Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Bible Study "Having a Real Relationship With God"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study "Having a Real Relationship With God" Next Topic
Page: of 4

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  4:13:44 PM  Show Profile
This bible study was written a few years back by Kay Arthur. I have always wanted to investigate it and become closer to God. Maybe you would like to join me.

Each week or 10 days, a new chapter will begin. There are different scriptures to support each chapter. I would appreciate your comments and understandings, as we all can grow from others.

CHAPTER 1: Romans 5:6-11

1. What is our culture seeking today? What does our society advertise will make us happy?

2. What is the dictionary definition of relationship?

3. Are there different types of relationships? with parents? children? co-workers? friends?

4. Was or is there a relationship that changed your life (good or bad?)

5. What is your current relationship with God? Are there barriers?

6. Read Romans 5:6-11 Circle the words we and us.

7. Underline the word(s) love.
How does God see us? Really in our heart of hearts, how do we see ourselves? What is a sinner?

These are enough questions. These points are for your meditation and if you care, your contribution. For many reasons, we sometimes feel very distant to God. What is holding us back or keeping us from Him.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to write. Blessings!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  4:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Claudia...thanks for doing this study. I just photocopied it and will work on it the next
few days.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2012 :  5:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Peggy. There may even be some questions that need to be asked that would fit right in with the study. I look forward to what you have to say. ;0)

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  03:53:51 AM  Show Profile
I just printed it out. I plan on getting in the Word shortly. This will be a great place to start today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  07:05:05 AM  Show Profile
I feel that our society today is so far off track. I think people are seeking instant gratification, fame , money and sex is advertised and talked about everywhere.. the commercial we see on tv are so explicit years ago they would never have been allowed on tv.
Yes we all have many different relationships with different people. I personally have had relationships that have changed my life.
My relationship with God is nowhere near where i want it to be. I feel that i need to study more and develope my fatih stronger.
My thought is God sees us as his children and loves us all and wants the best for us so we can all have eternal life with Him.We are so lucky he is an all loving and forgiving God, and has written the Bible as a guide book for us to follow to get us through our lives. we are all sinners saved by the Grace of God.
I'm a bit shy being the first one to comment on the study, as im sure many of you have much more to add. I look forward to hearing what the rest of you write. thanks for putting this study together.. cheryl

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  10:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, don't be nervous about being the first, because what I hope this study becomes is one that has no "pat" answers...boom..we move on. I hope it becomes one in which we not only scratch the surface, but dig down into not only what God has for us, but Who He is and who we are, and why we may not be as close to God as we should. I hope we become detectives, and see what these scriptures really contain and hold for us. I don't think there are any wrong answers, but hopefully this becomes a study in which we choose to become more vulnerable to Father God and choose to remove the barriers we may have put up for protection etc that hold us back. May God reveal His heart and our hearts to us. Blessings to you Cheryl.

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile
well said Claudia, i will continue to enjoy our study.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  6:28:33 PM  Show Profile
The thing that stuck out the most to me was that at just the right time...when society and self was the weakest...God sent his son Jesus to reconcile us back to God. To put us in right relationship with God.
He didn't wait for us to clean up our act, get our "stuff" together, quit sinning, or quit flirting with the world and all it's allure. I have heard so many people say over the years...I will go to Church once
I get my act together, quit doing this or that and can be totally serious about following God...but I am
not there yet. Yes, You are! Yes I am! God didn't give us a laundry list of bad behavior that he wanted us to work on before we were good enough for Relationship with Him. He met us at our greatest point of need...our inability to do anything for ourselves...that has any lasting affect. I looked up the word "Relationship" - it means having a connection, association or involvement with. A connection by blood or by marriage. An emotional or other association between people. and the last was being sexually involved.

Jesus is our connection to The Father through his blood.
He wants us to be emotionally connected to The Father, Son, Holy Spirit and each other.
And we are called the Bride of Christ (the body of believers).

God wants Relationship with us...a day to day time of being in His presence.
He wants us to know that we can't accomplish anything in life on our own, apart from Him.
He doesn't expect us to clean up our lives and get rid of our "stuff"...he wants us right
where we are at...so that we know How Great is His Love, How great was His sacrifice,
and How we can find strength in Him through our weaknesses. He wants Relationship not Religion.

And Cheryl...there are no pat answers. Our Relationship is intimately personal with the Lover of
our Souls...and everyone is different. And He loves us like we are the only one He died for. That
if it had only been our sinful sorry self...He would have layed down His life for one as well as
for many.

