Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 400+ year old downed red oak--HELP!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic 400+ year old downed red oak--HELP!!!! Next Topic  

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  6:59:26 PM  Show Profile
We have a friend whose gorgeous red oak was pulled down by a tornado. This think WAS one of the oldest (if not the oldest) red oak in KY. He was going to have it chopped up and hauled away. We want to use it in the new house we are building but to say this thing is massive is to say that the ocean is sorta large. The limbs are bigger than most mature trees and if you spread your arms to circle it they don't even cover one side. I have no means to move such a massive tree but the thought of it being made into wood chips and firewood makes me teary.

Would a mill barter with us on such a tree? Maybe they mill half for us and keep half?

ANY suggestions would be SO helpful.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  04:36:36 AM  Show Profile
There are people around that have portable saw mill rigs. Might be an option.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:11:39 AM  Show Profile
Contacting someone with a portable saw mill is a good idea.

Just to put this out there, when we had to have a large ash tree removed from our yard my husband asked the workmen if they would cut him one cross section from the trunk. He wants to someday make a guitar body out of it. They were happy to oblige.

I don't know how much of the tree you want, but if your friend needs to get the yard cleaned up quickly you might be able to ask the company that does that to leave some portion for you. Then you'd have more time to figure out how to get it milled.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:35:50 AM  Show Profile
if it were me i would post on craigs list in your area for help. i would look in phone book also. if you call some of the wood cutters they may know some one. just ideas for you. hope you figure it out. sad to lose such a fine tree. i would feel as you do sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  09:12:40 AM  Show Profile
I do hope that you will be able to find someone to cut the oak for your use. That would be an amazing to made use of such a beautiful tree. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  10:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Look for someone in the area with a log boom truck that could take it to the mill for you. Usually they and the mill will do this for part of the lumber or part of the profit.

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic 400+ year old downed red oak--HELP!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page