Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name" Next Topic  

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
I scoured the used book shelf in our retirement community honor system library and found a gem. "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name: News from Small-Town Alaska" is written by Heather Lende,Published by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. 2005. It is about her adult life in Haines, Alaska. In addition to her learning experiences she also writes about many tidbits that shed light into the true and good character of John Schnabel, an old-timer who owns the Big Nugget Gold Mine in the historic Porcupine mining district, before his recent name recognition and fame on the television series "Gold Rush". Evidently, she explains in this book, John Schnabel "is the reason we were able to stay in Haines when the sawmill Chip (her husband) worked at closed. John offered to sell us a building supply business he also happened to own. Twenty years and five children later, Chip still runs the same lumberyard and hardware store at the bottom of the hill....." The book is interesting highlighting the hardships weather, lack of transportation, limited growing seasons,limited supplies, and other challenges presented to them. She earned her living in various ways, but mostly by being an obituary writer for the local paper and in a customary way of interviewing the family of the deceased. This books speaks to the pioneer woman, the anthropologist, the naturalist and illuminates the necessity to know what zone you are in. It highlights growth and appreciation, hard work, and kindness. I loved it!
Have good days.
Annie

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  3:37:57 PM  Show Profile
wow, sounds like my kind of book, will have to go looking for that one, thank you so much for posting about it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic "If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page