Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Moving chickens to new property....suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Moving chickens to new property....suggestions? Next Topic  

midlifecrisisfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barby
Caney KS
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  6:30:06 PM  Show Profile
We are moving in two weeks about 30 minutes away. We have six Black Australorps that are 2 years old. We are not moving our present coop but building a new one. My question is, will moving stress my hens so they stop laying? How do I move them with the least amount of stress. Should I move them after dark? Any advice is appreciated.

Barby

Green acres is the place for me!!!

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile
after dark is always to best way to move or add new chickens to a new coop, set their cages in the coop and leave them inside of them till morn...try to make new coop as similar as their old one, including feed and water placement, leave them alone as much as possible for a few days, till they are calm, you might get a few eggs the first day or two, since they could be developing at move time, some will slow down or stop, some will be fine in the egg department,some might start a stress molt also, either way, all will be back to normal soon...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

midlifecrisisfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barby
Caney KS
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  07:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Tina!

I am looking for something to transport them in. Trying to round up a couple of larger sized dog crates. Thanks for your help!

Green acres is the place for me!!!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile
We moved our flock (a bit more than a dozen from 1-3 yrs old) from one property to another an hour away and put the chickens in a coop that was totally different. We transported the chickens in an extra large dog crate and a couple other cages. This was middle of the afternoon. We didn't have any issues, but I really think it all depends on a lot of different things. I don't remember having a big wait on the return of egg laying, but I do remember that when we moved our first flock from their previous owners to our first coop, we didn't have eggs for probably three weeks. Good luck with everything!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  8:47:43 PM  Show Profile
if you can't move them when its dark try moving them in a dark covered container or dog kennel/crate....leave them in the truck or car after putting them in for a bit before you start driving will help also as they will settle down as if go to sleep for the night if its dark enough....i give less feed about 24 hours before I move them but lots of water.....& remove the feed 3-4 hours before I transport them to a new place....I also will set out a new treat into the new coop for them...like a few mealyworms in their feed dish or even a bit of raw oatmeal on top of their normal feed. I too, unlock the kennel/cage & open it inside the new coop but don't remove it until they decide they want to come out & check everything out.....some hens are more nervous than others & will not lay for a bit & others will have an egg laid the next day...do what you feel comfortable with, they will do their own thing in adjusting to the new home sooner than yoou know & be happy to have a new place to check out....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  8:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Whatever you do , do please be careful not to let them get too hot. Chickens have a normally high body temperature and they will get hot very quickly especially if they are in a box or close to each other. And they can get too hot in a vehicle pretty fast too.

Horse poor in the boonies.
Go to Top of Page

midlifecrisisfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barby
Caney KS
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  06:04:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! These are my first chickens and I have been amazed at how great they do even with my huge learning curve. They are awesome and beautiful creatures for sure!

"Green acres is the place for me!!!"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Moving chickens to new property....suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page