Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Tablecloths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Tablecloths Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  5:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I do still find a few tablecloths in thrift stores. They are few and far between, but it is possible. Right now I have a vintage Christmas cloth on. In fact, today I noticed that one side hangs down by where the foot traffic goes by and my golden is about that height to deposit LOVELY blond hair on the edge of the tablecloth! You know I will be washing it up tomorrow!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  05:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Plumjoy,

You asked about getting the yellowing out of the folds of the old tablecloth . . . . Is it an old kitchen tablecloth -- cotton, with fruits or flowers or such? That's the kind I 'collect', and I use Oxyclean on them. That should take the yellowing stains out. I soak in the Oxyclean and then run it through a wash cycle.

Maybe others have another suggestion . . .
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies, I have just read these messages from 06 and just had to join in at this later date. I love vintage lines. Just started collecting them aboutsix months ago. My first ones came from my husbands late grandmothers estate back in the mid 80's. I've always used them when we ate in the dining room.Sundays and holidays. Well now I can't get enough of them. Tableclothe, nanpkins, etc. I have recently collected about 30 vintage hankies in almost perfect condition. Some have never been used.Beautiful Irish linens, lace, embroidery, tatted laces. Even found one in an envelope someone mailed to a friend as a remembrance of their friendship. Found a beautiful crocheted bedspread, perfect condition, old, in a thrift shop. That one was a once in a lifetime find. Paid ten dollars! I have found dozens of beautiful linen napkins and guest towels with our last name initial monogram on them. Even found some embroidered pillowcases in very good condition. There I go again. I get so carried away with love of linens. Found two lovely tablecloths and they both fit my dining room table. In my excitement over these wonderful finds I would show everything to my husband and finally one day he said, you are going to run out of places to put all that stuff! Now I leave everything in my van and later on go into the garage and slip it up the back stair case. Men just don't understand. Ha!
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  02:43:52 AM  Show Profile
Betty, great new forum! Yes, I too love the old table-cloths, napkins and hankies. I am reading the posts regarding cleaning, particularly the yellowing along the folds. I assume that the Oxy-Clean will not make any hand embroidery run? I have never used it before.
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, What a treasure.
What a great Idea! I am going to add this to my great ideas file. I even have a hemstitched linen table cloth to use.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:01:32 AM  Show Profile
Eeeps! I love the linens too...and one of my thrift stores is having a 50% off sale on Monday - Memorial Day...guess where I'll be!

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Jenny I really ... really love this..
& yours is so pretty!! I think the diffrent colors top it off too!

Yep.. I Have to start this!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:43:34 PM  Show Profile
i love cloth napkins and tablecloths (especially vintage) ... i sometimes use them for dolly dresses/aprons!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  09:11:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to see this thread. I just love old tablecloths. One of my regrets is that I no longer have a round farm table in my kitchen. We got a portable island thing instead. I used to love putting vintage 40s-style cloths on the old table. There's just something so warming about that look (and feel -- there's nothing nicer than well-worn cotton). All I have of my old stuff now, though, is a set of very fine cotton napkins with tatting in one corner that I use for "tea Parties" on the porch with the good china. Why do we not allow more of this energy into the rest of our lives? Why just for now and then? By golly -- I've just talked myself into going back to a table. Anybody have a good Web site for tablecloth collectors?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary-

What about a table cloth on your island thingy?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Alee, the island is painted with designs, and is only comfy for sitting at one end that has a leaf you can raise into place for that purpose. I'm not sure how convenient it's turning out to be. I might wind up selling it. Live and learn!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:22:16 PM  Show Profile
I really like tablecloths, too - although with a now-crawling babe, their use has temporarily come to and end at my house! I have a favorite one, however, that my mom made for me year before last at Christmastime. It has light blue and white toile with a light yellow border - I just love that she made it herself.

What are YOUR favorites?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I have been collecting tablecloths for many years as I worked for my sister-in-law for 7 years handling estate sales around the Boise, Twin Falls areas.
I bought them to make things out of, aprons is one idea I have. Some cloths that were inexpensive had stains and some of the lace ones have holes so I am going to try making clothes out of the lace ones. I am going to begin very soon as this is the last day of school for my son (the only one left at home) and he spends the summers in Boise with his grandparents who live close to where he works for the summer.
I will post some pictures as I create them but I am also going to create a blogspot. I also have some lovely vintage nightgowns to make some "scarecrones" out of. This summer will be the summer to create as our Mountain Farmgirl Chapter will begin our "farmgirls markets" on June 16. We are only having homemade/homegrown.
Saw a wonderful bumper sticker I hope to locate some for our chapter girls....NO FARMS NO FOOD!
Isn't that the truth!
Blessings to all

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  11:11:06 AM  Show Profile
I like the 40s styles: combinations of stripes and flowers in bright colors. Also, I have one that's a heavier than usual weave, mostly white but with kelly green stripes in differing widths around the edges. I'd love to find one with red cherries all over, maybe with curvy edges bound with some kind of contrast edging. It would be worth searching for vintage fabric to make one, if it isn't findable already made. Since my former kitchen table was a big round oak one, the cloths I have from that time are big square ones. I also had a few smaller squares that I would layer over the bigger ones at a 90-degree angle. I love the old cotton handkerchief-style napkins that I think were once used in luncheon buffet service, or for tea parties. The millions of launderings they've been through make them so soft. I best love the ones that somebody repaired a long time ago, where you can make out where they did it, including sewn-up or patched-over holes. There's something very sweet about that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Tablecloths Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page