Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Yogurt was a bust-Update 2nd try
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yogurt was a bust-Update 2nd try Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  8:30:31 PM  Show Profile
I tried my hand at making yogurt this weekend. Followed the directions to the T. No luck, it never thickened at all. The starter was just sitting at the bottom of the milk all balled up, never integrated.

This was a boil the milk, stir in the starter and let sit on counter overnight wrapped in a blanket. I'm thinking either the starter yogurt had gone bad and lost it's bacteria or my kitchen was too cool?

I'm going back to the store tomorrow for more milk and yogurt and I'll try the crockpot method tomorrow night.

Any suggestions?

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

Edited by - acairnsmom on Mar 26 2012 2:28:05 PM

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile
No suggestions, but I wish you luck. I'd like to know what is successful, so that I could learn it too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  9:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

Audrey - Are you using "ultra pasteurized" milk? The ultra-pasteurization process kills something in the milk or something - I can't remember exactly what it does, but I know it won't work. You need to be sure it's regular pasteurized milk - not ultra pasteurized. It was a bit of a chore finding it at the grocer, but when I finally did, I had no problems whatsoever making yogurt. (I prefer organic whole milk, but our farmgirl sisters assured me 2% milk works just fine, too!) Also, it's really important to cool the milk down to the right temperature (115 degrees Farenheit) before you add your starter yogurt...

We had a post going about this a while back, but I was unable to locate it for you. Basically, though, here's the website link to the yogurt recipe and directions I follow -

http://www.azcookbook.com/how-to-make-yogurt-at-home/

This recipe doesn't require a machine - only simple kitchen tools and a blanket. It sounded so simple that I honestly didn't believe it would work... but it really, really did! The first time I tried it, I woke up in the morning, unwrapped my blanket to find a lovely pitcher full of thick, creamy homemade yogurt! I am hooked! :)

I hope this helps a little! Good Luck!

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  9:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini. Now I really want to try to make yogurt.

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini. I just bought some more milk today and it just says it's pasturized, I'm assuming that's different than ultra pasturized? I think this is the same milk I used last time. Now I'm wondering about the last milk I used and if it said different or if they just don't lable this as "ultra" when it actually is? Your description of the ultra pasturization killing something makes sense because my last batch was no different between the milk before and after. The recipe you posted was the same one I used and I used a thermometer to make sure the milk was cool enough before I added the yogurt. I'm trying again tonight so everybody, cross your fingers! If this doesn't work I'll assume the milk is ultra pasturized and then I'll look for some that isn't.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  8:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Audrey,
I had a friend that made yogurt daily. She made it look so easy, but I never could replicate it! Good luck to you.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  2:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, I tried it again this weekend. Used the azcookbook recipe again (same as the first try) but this time I stirred some of the heated milk into the yogurt starter, then stirred the starter into the rest of the milk. Then wrapped in a towel and put it into my oven with the light on. I had used my oven previously that morning so it was still a bit warm. I let it sit for 8 hours and then checked. Voila! Yogurt! It was a little runny and I read another recipe that said to only use 2 T yogurt for a starter and that anymore than that could cause it to be runny. So I might try that next time.

But, finally success and I was able to have some home made yogurt for break yesterday morning! Yum!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  2:49:38 PM  Show Profile
Yay, Audrey! YAY!!! I'm so glad it worked out for you the second time! Enjoy! - Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  3:02:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini! I think my kitchen was just too cold last time and leaving it in a warm oven was the trick.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  5:30:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad it worked for you. I haven't tried it yet, but now I think I will. I wonder if using my dehydrator would make it warm enough.

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:43:10 AM  Show Profile
I found that adding some powdered milk to my milk when heating it, before adding the culture, was the trick to getting thicker yogurt. I use 1/4 cup of powdered milk in one quart of milk.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I'll have to try your trick too. Thanks.

Phyllis, I'm not sure how a dehydrator would fit into this but give it a try and report back what you did.

Does anyone know how home made yogurt compares in price to store bought? I should have kept track but I didn't.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  10:11:12 AM  Show Profile
I've wanted to add this link from Sofya over at Girls Guide to Guns & Butter.
It really gives some great info on yogurt making, including that if it fails you can re-heat to 110 degrees & try again, & also in the case of a complete fail, you can make ricotta with it.
http://girlsguidetobutter.com/2011/11/fool-proof-homemade-yogurt-science-techniques-and-troubleshooting/
Sofya is from Azerbaijan & they really know their yogurt.
Also, you can use ultra pasteurized; I do it all the time. I just made 1 gallons worth from organic, full fat, ultra pasteurized that I got on sale for $3. Can't beat that with a stick.
Commercial yogurt often has pectin that makes it thicker, so your homemade may not be that thick, but mine stands up well to a spoon.
One thing to remember is that as far as the starter goes, less is better, as the bacteria don't like to be crowded. I use 2T for a gallon.
Anyway, just wanted to pass on this link. Some great yogurt info.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that link Lisa! I'm now wondering if my fist batch didn't have the right type of bacteria in the starter. I used a different starter the 2nd and successful time. I'll have to double check when I go to get another container. I finished up all my homemade and didn't save any for the next batch. I also used an old brown ceramic bean pot to incubate the yogurt on my second try. I think that helped hold the heat in. The first batch I used an old cottage cheese tub and I think it cooled off too quickly.

I will be making this again and I think I'll be using some of Sofya's advice!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, when I make yogurt, I use 4 cups of milk (skimmed, 2% or whole is fine) and I add 1/2 cup of boxed, powdered milk to it. I bring that to just under a boil (don't want to boil it) and then remove it from the heat and let it cool down to 110 degrees. You can do this by placing the pan in cold water if you want. Then, I put 3 tbsp of Stoneyville Plain Yogurt into a container and add about a 1/2 cup of milk to the yogurt and stir until it is nice and smooth. That gets added back to the milk in the pan and stirred. I use a yogurt maker so that I have separate cups, but whatever you use, that is when you let it sit for a good 10 hours in a constant warm. The powdered milk makes it creamier as does the Stoneyville yogurt. I have tried all different yogurts, yogurt cultures that you purchase packaged and nothing beats the Stoneyville stuff. Oh, and when I want sweetened vanilla yogurt for fruits, I add sweetner (I use stevia) to the bottom of the cups with a 1/4 tsp of vanilla per each cup and then pour the yogurt mixture in and stir. Hope that helps!! Yay for your yogurt making!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Beth! I'll be making some more this coming week and want to try out the powdered milk option and see how that compares to the other way. I love vanilla yogurt too so thanks for the measurements you use, I usually just buy the plain (or now make the plain) and then add flavorings when I'm ready to eat but am never sure how much vanilla or other extracts. I want to also make a batch that I strain like the Greek style. I think I'll just have to make several types and see which I like the best. Anybody ever strain their home made? If so do you let it sit out the 8-10 hours and then strain and leave out even longer or do you let it incubate and then strain in the fridge?

Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yogurt was a bust-Update 2nd try Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page