Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Wonky House block swap - Mailed Back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Wonky House block swap - Mailed Back Next Topic
Page: of 4

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:28:16 PM  Show Profile
The house block can be any size. Use some of your wild fabrics. And just have fun. Just let me know how many you would like to make. And then you will get the same number back. Mail the blocks to me with a SASE. Sign-up till the 15th of April. The blocks will be due on May 15th. I will then send the blocks back to everyone by May 18th. Please ask questions if this is clear as mud. Thanks, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!

Edited by - craftystranger on Aug 23 2012 4:37:04 PM

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  6:40:33 PM  Show Profile
If this block seems scary google wonky house tutorial..... you will see all kinds of instructions. Look at see the different blocks you can make with your scraps and "uglies".

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Nettie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Nettie
Bedford PA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  05:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara,

I would love to give this a try.

Sign me up for one.

Edited by - Nettie on Mar 28 2012 05:37:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Sign me also, my sister says I can do this.
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  05:47:08 AM  Show Profile
This is a very forgiving block. And using scraps make it better. Hopefully more will join us!! If not we will make a small village......spread the word.

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  06:22:42 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE this! These look like fun! Sign me up for one please.

Also found this cute tute:
http://unrulyquilter.com/tutorials/wonkytown.pdf

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  03:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh look at this wonderful house quilt!! blue elephant stitches blog Friday, July 22,2011 See what I mean anything goes........ It is just so darn cute!

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  10:55:52 PM  Show Profile
what size blocks?

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  03:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I think what ever size you want to make .... keeping with the wonky theme. 5 more days then we will know how many folks want to do this. What do you girls think ...if we have a small group should we make one house for each person?

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Jonesy
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Joan
Donovan illinois
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile
Sign me up and yes, we should make one for each...how else will we get enought to make a quilt top? BUT... I am new at this. Are the houses, trees, ect, appliqued or pieced?

Joan

Nothing happens unless first we dream.

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  08:03:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree - one for each. Also a uniform size, maybe in the neighborhood of 8-12". Just me thinking out loud - take it for what it's worth.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  1:06:01 PM  Show Profile
I think I'd like to join, too.

Can we mail out on May 15th or should we plan to mail out sooner?
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Okay looks like we have the start of a village!!! I agree with the blocks need to be in the 8" -12" range......Pieced or applique your choice ..... looks like we have seven of us. Everyone make six blocks and send them to me in a month. I will swap the houses around and get them back to you!! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. This is all about having fun!!!

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  12:35:28 PM  Show Profile
This is going to be so much fun!
Just a quick question - do we have a consensus on size? 8-12" is a great range - can we get a bit more specific?
Thank you so much! I was eyeballing the fat quarters at the fabric store, just ITCHIN' to pick up an extra few for this...

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  11:44:44 AM  Show Profile
Did a rough sketch of one on graph paper today, just to play a bit with sizes and shapes. Making my blocks 12 1/2".

Go to Top of Page

Jonesy
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Joan
Donovan illinois
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  07:42:46 AM  Show Profile
I am going to do mine in 12 1/2" blocks too.

Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
12 1/2 sounds good with me ..... If others want to make smaller blocks the final owner can add trees, more houses, or what ever they want. I just want this to be a fun swap!!

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Jonesy
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Joan
Donovan illinois
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  05:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Been pushing a few ideas around my head and am finally ready to start the blocks this week end.

How is everyone else doing?

Joan

Go to Top of Page

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  12:55:44 PM  Show Profile
I haven't started mine yet either, but I probably will start them next week. Six blocks shouldn't take too long to put together.

Live simply. So that others may simply live.

http://waukamountainmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  11:39:02 AM  Show Profile
I just got back from the quilt show in Paducah. So now I am ready to start sewing my houses. Going to a show like that always gives me mixed feeling...... one it fills me with ideas and love the fact that I am a quilter.....the other is I am so not in the class with "those" quilters. But my wonky houses will be just what I need to start back with after such a busy week. I'm just going to have fun!! Because really I make quilts that a child could run around the yard with or curl up and take a nap. What type of a quilter are you?

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Barb, it's ok - you're in OUR class of quilters and that's all that matters! I think most of us would rather make a quilt that makes memories over a childhood than some museum piece that hangs on a wall. At least, I would. Made a quilt several years ago for a niece, that now hangs nicely on her wall. It was meant to be hugs from her Auntie, and now all she can do is look at it. "It's too beautiful to use". Bite me.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now. Glad you had fun at the quilt show!

Go to Top of Page

Jonesy
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Joan
Donovan illinois
USA
197 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  07:51:37 AM  Show Profile
I will have to drop out of this one. So sorry to do so, but I have tried and tried to make a wonky block so..Geeze.... brain cannot get into gear. Maybe next time when I get more experience quilting. Joan

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Joan - so sorry to see you go!

Go to Top of Page

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  12:24:43 PM  Show Profile
Jonesy, I was having prombles with this one too!
I saw a artical that says you could just cut out the house shapes & sew them to the background. Just iron under the edges like you would with applique. You know like cut out a lopsided square, iron under the edges & sew to the background & do the same with a triangle for the roof & some smaller squares & rectangles for the windows, chimey & door. That doesn't sound too hard so Iam going to try that if my first attempt doesn't work.

Live simply. So that others may simply live.

http://waukamountainmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  04:41:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone don't give up. This block is very forgiving.... nothing has to be straight. Each block is different. Look at patcherymenagerie.blogspot she is what has got me started on these houses. It is my first time also. We can always push back the due date. Let me know what you guys think. Waula Mountain Mama is right you can always applique the house.... oh Jonesy please rethink about joining us again. This block will make your "wild" side of your brain work!!

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  06:59:04 AM  Show Profile
If it helps anyone else (and this is my first time doing this, so I'm no expert)...
I sketched mine out on graph paper. I am a control freak of the first order, and need some guidelines. At least this time. If I really like this (which I'll probably love it), I'll have the process under my belt, and can then get as creative and wild as I want.
I think it's kind of like learning to ride a bike - you start with a tricycle, then graduate to a two-wheeler with training wheels, then you ride like the wind. If you get really brave, you learn to ride with "no hands".
So, like I said, if it helps anyone else (and I hope you all find a way to stay!), using the graph paper might be a good way to keep your training wheels on, or your hands on the handlebars.
Happy Mother's Day, all!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Wonky House block swap - Mailed Back Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page