Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Question? Stains in old porcelain sink!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Question? Stains in old porcelain sink! Next Topic  

rnbzmommy
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Amy
Robinson Illinois
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Send rnbzmommy a Yahoo! Message
I just bought a old house and I love it! It has alot of the old touches love it love it. But the sink has stains. I didn't want to use bleach but on of my friends that was helping me move in poured some bleach in it and it didn't get rid of it either. I remember seeing something about baking soda but I can't remember what it was mixed with or how you did it. SOOO. if any one knows how to get rid of it please let me know..

Thanks..
Amy K

Flip Flops and Farmers Tans!

Flip Flops & Farmers Tans!

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  4:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Get a can of "Barkeepers Friend." It'll clean it right up! Good luck and congrats on your new home! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Also along the same lines as Barkeepers Friend is one called Zud. I bought mine at WalMart. When we bought the house we're in now, I had to figure out a way to get the stains out of my porcelain tub (lots of water stains and just old age) because I wanted to keep it (nice and long!). Zud cleaned it up like it was brand-new.

Either one will work wonders!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  5:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I've had great luck using a pumice stone. You can get the little ones at the drugstore, but I did find a huge one in the home cleaning aisle at Walmart. We get unbelievable rust rings here and this takes care of it.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  6:25:01 PM  Show Profile
I used to teach school in a super old (over 100 years old) school house...I tried everything to get the sink/fountain in our classroom clean...the winner was Ajax with ALOT of elbow grease...I mean I scrubbed that sink for 30 minutes or more!
Good luck
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Question? Stains in old porcelain sink! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page