FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:13:02 AM  Show Profile
Many of you don't know me, but a few of you probably remember me. It's been quite awhile since I have been on. Let's just say life got in the way. Well I've come back because I miss "chatting" and learning from others.

Among the many disasters that have occurred in my life in the last couple of years, the absolute worst was losing our home to a fire in October. My family is okay although there is one less kitty. We lost everything.
We were lucky enough to have insurance and we are currently living in another town in a rental. A wonderful friend who lives nearby feeds and water the chickens when he comes out to feed his hunting dogs that he keeps on our place. I feel so bad for the girls. We usually have a heated water bowl and a warming lamp in the hen house. However, since the fire this is no running water, no electricity, nothing. They are having to snuggle to stay warm. Luckily, the winter has been pretty mild so far......

In addition to losing all my "stuff", I lost all my garden seeds! I know all the "stuff" can be replaced - not really worried about that. Most of it I probably didn't really need anyway, but I was a pack rat! One never knows when that dohickythingamabob will come in handy. I am mostly upset because of losing all my quilting supplies and my seeds. I worked so hard to grow things, then save the seeds and store them. I had saved seeds from the planting of seeds some of you farmgirls were kind enough to send me! The really sad part is book I had written everyone's name and what they sent was also lost.
I think most of what I lost can be ordered thru Seed Saver's or Baker's Creek, but I know my insurance agent is going to raise an eyebrow when I give him a list of seeds!
It just won't be the same. Ordered seeds vs. gifted seeds! Those gifted seeds meant more!

I also didn't get to properly put the garden to bed after the fire. There was so much going on. Do you think I can make up for lost time in the spring?
I am trying to revamp my schedule again to see if I can 2 days off per week instead of just 1. So far, the boss hasn't been to receptive. He's a city slicker and just doesn't get it. Don't get me wrong - he's a wonderful boss, but doesn't have a clue about "country" stuff.

Lora

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:38:00 AM  Show Profile
Lora,

I'm so sorry to hear about your fire. What a tragedy. Are there any seeds you really want or is anything o.k.? I'd be happy to send you some seeds to help you get started. They are all ordered seeds, but they are from Baker Creek, etc. You'll have to start a new list somewhere online so if tragedy were to strike again it would be safe online. You could keep in your email for example.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:47:53 AM  Show Profile
How sweet you are! Anything would be wonderful. Good idea about storing the list online! I'll probably keep a copy in the barn too! lol. Thank you so much!

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  08:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Lora,
Send me your address and I will send you some of my heirloom vegetable seeds. All are from Seed Savers or saved seeds from them. I am sorry about your fire. I am sure you will be able to get your garden back up to speed.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  09:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much! That's awesome!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  10:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Lora...I don't have seed to send you, but I am so sorry about your loss. That is so difficult!

In someways starting over can be a refreshing new start. But it is those irreplaceable things,
like your quilting, probably family pictures, seeds, collectibles etc...that goes beyond just
being "stuff". They are our "hearts delight", those little things we enjoy so much and that make
us who we are.

I pray that you will be able to rebuild your Farm and Your Lives...one step-at-a-time. Praying for you
Farmgirl!

Living Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  10:59:48 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Every thought and prayer sent our way makes it that much easier to keep plowin' thru.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  8:04:02 PM  Show Profile
Lora: Welcome back. So sorry for your loss. I have material I will never use. If you would like it, send me an email. Big hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much! I can never express how much this all means to me!

Lora

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  07:02:17 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I received the seeds on Monday. Thank you SO much! I can't wait to get them in the ground!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Lora

Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  09:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Lora, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you are all healthy and got out ok, but the small things mean a lot, too.
I'd be happy to send you some seeds, I have a variety of kinds. Let me know...
God bless - Lisa
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  10:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Lora,
I have moon flower and garlic chive seeds that I collected and I'm also going to be digging up some wild violets. I don't know how well the violets would mail but if your interested would be glad to send some seeds and violets your way. I might have some dohickeythingamabobs too as I am also a pack rat and trying to clean things out. Let me know if your interested. Oh yea, and my mint is starting to come back too, could sent you some cutting of chocolate mint and spearmint.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What to do..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page