Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Living IN the barn... you know, with the animals?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Living IN the barn... you know, with the animals? Next Topic  

whokilledmaxine
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

maxine
fair haven vermont
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I've been trying to convince my boyf that adding a living quarters to a barn upstairs would be a fabulous experience. Certainly I haven't given this the most thorough of thinking-through, and can imagine the cons, but it seems like it might be a good step towards simplifying in the future as we start to plan our initial "settling down." In my fantasy, it's not some massive barn--just enough for a couple of horses and a few miscellaneous livestock.

I've done a little research and I know insuring it can be weird, as can one day trying to sell it. But I really want to hear if anyone actually DOES it? I'm so curious!

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  8:46:38 PM  Show Profile
I guess it would be warm in the winter ... But maybe a bit odiferous in the summer? But, farmgirls usually don't mind that too much. So, why wouldn't it work?
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  8:49:44 PM  Show Profile
Interesting concept! I think people used to do that long, long ago.

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  06:53:19 AM  Show Profile
If people can live in wall tents in the winter, why not a barn? When families had so many children, some of them did sleep up in the lofts, so did farmhands. I would if I had a chance to to it. My hubby probably would not, but I would.
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  09:12:23 AM  Show Profile
We had friends who did this. It was a fully functional barn downstairs (although they used it mainly for equipment storage and a printshop) and a fully functional 3 bedroom house upstairs. It was an open greatroom floorplan and they loved it. No problem insuring it, no odor or fly problem. Of course there were no manure-makers downstairs most of the time. This was in Arizona, so the house part was fully sealed and air conditioned.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  9:05:57 PM  Show Profile
I had a barn apartment.

It was cold in the winter and cool in the summer, the smell was never an issue. Seems like I lived there for almost a year. I loved the little aparment!

Was layed out like a mobile home - about 11' wide and 66' long, living room and kitchen on one end, bathroom and closet, then the bedroom on the other end. Very peaceful little place.

"A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself."
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries." A A Milne
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  05:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Sounds nice for during late night animal checks during calving, or lambing. I would love not to go all over the place bundled up looking around for animal checks. Resale might take awhile as you would need just the right buyer. Just as a looking ahead thought.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  09:33:12 AM  Show Profile
*shrug* Why not? Viking longhouses had the barn on one end, the animal feed/grain storage at the other, and the living quarters in the middle. The heat the animals produced helped warm the building during the winter.

Personally, I think living above a barn would be awesome!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2012 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile
My grandparents had their barn attached to their house. My grandfather was a dairy farmer (in The Netherlands) and they had a front door for guests, but everyone else used the side door...which you then had to go through the barn to get in the house. This way, in the cold winters he didn't need to trek outside to feed the animals and milk them, and it also helped keep them warm, considering that they didn't have electricity or a furnace at first, and the wood fireplace was only in the main room, not anywhere else in the house. Living on the East Coast of Canada has proven to be quite cold in the winter, and it's difficult at times to get to the animals and feed them, water them etc. I've told my husband that I want our house attached to our barn eventually, and he now knows why it's such a great idea! I hope it happens one day :)
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  5:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Maxine,
I have always loved that idea! It is actually rather common in Europe in many places. Here are a couple of links I had saved, hope these help you formulate your plan!
http://www.stablewise.com/gralla/living.html" target="_blank"> br / http://www.stablewise.com/gralla/living.html

http://horsemansranch.com/faq_purchasing_process.html

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  6:41:47 PM  Show Profile
I do not see why it would not work ... I think it is a cool idea too. except for it being a bit smelly, other than that I would live it one...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  2:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I read an article somewhere about this very thing. For the life of me, I can't remember where but the concept was the same. As I recall the house was in the front and the barn was in the back. I think the idea was brought over by some immigrants (Norweigians, Swedes maybe or it might have been Germans?)and they built their houses here the same as in the old country. I think it worked becaue of the cold weather and like some of you have said, they could tend to the stock without having to deal with the elements. And think about how many bunkhouses are built within a barn. I think this would probably work!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  5:51:00 PM  Show Profile
If it could be like Victor Newman's "Tack Room" on the Young and the Restless you'd have it made. That one went from being a true tack room with saddles and tack hanging around, horses neighing in the background, and a cot in the corner to a very upscale living area. Just kidding, of course. Seriously though, I think the living quarters would have to be very separate and walled off from the critter quarters or, like someone else mentioned, there could be some smelly problems. On the otherhand, it could be very convenient when it comes to feeding the livestock whilst wearie jammies and being nearby when there's a birthing. I'd do some serious research. Sounds like an interesting concept. Good luck.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Oops! I meant to say "whilst wearing jammies."

