Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Grand son not walking.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Grand son not walking. Next Topic  

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile
My grand son is 16 months old now and is not walking. Both my boys walked at a year old. I just found this out to night. I got up set because that tells me my intuitions have been right all along. Do some baby's not walk at a year old? Should I be concerned about this? I will be seeing him finally on the 20th of this month and we will start getting our visitations. I am really getting excited. I will have him walking in no time.....I want to cry now. I am so glad I have fought for him. I hope he has not been neglected and that is why he is not walking.
My heart aches now. 13 more days and counting and praying that he is coming home safe.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

Debra B
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Debra
Thaxton VA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  01:52:21 AM  Show Profile
My daughter didn't start walking until she was 15 months old. Out of the 6 kids (not counting my dd with Down Syndrome) walking age was between 11 and 15 months. The one that was latest to walk just didn't like trying new things, still doesn't. We had to keep her in skirts for a few days until she would try walking. She just wouldn't do it while crawling still worked for her.

Debra

Homeschooling mom to 6 beautiful blessings
Pastor Joe's wife
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  06:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dorinda my first child didn't walk either till much later. Whenever she tried she'd fall flat on her face. Don't worry it will happen.

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  06:52:07 AM  Show Profile
I didn't walk until late (15-16 mos.)!! - Because no one would leave me alone long enough!

I was always held, carried, pushed in a stroller, put in a seat, etc. Finally when my poor mother was almost ready to pop with my little brother she begged the Dr. for advice. He replied, "Put her down and leave her alone." Sure enough I started to discover my own world.

Just wait, when the time is right he will start moving - then you will beg him to stop running!!

www.durangodream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  07:58:21 AM  Show Profile
My husbands cousin didn't walk until she was 26 months, someone was always carrying her so she didn't need to, they finally put her down and refused to carry her and she learned.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile
my daughter didn't try to start walking until about 16months and couldn't walk until she was 18months. I wouldn't worry about it at all. My daughter didn't walk early because someone was always carrying her around much to my dismay. I got so frustrated with people telling me there was something wrong with her and telling me that she must have developmental problems and telling me that is not normal and I should have been working with her doctor about it. I know these people were well meaning but when I start getting yelled at like I'm a bad parent, I just had enough. Go figure, my son (child number two) started walking at 7-8 months. By 10 months he was cruising. So I wouldn't worry about it, every kid hits their "milestones" at different ages :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  3:16:03 PM  Show Profile
My first daughter walked right after she hit 11 months, my 2nd, 3rd and 4th daughters didn't walk until they were closer to 18 months because we were often on the go or I was carrying them around a lot.

I wouldn't worry - but I'll be praying for you all that everything is ok.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  02:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Some kids don't walk until 18+mo. Depends on the child. If their brain is concentrating on other things (fine motor skills, verbal stuff) and they're getting around by crawling or whatnot, the walking just isn't high on their priority list. An old boss of hubby's had two girls - one started walking at 11mo, the other at 18-19mo. They're fully grown (mid-30's now), can walk quite well, and even have healthy children of their own now. The late-walker caught up just fine.

If abuse/neglect truly is a concern, well, that's a different story. But if it's not, please don't try to really, really push it. The last thing you want is a frustrated child and an annoyed parent (yeah, my mom and IL's freak out on me because my 8yo doesn't read yet - his brain hasn't quite hit that switch where he can 100% distinguish between "b" and "d" and no manner of wheedling or bribing or shaming is going to make him learn it quicker).

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed

Edited by - Lanna on Mar 13 2012 02:25:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  11:59:42 AM  Show Profile
Know how his diet is or if he's seen a pediatrician lately?

I'll never forget this obscure "true stories of the ER" show-- there was a child about 2 that wouldn't walk. If his parents tried to make him he would scream and refuse. It turned out the boy had scurvy because his very young parents didn't know he needed to eat more foods than oatmeal.

It's probably nothing so exotic, but it would be a good thing to rule out quickly while you start giving him his chance to run.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  12:05:30 PM  Show Profile
I would simply think it's that all children are different--Violet walked a bit at 10 mos, but then stopped and went full force at 12 and I could never keep up with her after that. My nephew, Max, didn't walk until 15 months--his legs were quite large (we called him Rugby baby) and he just simply didn't have enough strength yet to pick them. He did an "army crawl".

Talk with the pediatrician and see what she says. If the child isn't pulling himself up on anything, or attempting to do so, then it could simply be noone has worked with him or given him the incentive.

That will change quickly! Get your trainers on, Gram!!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:25:26 PM  Show Profile
My youngest DD didn't crawl till 11 months and didn't walk until 19 months. The dr said she had the leg strength, just not the desire. Once she started, we couldn't keep her down!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  05:04:10 AM  Show Profile
We are just about the same as Angela, the post above. Owen took longer for these things because I never put him down.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Grand son not walking. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page