Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 I just need to vent...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic I just need to vent... Next Topic  

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  5:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Ok...My son has apraxia (developmental speech disorder)and is in speech therapy. He starts school in Sept. of this year. I do not have the patience to home school nor the financial resources available even if I could. We live in an unorganzied territory pop. 25 or so (no town government). The state takes care of all the politics of the UT. My son is literally the only child in our town. The school district that he would be going to has 4 elementary schools Addison and Harrington and Cherryfield and Milbridge. I am not originally from the area where I live. I rely on people that I know locally for different information. Everyone that I've talked to has stated to me that Harrington is better, acedemically, than Addison. So, keeping an open mind, I interviewed both the kindergarten teacher and the speech therapist in both schools. I, too, prefer Harrington over Addison, so I planned on sending my son to Harrington. So, yesterday, I called the Dept of Ed. for the Unorganized Territories to arrange transportation to Harrington. Guess what? Cherryfield is closing. The SAD will be splitting that school in two, sending some to Milbridge and some to Harrington. Columbia Falls, who does not have a school, had been sending children to both Harrington and Addison. Those children going to Harrington will be going to Addison as well. I live closer to Col. Falls. so there will be no bus run to Harrington from Col. Falls. So, unless I transport my child to Harrington myself, which the EUT will only pay for transport (which my hubby, me or my mother in law will have to do because of other political reasons that I will not attempt to explain) to the nearest bus stop, 4 miles away from my home, my son will be going to Addison. And on top of that, I have to have a darn good compelling reason to have to send my child to Harrington and I have to write a letter to the principals in Addison and Harrington explaining why. Frustrated...Just plain frustrated.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile
WOW!!!! I see why you would be frustrated. I'm so sorry you're havin to deal with this. Know there are people here to listen and understand. I went through similar stuff with my girls because there are too many schools here, 6 elementary schools, and finally just pulled them and started homeschoolin. I know it's not the right choice for everyone, just worked best for us. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Met with the SAD superintendant today with my hubby. The super said that my son had to attend Addison :( The UT, according to a new 2010 law, cannot re-imburse parents for transport, but has to provide transport whether it is a private contractor or the school dept. So basically, my MIL could transport and get paid for it, but I can't because I'm the parent. Go Figure!

Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Sorry you have to go through all this! What a nightmare! I am all dreading for when Rosemary has to go to school, I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you. Here's hoping it will all get figured out soon!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Update, my son will be going to Addison. Now to just get the transport figured out.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic I just need to vent... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page