Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need Advice on Seed Planting Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  3:39:09 PM  Show Profile
This is the first time I've planted seeds inside in peat pots. I've got tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. They are now about three inches high with tiny leaves. The instructions on the peat pots say that when true leaves appear to cut back the smallest plants and place the remaining ones outside in a shady area during the day and bring them in at night. They look so fragile and I'm afraid I'll do something wrong. Plus, I don't know what "true" leaves are. Help!!!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  3:45:15 PM  Show Profile
true leaves are usualy the second set of leaves to appear, and they will look like the leaves on a matureing plant...look at pictures of the mature plants, and you will see the difference...as long as its not freezing outside during the day, the plants should be fine...I start mine on the porch, which faces east, to start hardening them...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  1:33:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure if you wait a week or so it won't hurt the plants if you think they are too fragile but what Tina says about the true leaves is correct. They are noticibly different than the first set of leaves. We have such bad winds here and someone suggested I put a fan on my seedlings to help harden them off before I harden them off outside. Works very well! It helps strengthen their stems.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need Advice on Seed Planting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page