Thanks for doing this Study Claudia.

Live Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  7:15:47 PM  Show Profile
I love what has been said so far. So much meat to chew on for weeks. I want to go into what y'all think about the word relationship. I'm throwing in another word with relationship. VULNERABILITY!! How does that affect our various relationships...back to quest #3. It is important for us to understand the meaning of those words and how it affects us personally. I will share my own thoughts about that tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2012 :  9:25:46 PM  Show Profile
Claudia: Seven powerful questions to think about. The first question really got me thinking. I was going to say that I could answer that with one word, falseness. However, I will take time to think and write out exactly what I mean by that. Like Peggyann said, I'll make a copy so I will be able to not be too harsh at my comments. I like your thread.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  07:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! I hope you are finding time to pray and think about your relationship with God. Personally, my heart was dying as I listened to the survivors of the tornadoes say that whatever they did to survive as it came over, most were calling out to God to protect them...and their children. Others did not survive and I can't imagine the deep pain they are all in now. When interviewed, some "thanked the Lord" for being there. We here in our area, without all the bad weather complained because our favorite team did not win in their basketball class. A small disappointment compared to the loss of others worldly goods and loss of life. I feel ashamed.

I thought I would add some of the things I have been thinking about with the Bible study. I agree with the definitions given. To me words like vulnerability, respect, and place of honor come to mind. We react differently when we nail down just what our relationship is with a particular person or group.

I feel that some may have a relationship with God that can just be a culteral experience..a social event just to go to church. Amy Grant once said that"we all have cultural experiences, but that isn't the 'real thing.'" Our time with God should be extremely personal. I grew up in a the same church where my parents went, but it wasn't til later that I heard this....God doesn't have grandchildren...only children. He wants us to be called sons and daughters...to be born of Him...not from another. Others can help, but it must come to a time when we say something like...I want you as my heavenly Father...I want a personal relationship.

However, I think our relationship with God as Father is often dependent on the relationships we have fostered here on earth. It is the grace of God that gives us the right relationship with Him, because some of us may have a remote (holding back our heart)relationship with our parents. Maybe it was based on how we performed in their presence....not being able to share what we felt. Were we one who might have been ignored or lost in a crowd because of other siblings or situations needing their time etc.? Were our relationships affirming, parents being there for you...were there hugs, smooches,a feeling of securit?. Was there divorce in the family affecting how we reacted with one parent or the othe? These are all things that may affect how we "see" our relationship with our Heavenly Father. This may be a time of reflecting about what barriers we still have with those primary relationships... that may affect how comfortable we are with God. Remember, just as God came daily to The Garden to have that relationship and sharing with Adam & Eve, He is still waiting to have that time with us. It wasn't until Adam & Eve sinned and sewed leaves together to hide themselves, did it affect their time with God. To me, those leaves reflect what we may have in our lives that protect and cover-up our hearts from God & others. May we do better than Adam & Eve.

Anyway, if you feel any of my thoughts may hit the mark with you in your life, it may be time to talk to God and give Him permission to show you what leaves you have that may be keeping you from the perfect relationship with Him.

Blessings Ladies.Asking God to give you a double portion of His grace to you today!

Edited by - buffypuff on Mar 06 2012 08:01:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  1:25:17 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if there are any more comments, but I will continue on. We are still rereading through Romans 5:6-11.

1. According to verse 8, when did God demonstrate His love to us and how?

2.What was our status when God demonstrated His love to us?

3.What was the state of mankind when Christ died for us?

4.What questions come to mind? Why are we helpless? What is a sinner? Whose enemy are we & why?

5. What is the definition of justified...and how does it pertain to us?

6. What is reconciliation?

The question we need to ask ourselves is...where do we stand in our relationship to God if the Bible is true?

