or on Ice cream :)

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  1:50:41 PM  Show Profile
I go out and check every day if my violets are out yet and they aren't! Dandelions are just starting to bloom here so I'm going to make Dandelion jelly and the violets should be soon to follow the Dandelions as I remember last spring :) So exciting!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, Thank you! How do you make syrup? Do you just the jelly that didn't set, or do you do something else to it?
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  7:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Emily,

You can follow the jelly recipe and omit the pectin or you can use the jelly if it doesn't set :)

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  06:07:22 AM  Show Profile
This year has not been very good for violets this year, they have been really slow to start blooming. The dandelions have been slow to start as well but I am sure hoping the violets pick up like they were last year! I'd love to make at least 2 batches of violet jelly this year!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone Making Violet Jelly This Year? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page