Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Memory Help Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have suggestions for improving memory? Lately, my mother is having some short term memory issues. I have her eating coconut oil and she is taking tumeric, krill oil, blueberry supplement, and several antioxidants. At night she takes melatonin because she has sleep problems and I know that lack of sleep affects the memory. I read that 3-5 ounces of any kind of wine helps the brain, so she's started drinking a small glass of wine at night before retiring. Nothing seems to be helping. She tells me she's crazy, but she isn't. She's smart, but very forgetful.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  07:35:55 AM  Show Profile
If this is worse in the winter try adding some vitamin D3 to her supplements as it could be the effects of SAD. I have it at 51 and take D3, it seems to help some but I have only been on it a short while.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  12:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Judy. She's taking D3, but, now that I think about it, her dosage probably isn't high enough. I'm going to look into the safe levels. Do you know what they are?

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  5:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bella, ask her doctor about B12 injections, there are studies that prove it does help improve memory issues. Not the over the counter pill form but the injections. Most are done monthly.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hoosiercountry

Hi Bella, ask her doctor about B12 injections, there are studies that prove it does help improve memory issues. Not the over the counter pill form but the injections. Most are done monthly.

Thank you. She did have her B12 levels checked and they were okay. Don't know where to go from here, but we want a natural route to healing if at all possible. I've heard that there are bad side affects with medications for memory.

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2012 :  9:54:17 PM  Show Profile
AARP always suggests games to keep the mind sharp. They have some posted on their website.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  5:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Memory Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page