Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Tablecloths
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Tablecloths Next Topic
Page: of 2

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Since I'm new here, I was wondering if tablecloths has been or could be a topic for the magazine. I have a collection of vintage tablecloths I've picked up at garage sales and use them. I also like to use cloth napkins.

Does anyone use tablecloths and would anyone be interested in bartering for one?

Betty

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  06:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i'm with you, i love vintage tablecloths and it is one of the treasures that i like to collect at sales. i think a feature on tableclothes would be interesting as well in the magazine.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  07:03:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you, I love vintage linens! What types do you collect? I have been collecting blue and white or yellow and white damask for sometime and just love them. There are just so many interesting patterns! I also have some vintage lace tablecloths that I use for "special" occasions because quite frankly my guys are MESSY! I love old napkins too and last year for Christmas my mother in law found vintage napkins that had our monogram (with all the correct letters!) Quaker lace tablecloths are another favorite for projects... I better stop before I get carried away. Does anyone collect those crazy state tablecloths that people bought as souvenirs back in the 50's?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  07:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I like table cloths don't really collect them but I have a few unique ones ( hand made battenberg from around 1900 I need tor estore that one and a nanduti lace from south america very colorful.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  07:27:44 AM  Show Profile
I have lots of tablecloths and napkins, and lunch size tablecloths, can't resist them when I see them. Just this morning I put a transfer pattern on the corner of one of my larger linen napkins to embroider.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  07:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
so nancy you started that project after all. Good for you I hope and know they will come out lovely. What type of patern did you finnaly decided upon.

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  08:01:04 AM  Show Profile
I love tablecloths too. I use one on my table most all the time, but since I have kids still at home and messy I put a sheet of clear plastic over it and change them as I feel like it.
I don't have as many as I used to, but love 1940's vintage ones. I have alot that I have just made from yardage on hand too..especially John Deere ones, since my kitchen has that theme.
We use cloth napkins all the time for everyday and I love them too..we have quite a collection, but I make more when I can. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who loves tablecloths!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  10:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Betty! I would be interested in bartering with you for a tablecloth. Whenever you get a moment, send me an email and we can come up with a swap plan. Nance
Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  12:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I sent you an email. Let me know when you get it.

Also, NANCY JO, what is a lunch size table cloth. That's a new expression for me.

The other thing that would be interesting is stories about your tablecloth. One that I have is, on Thanksgiving and Christmas, I put a plastic tablecloth on that looks like lace and then put placemats on top, but the reason for the plastic is that I have everyone who comes to dinner, sign and leave a message. It's really pleasant to read and remember everyone.

Also, once I bought an extra large battenburg lace tablecloth that was on clearance and used it for a bedspread (with a dust ruffle) on a twin size bed.

Betty

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  1:04:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't use tablecloth's much (I love the look of my wood table) but I love cloth napkins and we use them everyday!!

I always look for them at the thrift stores and auctions.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  1:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I am sure I have mentioned this before...I have a tablecloth started the year STeve and I were engaged that has signatures of everyone who comes to our house on Christmas day over the years. They sign it and then I embroider it with a different color each year (there is a key around the edge to know which color each year is) Here is a picture of it. I always have to quick embroider the names from the year before in December. I never get around to it until then. My best friend in Calif and I saw the idea in a an ad for Hallmark one year and started the same year. My dad and STeve's too have passed away in the last couple years...so it is extra special to have that. Fun too..I have kids under 12 write their age next to their name, and mom's write the name and age of the babies. Some years I will have 30 signatures..cuz if you stop by my house for ANYTHING you must sign the cloth!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 12 2006 1:51:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  1:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
that is a way cool idea would be neat to do for family baptisam and blessings for each kid and then again at their wedding and give it to them on their one year anniversay

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 12 2006 2:16:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  2:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- That is such an incredible idea!! I may have to "borrow" it!!
I have 2 of my door jambs painted with chalkboard paint and on it are the names of family and friends and the missionaries that have served in our area. I am going to have to move to a larger area, so maybe a tablecloth would be a better idea!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  2:29:10 PM  Show Profile
BETTY,
I think they were also called bridge clothes, they were popular in the 1950's, lots of card playing going on, they were made to fit card tables, also if you were having dinner, they fit the card table as for extra seating. I have seen a lot of them, and a lot of them are the checks with cross stitch, I had a white one that had cross stitch all around the edge with matching napkins.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  2:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to say, good idea Jenny on the table cloth, whoever ends up with that will have a great heirloom.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2006 :  2:35:38 PM  Show Profile
I sometimes give this as a wedding gift too...a plain oatmeal colored tablecloth with instructions and some floss to get started..sorta fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile
NANCY JO, thanks for the information. I have some of those smaller cloths, but didn't know what they were.

Jenny, that is the most beautiful idea I have ever seen. Such thought and love to make a tablecloth like that.

Betty

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  10:02:11 AM  Show Profile
i love vintage table cloths .. but mostly use them when dining 'outdoors' .. i, too, love the look of wood .. but love to do fun napkins and sometimes a 'runner'. but will cover outdoor tables in the yard when having guests.

LOVE your memory table cloth jenny .. i did something 'similar' with a wonderful high-back wooden 'cottage' bed we had in the previous two homes we lived in. EVERYONE who came as a guest to our home and slept in the bed .. signed and dated it .. and it had about sixty-some signatures (autographs) on it when we gifted it to a family member when moving to these teensy little log cabins. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile
Jenny- I remember how cool I thought that idea was before when we talked about it, but it just makes me love it even more to see yours
so full of wonderful memories. And I love the wedding (or shower gift idea)! Thanks for sharing!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

vintageviolet
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Michele
Healdsburg CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:23:55 AM  Show Profile
I have a collection of about 100 or so fruit and flower vintage tablecloths. I Used them all at my wedding with mason jars full of zinnias. It was so beautiful! I have cut up some of the damaged ones and made quilts from them.

Michele
In Napa Valley
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  11:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Michele -- I love your screen name, vintageviolet! I'm a real purple-flower-fan; today I'll be planting purple alliums for next year's garden.

How wonderful to have such a huge collection of vintage tablecloths. And how lovely your wedding tables must have looked!

I picked up a vintage tablecloth from Salvation Army today for $1.20 -- it's beautiful, with red rosebuds and blue ribbons, but has a few stains. If the stains don't come out with Oxyclean, I was thinking of making pillows out of it. What do you use for stains on vintage tablecloths?
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I,too, use tableclothes. I learned that from my mother. And Jenny what a great idea about the wedding gift, only I think I will "borrow" the idea from you and give it to my girls for Christmas and as their families grow so will the tablecloth.

Life may not be the party we hoped for...but as long as we are here we might as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  2:58:40 PM  Show Profile
OH BOY, I'AM very jealous, Love old tablecloths, going to be one of my new goals to collect, won't they look so pretty folded and all in a pile. I have about five I think, have got to get to work on this. When I think back to all of the ones that were in my family, well you know, didn't think of it at the time. Thanks for reminding me of another reminder of our past.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  5:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. I have a tablecloth that was given to me about 5 years ago from an older dear friend of mine. I have never washed it because it has a problem. Do any of you know how to get the yellowing along the fold lines out? It is so precious to me I would hate to ruin it. I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

Thanks, PlumJoy
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  5:23:01 PM  Show Profile
i too love those tablecloths and hankies. I have quite a collection of hankies. I have brought at the anitque store and flee market. pinkroses.
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  7:28:53 PM  Show Profile
I love to have a tablecloth on my table. I can't find many in my area but I alway look at thrift stores.

Denise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Tablecloths Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page