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  3:05:43 PM  Show Profile
This past Sunday at Church our pastor was preaching on Relationship and using the Scripture..."There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" Then at the end of the message he had an alter call for those who are still hanging onto "stuff" that hinders their relationship with God because it causes them feelings of guilt, shame, regret,sin, loss, anger, etc. ~ When we had first came in to Church we were given
pieces of paper and told only that we might need them. So, our Pastor asked us...what issue, sin, or stuff
is condemning you and keeping you from Authentic Relationship with God? Then he said to write it on the pieces of paper we were given. And when we filed back to take communion there were 5 or 6 big Crosses by each communion table (remember I go to a Mega Church)...with hammers and nails available...so that you could nail those "Issues" or "Your Stuff" to the Cross and leave it there once and for all. And walk away feeling that truly There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. As I took my communion back to my
seat and started praying...in the background I heard continual hammering going on. And it made me weep...knowing that so many people had the head knowledge of that Scripture but they had never taken it to
heart and believed it was meant for them. I also felt such JOY because I knew they were going to leave
church that day "Free In Christ"...free at last. Nothing hindering them from a Relationship with the one
who came in to the world...to heal and not to condemn. It was BEAUTIFUL! And so goes along with what we are
studying here and what I am also teaching in my Thursday Night Bible Study Group.

Live Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 08 2012 7:33:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  4:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, that was really cool. Sometimes we all need something physical to do, to impress upon us what really needs to happen in our hearts. For me personally, my Dad had a terribly stressful physical job, and he would come home and sit down and read the paper. I was an only child, so as I told Dad what had happened at school that day, I had this picture of my Dad listening behind the paper. It took me years to realize that I thought God the Father had too many other important things to consider (behind a spiritual paper) to answer my prayers or consider me worthy. When I realized it, I was able to repent of my misconceptions of God and also realize that my dad was wonderful and gave me his attention in other ways than what I thought he should. It wasn't until I admitted it (confessed it to God) and asked for forgiveness that I felt a closeness to God. It made my relationship with my own Dad even better. I think nailing those thoughts on a cross would have helped so much. Thanks again. By the way, as I approach 67 in a couple of months, I realize all the wasted time I had not really sharing my heart with God or my Dad. Thankfully, Dad & I were very close before he passed away.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I have been out of the loops on Mjf lately. Been busy with gkids and family situations. If its ok? Let me think on these questions some and comment this weekend? I don't want to throw things off a bit?!
Love the questions......much to ponder on.

Hope each of you are having a good evening

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  8:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Linda...there has been little response, so whatever you have to offer is welcome. I figure that some of us need different things at different times, and whoever is here is supposed to be here. You are never too late or throw things off. Big hugs!

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  5:58:08 PM  Show Profile
im still with you Claudia i read the posts daily and very much appreciate the study you are sharing with us.. thanks for doing this. cheryl

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  4:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for those who have contributed. It boosted my morale to continue on. Thank you again.

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile
In the beginning, we discussed what society wanted and how we were to act to become acceptable. In an age when many in our society lack integrity, when it seems that our ethics and actions rest completely on our personal judgement, feeling or desires. The buzz word is tolerance and absolutes are rejected, we need to know how God defines sin and what sin leads to.

There are several scriptures that we will use during this section, and I will add some as we go along.

1 John 3:4, 1 John 5:17, James 4:17

1 What is your definition of tolerance?
2. What is sin? And what are some examples of sin that may not seem so obvious?
3. What is lawlessness? Does that mean one who maybe speeds? Withholds the truth? Gossips? Thinks of another man in a romantic way (other than your husband?) Or does it mean someone who breaks a law...is it just action..or something in our heart.
4. How do we know if we are lawless?
5. What is your definition of unrighteousness? Is there a difference between that and lawlessness? (The study says there is.)

On the surface this may seems very easy, but if we start examining the meanings and how we fit into those definition, it may be one of the pillars of our foundations with Jesus.

Blessings to you all!

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  12:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, there has been much to ponder about?! Thank you Claudia for doing this!

I think we live in very unique times. Some good things, some bad things about these times of today. We are soooo bombarded by society as never before, I think, in part because of technology. It's great that there is so much access to communication! Yet that access also puts in our face a lot of negative and counter to God stuff as well. The media seems to influence what society eventually becomes , good and bad!

Yet, technology also offers some amazing and uplifting things...hence those of us enjoying these forums!
There are wonderful websites, blogs, etc that encourage and bless. Even our phones now have awesome apps of scripture, bible study encouragement no matter where we are!! Some of these sites have been such an incredible blessing to me as I am more housebound than not?!!

Thru these sites I am finding connections to ministries and ways to be able to serve as well.

I think society and those immediately around us, sadly influences often the way we see ourselves and others. As you stated Claudia.... Often our experiences can reflect and get in the way of our perceptions of God and Who He is!

It takes time, work and faith to sometimes break thru all of these barriers that so often get in our way!!

I am trying albeit slowly, to learn to lean on Him more, trust Him more.
He desires to be our # 1, our everything! And there isn't a better place to be!!

