Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  10:41:13 AM  Show Profile
This is interesting from the first page. A great look into the lifestyles of the rich and famous in the early 1900's. Zelda was the wife of F Scott Fitzgerald author of The Great Gatsby. Posted a picture.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  10:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i remember reading alot of f.scott fitzgerald in high school. i graduated in l969, yes, i am an 'ole lady, as my sweetie olivia says.
i cant remember if i read zelda or not.
there is a movie about t.s. elliot's wife that also depicts that period, and surprisingly enough his wife was also hospitalized for the last 11 yrs of her life . she ended up having thyroid disease without any treatment.
i have to say it but they might have to hospitalize me if i was married to f.scott, or t.s. ellot. ....just saying.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, about TS Eliot, he also had a nervous breakdown from the strain of trying to care for his mentally ill wife at home while working full time. After she was hospitalized he got a divorce and her family took over her care, but he didn't remarry until after she died. I haven't seen the movie, but I think from what I've read that they got married young and against their families' wishes. Pretty sad all around.

Nancy, you might like the book I'm reading right now. It's called The Last Mrs. Astor, by Frances Kiernan. Brooke Astor inherited a fortune from her third husband and became a hugely influential philanthropist in NYC. She was born in 1902 and lived to be 100 years old, and she was active in running her foundation up into her 90s.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2012 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile
That does sound god Amie, thank you.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page