Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  3:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Two weeks ago Mom and I visited the Cary Fall Fling in downtown Cary, NC.

There were tons of vendors, including some nice folks from up near Grandfather Mountain. They make jams and jellies too, so of course, I had to try and sample -and was hooked. The only variety I don't have access to that they sell is red raspberry.

So, what's a good variety to plant for this region? (I'm near the middle of the state, close to Greensboro and the zoo)

Do I need to buy canes now or wait 'till Spring?

Note to Brightmeadow, this jam definitely had the seeds, but no bitter. Maybe raspberries aren't as bitter to begin with.

Restraint was difficult and I enjoyed a few nightly vanilla ice creams smothered in some yummy raspberry jam! So I have a better appreciation for folks who like my own jams and jellies and can sit there w/ a spoon! I came mighty close.

Thought I'd be cheeky and order more Raspberry. NOPE! I could swallow paying 6.00 for a halfpint, however add this PLUS 6-7 more dollars for shipping.. OUCH!!!!

So now you can see why I might want to try and grow some of my own.

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  8:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Ooooohhhh - I just LOVE red raspberries - my neighbor has some wonderful ones growing in her yard - when I see her next, I'll ask her what kind they are and when to plant...

I could eat about a ton of them...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
We have red Raspberries that grow wild here and we also have ones that are cultivated. I was under the impression that they only liked cool wet climates becasue my other half's mom said they could not grow them in eastern oregon becasue it was to warm. i hope you are able to find some that will grow in your area.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  7:08:36 PM  Show Profile
It is also my understanding that raspberries do best in cold climates (like Michigan), but I would bet that there are cultivars bred specifically for areas that aren't normally ideal for raspberries.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Red raspberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page