Well, will read and chat more in a day or two! Look forward to what you ladies share.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2012 :  6:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello sisters! I just found you so sorry for jumping in the boat a bit late. Claudia awesome job!From earlier the bit about relationships and vulnerability hit me hard. I never felt open to truly pray my personal request with others. Oh I would pray for them and surface stuff I would share but the deep truths were hid for just the Father.Vulnerable. Yes my relationship with my dad played a huge part in that also.Bringing this up to the present verses in 1john and james. We do live in age of grace but it seems the church in an effort to escape legalism has become so worldly we cant tell us apart from the world we are to try and win. Is sin anything that comes between us and God? If we are willing to hear what He says wont the HOly Sprit reveal the hidden matters of our heart to us? Bit by bit we chisel away the sin and become more like Him. God never changes. Society does and whats "ok" one day might not be the next but with Him we know where we stand. I liked it when you said we should be detectives.Digging is where the treasure lies.To me unrighteousness is before salvation. I am righteous thru the blood of Jesus Christ. When I sin9knowing to do right and choosing to do the other)I can go to the throne repenting and because of His shed blood recieve forgiveness. There hows that for input:)
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  2:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda and Lea. I agree Linda that technology has made life a lot easier. I have watched a few old Westerns that were around when I was a kid. I used to fantasize about being on the plains and herding cows and doing some of the things some of our farm girls do today. As I am in my 60's I have decided I have neither the will or the energy to do some of the everyday chores it takes to maintain. As things may have improved with the techno age, I think that human nature in its purest sense has not. On facebook, I reposted a picture of a young man with his pants below his "butt" showing his underwear. I know you know what I mean. I wonder how these young men can walk. Thirty- 50 yrs ago, dress like this would not have been tolerated, but it seems to be acceptable or at least endured. There are several things I want to say, but don't exactly know how. It seems that society expects us to accept all things about all people when it comes to morals etc. I don't think Jesus did that. Take the woman caught in adultry. Men were ready to stone her to death, and yet Jesus knelt and said that who was without sin to cast the first stone. HE CONDEMNED THE SIN AND NOT THE SINNER. He loved her and told her to go and sin no more. We, in this day and age, I think believe we must accept the sin along with the sinner...therefore we may have lost our standards... our moral compass. Now I am not talking about anyone personally only society in general. HOWEVER, on the other hand, I see so many people, Christians included, act like the men standing ready to throw stones...if not literal stones, verbal ones. I see that if another has a different point of view from me....religion, politics, race, gun control....all hot buttons. I care not to talk about any of these subjects, but only the attitude that is behind each on both sides. I see some of the most unloving, even hateful attitudes. It causes division and even Christian against Christian. The Word says that a house divided against itself shall not stand and they will know us by our love for one another. Where is our loving attitude to discuss and learn and maybe pursuade another. I hate what the bickering is doing to our country. Boy....I hope to not have offended, but in all issues, I want to see a person's heart...try to look at it as Jesus does.

off my soapbox now. Lea, it is hard to be vulnerable. Our pasts may have caused use to withdraw...or maybe not to even have a relationship in right standing with God. I heard once, that a person sees their Heavenly Father with the same eyes they saw their human father when they were a child. An example would be that if the father was always busy at work...even helping others, but shared little time with his family, that the child would perceive God too busy to answer their prayers...or that a person may not even feel worthy enough to be helped (as the earthly father didn't take time to help his own.) We need to forgive our earthly fathers of their inadequacy and then ask God to forgive us for judging. "Whose sins you shall forgive, they will be forgiven...whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." Well, that is a premice I am working on for the moment. Have a great beginning of April and Spring.I hope maybe some of my words may cause us to talk more and grow in God's grace.

Edited by - buffypuff on Apr 01 2012 2:09:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Claudia I have heard that also. I can see where that statement comes from. In my life however it was the exact opposite effect. I drew closer to God and saw Him as the Father I was missing and needing in my life. I did repent of the judging.We had an awesome service this morning. What a glorious day God has blessed us with. Isnt it fun to dig deep in the word? I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  7:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

Claudia - I love this study! Thank you for hosting it! I hope it's okay if I join in, too? I know I’m a little late, I’m sorry. It’s so crazy-busy here… I promise to try to stick with this as much as possible. It’s just going to be a little tough until home school is out for the summer…

First, I’m seeing that there are “degrees” of sin somewhat; that God considers some worse than others. Yet, we know we all fall short of the glory of God. We also know that our best is as filthy rags. Isaiah 6:46, “All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.” Where does that leave us, really? I believe the Bible tells us that there is nothing we can do to overcome the law without Christ - only He does that. If we bind ourselves to meet the law, then we are back under the law and separate from God. In Romans, Paul really discusses this at length. Christ makes us righteous - not our actions, not anything we do or say. We are righteous, as they say at Mass, "THROUGH Him, IN Him, and WITH Him, through the unity of the Holy Spirit, in the Glory of God the Father."

