Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Troubling nerve issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Troubling nerve issues Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile
My dh had back surgery about 11 years ago for two ruptured discs in his back. He did great for many years -even working in a cheese factory lifting heavy totes all the time. About 5 years ago he started having trouble again. He doesn't like to go to the doctor and doesn't want to get addicted to meds.
We've tried massage therapy and chiropractic which helps a little bit, but even the DC said his only option may be back surgery again. Now his legs aren't working right and he stumbles and falls a lot. He says he can't feel pain from about mid chest down. He can feel sensations like pressure and when nature calls, but no pain. I am so worried about this because he is also diabetic and he has Lyme disease. We check his feet even more now since he can't feel pain. He's being stubborn and won't go to the doctor because we don't have insurance.

I know that the last time the Lyme disease was active, he had trouble walking because his feet hurt. His original tick bite was on his left thigh. I am just wondering if the back problems could be a combination of the Lyme disease becoming active again and disc trouble.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  4:43:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lora, I'm so sorry that your hubby is having such difficulty. I know that diabetes and Lyme can cause neuropathy but I would think that would be mostly in the extremities. it's so hard when you don't have insurance and things cost so much. you are smart to keep an eye on his feet with the decreased sensation. I know low b vitamins can cause nerve problems. I wonder if a supplement might help, b12 maybe also. just kinda thinking out loud sorta.

wish I had a better suggestion, it's just one of those things that really needs a good doctor to check out, preferably one that is Lyme literate. will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. please keep us posted on how things are going. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  04:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Lyme Disease can do many things to the body and organs. It lies dormant and then comes back and manifests itself as other problems in organs and tissue.
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46176 Check out this topic link about Chronic Lyme Disease. My DD has been suffering and fighting it for over 15 years.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  07:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, ladies. Any advice we get is truly appreciated since Lyme is still so misunderstood by the medical community. His sensations come and go. He stubbed his toe the other evening and actually felt pain. Funny part was so did I. He stubbed his toe on my ankle! I was sitting on the floor in front of the couch and he wanted to lie down on the couch but had to step over me to get there. It was funny! We were both laughing about what dorks we are!

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  11:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, It seems like a doctor visit sounds like the best way to find the answers. good luck, saying a prayer for you both.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  7:25:52 PM  Show Profile
My late husband had chronic nerve pain, due to a branch of the radial nerve being severed during surgery- and later repaired. Things that helped him were:
1) Seeing a physiatrist ( special kind of pain doc)as his primary care doc for the care of his original worker's comp injury
2) Feldenkries treatments and cranial sacral therapy
3) Dry skin brushing as advised by the therapist of the two treatments in #2 above
4) Acupuncture

Workers comp wanted to pay for less and less over the years, but he had these services covered especially before his worker's comp insurance failed and was bought out by the State of California.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  7:27:55 PM  Show Profile
Also, there is some kind of a treatment that some chiropractors offer, FORGOT what it is called, for people with back injuries trying to avaoid surgery. It involves technology, like lying on a machine. I know this sounds very unsophisticate- I will see if I can remember it or find it online.

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  01:55:20 AM  Show Profile
I've had nerve problems since my first back surgery 25 years ago. They put screws in some nerves that control my legs. My screws, and rods, etc, move often, usually a few degrees every year...it could possible his has moved are putting pressure on nerves.

I wish I could feel the bathroom pressure sensation, I haven't had that since 25 years ago either! UHG! Causes a lot of problems. I have control of those things, but holding them in for days cause I don't remember to go, cause I feel no "pressure" is not good on your body. Since I have grown up, I've learned to just make myself go at certain times of the day even if I don't feel the need, that way I am not doing damage to my body that I did the first few years after the surgery and didn't realize that sensation was gone forever.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  05:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Heather! I can't imagine not being able to feel the pressure to go. I have a bit of an overactive bladder- I wish I could share with you!

Lora- I am so sorry you and your husband are struggling through this difficult time. My sister has really bad insurance and both of her boys and her husband have had major medical happen in the past few years. It is a terrifying place to be.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Troubling nerve issues Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page