wovenheart
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Dona
Washington State
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  10:35:01 AM  Show Profile
My dh & I have a favorite spot on an island near us that we spend hours beachcombing for sea/beach glass and heart shaped pebbles. I come home and clean it all up and once it has dried add it to our collection. I keep it in a huge old fish bowl, looking at it throughout the day just brings back the memories of all the times spent together always ending our day with a delicious meal at our favorite waterfront restaurant! Anyone else collect things from the sea?

"It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder...It's the stillness that fill me with peace."

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  12:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Dona, I too love things from the sea. I was born, and grew up in Florida on the east coast. I have loads of shells. Have collected small, yes, even little strawberry shaped ones, that are pink and large ones from the keys! They too remind me of my family trips, walks and love of the ocean. I grew up with a sea loving father, and those remind me of him. Thanks for helping me to think of that today! I miss him....

love, hugs, and strawberries from Richards, TX, gloria g.

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile
I love sea glass, have a VERY FEW pieces, that would be because there is no ocean nearby. I can get a few from the lake Erie shoreline if we are down there, but its a very rocky beach so finding any is hard, unless you want to count broken beer bottles. So how lucky to live where you can find it. Strawberry shaped sea glass? ok, Berries I believe you.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  1:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
We have a vase full of shells from where I grew up in California we would go to the beach every summer. We took our kids a few years back and they collected alot I have a large vase that holds 2 dozen roses now it holds lots of shells and no flowers just as lovely to me though

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Okay Nancy Jo! Strawberry Shells!!!!! Little pink spiral ones silly!!!! I love U!

strawberry fields forever and ever!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  10:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Dona .. when we lived 'by the sea' .. i did indeed collect 'sea treasures' .. used to have a big jar with a cork .. filled it about 2/3 full of beach sand .. and inserted small 'beach finds' .. it was fun to turn it over and over to 'discover' buried treasure!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  10:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a "gifts from the great lakes" collection. It's mostly stuff my kids have picked up during our trips to Lake Michigan. I keep them in jars and go through them every once in a while. Now I'm even sadder that we never made it to the beach this year!! Oh well, I'll just go through my shells again.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  11:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Funny you mentioned that, my hubby and I just spent the evening of our 30th anniversary (on Monday)doing just that. Although we live but a mile one way and two miles another way (west and east) of the water, we went to the beach where we spent many happy dates in our teens. Sifted through the sand for beach glass and "found" objects. Watched the most glorious golden pink sunset.It was a wonderful night.

Also just purchased a vintage copy of "Gifts From The Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindberg. Lovely reading.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "Gifts From The Sea" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page