If we chose to ignore the law and do what we want or what we "feel" is good, we are separating ourselves from God. The only way to God is through Jesus, and through Jesus, we are free from sin - it has no affect over us anymore. That does not mean that we are not tempted to do things that we shouldn't, it simply means that with the help of Christ, we can succeed in resisting temptation. James 4:7: "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." Neither does that mean we have carte blanche to go on doing whatever we feel is right and that there will be no consequences for our actions. When confronted with something we want to do, or when there is something in God’s Word that we disagree with or which doesn’t make “natural” sense to us, the question we should probably first ask ourselves is: Do we trust Him, or do we trust ourselves? Trusting in themselves really worked against Eve and Adam, didn't it? We see that time and again throughout the Bible. The second question I think we should ask is: Should we, His children, conform to God and be transformed into His image, OR, should we, rather, expect that He conform to us and our likeness? Those are some pretty sobering questions for me, and really help me keep myself in check.

I think the lawlessness we’re talking about here is more the lack of respect for God’s law, which defines right and wrong - the way we should live.. If we live according to His will, it will go well for us. If we do not, there are consequences. Sometimes those consequences do not go beyond our earthly experience, for example, if we eat consume something that God has warned is bad for us (say, mass quantities of alcohol), chances are, we’re going to get sick. That may not be the best example, but I think you get the idea. At other times, however, our actions truly have eternal implications, as with something that the law defines as being an outright offense to God; then we’ve got some serious accountability. Jesus, of course, fixes all of that when we seek His mercy and forgiveness, as stated in 1 John 1:9: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” However, if we do not seek forgiveness, or, if in our hubris and human stubbornness we live antithetically with the law because we believe we “know better,” well, to me, that's like slapping God in the face...then we’ve got REAL problems. When we knowingly continue to sin, what are we truly saying to our Savior? Rather than describing it as a slap to His face, it's probably more accurately akin to brazenly contributing to His scourging at the pillar. When you think about it in those terms - oh! How heartbreaking and humbling!

Let me also just clarify that we are not under the Law, because the law condemns us if we rely on it to save us. Only Jesus saves us. But He didn't come to remove the law - He came to perfect it. The law is our guide to living (in the most simplistic of terms, of course), but it cannot save us - Christ alone is our salvation.

Truthfully, I think deep down in our hearts we know if we are "lawless" because those in Christ Jesus have the Holy Spirit to guide them, just as Jesus promised. God's law is bound in our hearts and minds. The problem with us is that we so often push down the things that gnaw at our hearts when they are things by which we'd rather not be confronted or with which we'd rather not contend. But if we have the Holy Spirit, He never give up on us. Ever. He loves us too much to give up on us, I believe.

I think you are so right, girls about society and how we have almost become desensitized to what is right and wrong in God’s eyes. The thing is, we cannot judge sinners - we’re supposed to help them find Jesus and the truth. We have to be really careful about that. And sometimes, it's just so hard to find that "happy medium," for lack of a better expression. Publicly siding with something that goes against the grain of society will get anyone labeled and targeted for ridicule. Add God's Word and Will and your faith into the mix, and then we often face persecution. Then again, that's what we're called to do, right? And we don't want to offend, but oftentimes people WERE offended by what Jesus had to say. I tend to think, however, that those who were offended really didn't get to know Him - they let their prejudice lead them instead. So sad.

