Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need ideas to help my friend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need ideas to help my friend Next Topic  

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  4:53:20 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend (70yrs old) thats been in poor health for many years and has been home bound. She was hospitalized 5 weeks ago and had to have a tracheotomy(sp?). Now she has been moved into a rest home and has given up. All she is allowed to eat is this thick tasteless liquid, not even ice chips for fear that her lungs will fill up. She was just miserable,and ready to die, so her husband asked her what she wanted...a hamberger and a limeaide! She ate it but we dont know what the ramifications will be. So does anyone have any ideas that might brighten her spirits? She used to be an avid reader, but has given that up too. She also used to like to to the liquid embroidery but isnt able to do that either cause she is so weak. Im going to see her tomorrow and thought Id take her a Fall flower arrangement. Thanks for any ideas...Im just stumped. Hugs, Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  5:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
One of my cousions in her late 60's early 70's had cancer in her throught and had a trecheotomy (sp) and can even swallow not even her own saliva ( feed introveniously every other day). Her entire life changed. It took a little bit but she ajusted. She now does tons of gardening and painting and is healthy. Weird to think that you can never eat again ( her chemo made so much scar tissue and the trechiotomy just made it impossible for it to ever happen ( eating) again). She actually talks ( very quietly) about how life is so wonderful and is thankful for all her blessings. You just have to keep her possitive for a while till she can have a paradim switch and see life as still good if not great. My cousion jokes about how she has an extra room in her house now ( she doen't use a kitchen any more of course) and all the extra storage space that gives her.

Just stand by her and help her to see the good in every thing the silver linning of the rain cloud if you will.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  5:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sunshine! Ive never known anyone thats had a trach before, so I sure didnt know about the food thing. How weird to never eat again!! I sure hope the hamburger and drink doesnt harm her. She had completely given up and her husband just wanted to do SOMETHING to bring her some happiness. Ill keep you posted. Thanks for your thoughts, very much appreciated!!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  5:26:49 PM  Show Profile
My father was in a situation almost the same. He too had given up, he spent the entire last year of his life in the hospital, then in a rehab hospital, but we just kept telling him how much we loved him, and wanted to spend time with him, we read to him, we always put lotion on his legs, feet, arms, hands, and massaged him. We always spoke to him, and it helped to keep him going! Positive speaking and love. Smiles! And prayers!

My heart goes out to you, it is work, but oh so worth it!

with love, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  5:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
It depends on the person how bad the the trec is and why it happened. My cousion had cancer then chemo then the trec so after all ( three things her thought had pretty much seized up and was so swollen with scar tissue that it is physically impossible for her to swallow. I hope your relative is happy and well soon.

May you all be happy and well may you always be close to God and see the good in all things

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  7:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Luzy- Since she liked to read, how about books on tape? That wouldn't require much cost (libraries loan lots these days) and she could be thinking about something of interest. Or music if that pleases her. The rehab should be trying to increase her stamina and strength with physical therapy, has that started yet or is she resisting it? I went through 4 years of my Dad going in and out so
I have lots of experience. We did movie nights and brought the vcr w/adaptor cord, took his guitar to him, came dressed for "Race Day"
and brought him a top hat when the Kentucky Derby ran, my son brought tapes of activities he was in so his POP POP could see his concert, soccer game whatever.
My Dad loved boxing (yuck...) but we did pay per view for some fight and invited his friends over and served "guy food". Small things but I think he didn't give up because we didn't treat him like the man he was went away with this dreadful illness. I hope that gives you atleast a little help or sparks an idea for your friend. It's always hard to stand by and feel helpless. You are a good friend to be so concerned. Love to you both!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need ideas to help my friend Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page