KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  07:00:07 AM  Show Profile
I was given a really cool leather settee from the 30's. The leather is bone colored, but it's stained--looks like someone sat a tray of some sort on it (for about 50 years)...I'm not sure if I can get it out, but I thought I'd give it a good try and if not, simply have the leather re-upholstered...Any good remedies for removing stains from leather?

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile
hair spray gets ball point pen ink off...I don't know about older stains but I guess it is worth a try...you just spray it on and wipe off. Good luck..it sounds wonderful!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  08:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Saddle soap?
I recondition leather purses by soaking them (yes, really) and when dry touching up with shoe polish. That 3.95 Coach purse from the Thrift looks brand new! Too bad you can't soak the setee! What about the upholstery part of a wet/dry vac? Maybe call those upholstery cleaning companies and ask if that is something they would attempt!
Reupholstering leather is EXPENSIVE! I had a cushion made for dh's Morris chair and it cost more than my first car! Good luck...

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  10:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Wow. I guess I hadn't thought of the cost of reupholstering with leather....It's SO sharp though, even with the stains! Such a sleek piece of furniture (it's framed with mahogany wood) and the leather really does it justice. I'll try hairspray and saddle soap. I've heard of something mixed with cream of tartar, too, but I don't know what the "something" part is. This is going to be my weekend project, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Removing old leather stains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page