Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Thinking of getting a cow..am I crazy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Thinking of getting a cow..am I crazy? Next Topic  

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  5:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Our land is officially in underwriting so we will own in in two weeks or so. We have kicked around the idea of getting a milk or beef cow. We are a very active family. Dh is an corporate I.T. director (he prefers to be called a "professional geek") and I run a very busy, business from home. Four boys (one being special needs) and two dogs round us out.

I don't want to take on more than we can handle so I am trying to be cautious. It seems that a dairy cow is much more work and I don't know if we could use all that milk! Our land has always been farm or pasture so we are hoping that the grass would be good already although it seems to need some clover.

No matter what I would not do it this year or really even next year as we need to get our garden up and running plus just getting a house built and settling in will take time but I wanted to get a feel for what kind of commitment we are looking at.

Thank you ladies for all your support!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  6:23:04 PM  Show Profile
well i would say it is smart of you to think it through first. i spent today scooping poop. my jersey penelope has poops that weigh more than me. LOL so size of cow is a good place to start thats why i love a half jersey half dexter cow. they call us milk maids for a reason. i feed one end and clean up the other. i still with all the hard work just love what i do and cows. get a bottle baby if you can. raise it up and train it right off to wear a halter and drag a lead. i believe in first calf heifers. they have never had mastitus or udder sickness. there is a lot to learn. i learned a lot from keepingafamilycow.com hope my opinion helps sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  7:36:59 PM  Show Profile
research, research, and research some more...see if anyone around you has a milking cow, and would be open to you watching and then hands on learning, and remember, it does not matter the weather, or if you have the flu, milking still must be done, other than that, I love my swiss brown, she is sweet and kid gentle, I agree, a bottle baby is the best, no bad habits, and you do all of her training the way you want...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  8:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Sherry,

LOL! Sounds like having another kid around although normally mine wore diapers!

Tina..those are great points to remember and thank you for the link!

Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  8:44:31 PM  Show Profile
If you want a dairy animal, would you consider a goat? I have goats for milk. They provide all our family can drink and then some. You can leave the babies on, separating them for a few hours before milking and then putting them back together. That way, if you want to go away over night, or if you get sick, you CAN take a break from milking and just let the kids do it for you. I have done this for 2 years now and while you do have to share the milk, you also retain a lot more freedom in your schedule. It has worked well for us.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  8:53:25 PM  Show Profile

Getting my milk cow was one of the best decisions I ever made. I just love her! You DO need to have people lined up to help with all that milk. I trade milk for hay and grain...so with that and selling her yearly calf, keeping her is free. Having a milk cow DOES tie you down. I don't really have backup with someone else to milk, so I plan any trips or overnights away for the time she is dry a few months each year. I am single, with 4 teenagers at home and have a daycare in my home for my job. I do have to plan my days around milking, but really it is nice...a good quiet time to think and I miss it when she is dry. I do get my cow Mona down to one milking a day (I choose nightime) after about 4 months of twice a day milking. THAT is so much easier for me and a nice break when it is cold in winter. I had goats first for years before I got Mona 6 years ago.(she was 2 years old and preg with her first calf) I adore goats as well, and think they are a good tester for getting a cow...lots less milk to deal with at once for sure. I am excited to see what you do. Do check out the Keeping a family cow website...wonderful. The book by the same name written by Joann Grohman is wonderful. The best for a family cow. Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  05:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
We bought a milk cow this year! We also have goats. We never leave the farm so having someone else to milk or take care of the animals is never a problem. We have her out being bred right now. Just think about it and go with what you think is best for your family.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile
You guys are the best. The more I read the more I am convinced that a dairy cow is just too much for us right now. My husband and I leave town together at least twice a year and usually more than that. If we were more tied to the land as an income it would be more doable. Thinking that a beef cow is more likely for our future.

Thank you so much ladies.

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  1:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
beef cows are pretty easy as long as they arent dependant on you giving them a bottle. They can go a few days with out attention as long as they have grass, hay and water! We have 5 jersey bull calves right now. I raised them from a bottle. They are 6 months old now and pretty much dont require alot of attention.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  1:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Brandee,

That sounds a lot more like what we are able to handle. I hope to have a dairy cow someday but it just sounds like we would overwhelm ourselves. We are tilling for a huge garden but will probably only get fall/winter vegetables this year and I want to ease into the whole "owning acreage" and all it entails. Really excited though! Thank you for the info. You gals rock.

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  05:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
It is a big commitment..lol. I still wonder what i was thinking when i bought a jersey milk cow..lol. I know i can handle it but it is just more things that keep me home..lol Dh just reminds me that keeping the farm going is my "job"(since i lost mine 2 years ago) and i know that what i am doing supports my family so that is what keeps me going.

Good luck with what you decide, whatever it is you will enjoy it!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Thinking of getting a cow..am I crazy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page