A very dear friend from childhood and I were talking this afternoon. She pointed out the importance of being “salt and light” to draw people into the fold. If our lives do not glorify God in such a way that others want what we have, then we really have a lot more work to do than we thought. The thing that really blows my mind is the person who goes through life and never looks in the mirror or evaluates what they do or have done. Being “righteous” is not a position - it’s more like being a constant, walking work-in-progress, like you said, Leah. God is constantly picking us up, cleaning us off and setting us back on the right path. If we cannot admit our faults and shortcomings, failures and misunderstandings, our "wrongs" - how can we ever relate to others and ask them to trust us when we extend our hand? The whole "holier than thou" thing really only pushes people away. To me, "tolerance" means that we realize that all of us are at different stages in our walk with God, and that we must be patient and loving with each other. It does not, however, mean that we condone or look the other way. We are still responsible for our brothers and sisters. We're not their "keepers," per se, but as brothers and sisters, we have to be there in love and be honest. Sometimes, though, the only thing we are able to do is be the strong one to lovingly lift them up when they fall and then carry them to the Physician for healing, you know what I mean?

As an aside Claudia - I’m so with you about the pants and underwear thing. I have a real issue with that with our son and his friends. I'm a parent of the "sagging pants shame." It's horrifying to me! I used to say “My son will NEVER…” And then, boy did I get humbled. It’s a constant struggle. I’m constantly “embarrassing” him in public by reminding him to pull up his pants (even when he’s wearing a belt). Today, as a matter of fact, he blushed to crimson when I whispered in his ear that his underwear had a little tear, so he should be extra careful about not letting his pants slip down. He had a FIT that I would embarrass him in public like that! My response was, “Well don’t you think I’m embarrassed to see you that way? And aren’t you more embarrassed by your pants falling down than by your mother whispering a gentle reminder in your ear?“ Ugh! His response is that this is how they are made, and he constantly shows me the belt he wears and points out how ineffective it is. (He is also really bad about coordinating outfits, much to my chagrin.) Any attempt to help point him in the right direction is regarded as an offense, the result of over-mothering, of being too rigid. I keep working on him, though. Don’t worry! There’s still hope for this crazy generation - parents just can't give up! LOL!

Hugs and blessings to all -

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 01 2012 8:29:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  04:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Claudia what did the study say was the difference in unrighteiousness and lawlessness? I am curious. I remember one of the things I repected from my grandmothers generation was they walked the walk you know? They believed it a sin to wear pants or cut hair. I did not but no matter how hot out or what they were doing they lived their convictions.That drew me to a strong faith I could have no matter what. We are needing to instill that in our young people. Know what you believe and why. Know your bible for yourself. Not what others tell you it says. No one can take that from you and you will stand strong in your hour of temptation.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  3:48:25 PM  Show Profile
I am here to ask for forgiveness as this study has been so sporadic and I have definitely been hit & miss...mostly the latter. If it is OK, I'll get on with it. Lea to answer your question regarding the difference between unrighteousness and lawlessness: "Lawlessness is a constant state of the heart, a disregard for natural authority and that from God." "Unrighteousness is not adhereing to God's rules or the way we know to walk." My understanding of this..is that sin in unrighteousness personally, but lawlessness is a state of being. Mirium Webster calls lawlessness anarchy, rebellion. Unethical, vile and dirty are synonyms for Unrighteous. If I keep thinking about it, I totally get confused, but they both are tied up with sin... so as with James 4:17 "..to one who know the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin."

According to Isaiah 53:6..we are all like sheep who have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way (sin), but the Lord has caused the iniquity (sin) of us all to fall on Him." Here we are at Good Friday, a time already for most of you in those hours in the afternoon that He hung , pushing his nailed feet against the nails holding him, just to give relief to his wrists and allow Him to take a deep breath. He had suffered and been beaten the night before, up all night with bleeding wounds across His back, thorns in His forehead and scalp, spit on, yelled at, beaten and kicked, with no time to rest. Constant badgering and then carrying a heavy wood up a cobble stone hill to Golgatha. It was that day, that as He died, He took all the sins we were born with and those we would ever commit and let them wash into the ground with the droplets of His blood... just like sins circling the drain..never to be seen again. He took us out of chaos and lawlessness, bought our unrighteousness and gave us a covering of righteousness, so that as we believed and believe in Him, we are continually free from the Law of Sin and Death. Even as it was done on that day as one act, He is continuing to be the Good Shepherd that will go out after the sheep who wonder off on their own and go astray. That is us, ladies. We are His sheep, provided for in His pasture, and sometimes we are dumb enough to wander off. He leaves the safety of the pen and goes after us, and brings us back to safety and home.

May we as this Good Friday comes to an end, and as Jesus lay quietly in the tomb, may we take some time to be quiet also and reflect on what great a price was paid for us. More in a few days! Blessings of the Risen Christ!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Bible Study "Having a Real Relationship With God" Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page