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  09:53:24 AM  Show Profile
You know, in many parts of the old country it was quite common for the farm structure to house both the family and the animals. Many of the original Swiss Chalet's were like that. I just saw a blog post on tinyhouse.com about a little house built inside a barn! Good luck sister. And if the Boyf isn't convinced, a least construct a little quiet space for yourself in there!

Farmgirl #4053
My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

Wendella
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Wendy
Baudette Minnesota
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile
HI all you country gals! Interesting forum. I started my own 40 acre ranch from scratch (no buildings, electric, well) in 2007. It was 15 acres of nicely tilled soil and 25 acres of mostly popple and black willow woods. I earned the money working at a factory, trailing horses, and bartending. Now let me tell you ladies, that is one crazy chancy thing to do but i am here to say i did it and in the process of building this ranch i have been building my life. Today it is still a work in progress as its hard to keep up with all my ideas but I am sooo happy and content knowing I am on my chosen path in life and not just daydreaming about it. I raise pastured beef, pastured broilers, pastured free range eggs, pastured pork, board horses, and give riding lessons. I almost have things payed for and i have electric, water, a barn a house and many outbuildings. My first real building was a 28 x40 shed which I had a 12 by 28 foot heated room completely finished off nicely on the end. I lived in that room for over a year while my house was being built. If you start a place from scratch you have to have a place to live while you are doing it. I know another person who built a small apartment in their barn to stay in. It makes a great multifunctional room after you get your house built. Don't bother going to the bank to get a loan to do this however. they only give you money to build a very resalable house that you have to finish in a year. The trouble with that is you will spend WAY more money and possibly never get out of debt if you don't have the time to try to pay as you build. Anyway i would love to share info with anyone who is trying to build their own homestead. I just love MaryJanesFarm magazine and have been so inspired by her. She show us that we can build fence, milk cows, use outhouses, wear crazy artistic clothes, be unique, and be very feminine about it. be proud of who you are and thankful that you are unique. And see the love of God in every beautiful country day. Some day I want to meet her and visit her farm. Wendella of Wild Rose Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  5:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

We live in a barn. It was built in the thirties. the people before us put the house in the loft in the front half. We finished the house in the loft so now we have a two story house in the loft. We have three cows downstairs. Originally we kept the hay in the back part of the loft. Now we have a haybarn. The only company that would insure us was Farm Family. The stink does not come up through the floor. We have put plastic and insulation in the floor. I do not know if it was necessary but it is there.

It is very nice in the winter to not have to go outside to milk or do chores.

Sorry it posted so large. Still learning...

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Apr 22 2012 5:19:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  08:56:50 AM  Show Profile
This type structure (Barn with apartment) has become so popular some people here are now calling them Barndominiums, started out by the need for people who buy raw land for a place to stay and store belongings while waiting to build their house, then later becomes great guest quarters, but now some people are doing them to live in and have their workshop, hobby shops, etc. even if they don't have animals, and I think it has proven to be more cost effective than typical building. there is info if you google barndominiums. I am thinking about doing something like this myself, as I don't need a big house any more but do need extra room for all my hobbies/crafts. was browsing the different chat rooms and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. Hi, Holly. I wrote a big post last night for the over 50's thread and it disappeared when I tried to post so I gave it up. Will try again today maybe.

Glenda #3534
http://www.gypsyglenda.com
Go to Top of Page

Primitive DIVA
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Melissa
Montgomery Texas
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  6:10:57 PM  Show Profile
There is a company-- Barn Pro's, that offer several types of barns with residences above.They have packaged the financing also. The project plans range from small studio apartments, to full 3000sft residences. We have them in our "idea" file for possibilities when we build this summer.I would LOVE to live in a barn home. I love yours Holly....very nice :-)

New Sister #4088
Montgomery, Texas Chapter Leader
I threw off my high heels to move to our dream 10acre Texas homestead. Goats, Chickens, Garden and Orchard and more!My current LOVE is making fermented and cultured foods/beverages.
www.healthylivingwithmelissa.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  8:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Wendy what a great story, sounds like you have accomplished a lot in 5 years,would love to see pictures if you want to share. Good luck. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Living IN the barn... you know, with the animals? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page