Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The end of the WalMart Greeter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The end of the WalMart Greeter Next Topic  

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  04:00:32 AM  Show Profile
On Thursday I hit our local WalMart for a shopping trip that included a return of an item that I didn't need.

At our WalMart, when you have a return, the Greeter would stop you on the way in and tag it. It usually took quite a while and the handheld device that they used to speed up the process would without fail make it quite an ordeal.

Anyway, on Tuesday, the Greeter was nowhere in sight and I felt like I got away with something being able to walk in without having to stop at their little kiosk. But, I was sad to hear from an employee that "a few days earlier" "THEY" had announced that there would be no more WalMart Greeters!

A sad fact to add to this tale is that the employee who told me about the end of the greeters pointed out that the elderly former greeter was assigned parking lot clean up. It was a terrible day - windy, cold - just awful. My dogs were inside that day.

So, what do you think? Will you miss the WalMart Greeters? Did you appreciate that WalMart employed older people for those positions?

And does anyone else remember the good ol' days when Sam Walton ran the place and it only sold goods made in America. AND WalMart refused to advertise because it would increase the cost of goods they were selling.

Marianne

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  05:37:16 AM  Show Profile
Well what I have to say is that I use to shop Walmart but not anymore as they don't stand for they say they do. They let American companies in for a few months then put then out like the trash. This happen in mt area to 2 companies .
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile
We try not to shop at Walmart if we can, though in our area we do have other options, we're in a larger centre, though the stores do seem to be multiplying like rabbits, it seems there's an announcement of another bunch opening up everyday.

It is disturbing if they are asking their former greeters to handle the parking lots becuase as you pointed out many of the greeters are elders who really shouldn't be doing such strenous work.

One more reason to avoid the company if you can.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  07:44:33 AM  Show Profile
I got a kick out of our Wmart greeter a few weeks ago. Hubby dropped me off in front of the store, so I wouldn't have to walk through the parking lot in the wind. Once inside, I grabbed a cart (one that hopefully didn't have the dreaded wobbly wheel) and was waiting for hubby. The greeter took it upon himself to school me on how to return an item! I said I didn't have anything, just waiting for hubby. He said it didn't matter, I should know how to properly return an item! Heh!! He was so earnest and serious, I couldn't tell him no...so, I listened, then thanked him, hubby came in and on we went, leaving the greeter to straighten out all the other incoming customers.

I'm sorry to see them go. I have to shop Wmart due to prices, but, I've noticed the other stores are now doing lower prices without all the cards and promotions. Which I like. All the cards and things just drive me nuts trying to keep up with them.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Also, http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com is back up and running! Please check it out! Puh-leeze...??

My newest experimental blog: http://lostadventuresingreatdeals.blogspot.com Check it out!!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
SAD!

I liked visiting with greeters at Wal-Mart and I know for a fact that their jobs were important to them if not socially then definitely for the income...It all comes down to the ALL MIGHTY "BUCK!" Doesn't it?

It made me mad to hear that they were booted OUTSIDE to pick up trash instead of being indoors. One humiliation after another. You know, the more news I hear about Wal-Mart the less I like them as human beings.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  08:49:45 AM  Show Profile
While I think it was "good" of walmart to hire greeters who were older or disabled I guess people who do shop there will miss seeing them. If I have to go to walmart for something I'll just do without--that place creeps me out (always has) now the only time I go is if I am picking up my dad's prescriptions and I try to get in and out and he just won't change pharmacies. It does rather suck though, that it seems a company who tries to put out a "we care about people" image would get rid of the greeters and have them doing jobs they probably shouldn't be (an elderly person out in bad weather...that's just asking to get sick). At any rate, I guess it doesn't make much difference to me as a shopper though because I don't go there for antyhing other than the occasions when I have to get my dad's medicine.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh that's horrifying...my elderly first-cousin-once-removed has been a greeter for YEARS because they need the extra money since her husband had a stroke. I am SO glad I don't shop there anymore! They won't see another penny of my money if that's how they treat people.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  09:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Now I'll never get a job! Maybe they will hire someone virtual?
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6583 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6583 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile
That is sad to hear as I really enjoyed our Walmart Greeters as they were always so happy to see you, had a smile for you or a joke, as they felt useful and were able to get out of the house, enjoy life and be around folks.
What is Walmart thinking? They need our older generation as much as we need them. Guess I will put my 2 cents worth on the subject in our suggestion box next time I go to WalMart.
Thank you Marianne for bringing this to our attention.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Deb

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  1:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Wow is Wal-Mart hurting. Cutting back on employees when so many people are out of a job. Hum interesting.......

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  1:08:36 PM  Show Profile
There is no denying that WalMart has destroyed many small businesses and downtowns. It has been shown time and time again. But, back in the 80s WalMart was true-blue American and ONLY sold American made products. I really liked that. I have a friend who has worked in Accounting for WalMart since she was in high school. If anyone has seen the company change, it's her!

WalMart just makes me sad.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
I noticed the greeter wasn't there the last time I went to the store. I was wondering what happened! I live in the Phoenix area and the weather here is the opposite extreme in the summer with temps well over 100 degrees! Elderly and disabled workers should not be in any of these extreme weather conditions pushing carts or cleaning up the parking lot! That's just down right insulting!

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

my mama's (ceejay48) craftiness ~ www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
my daddy's craftiness ~ www.aspenforge.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  3:48:48 PM  Show Profile
that's too bad, our greeters were always charming old gentlemen and they were usually the only ones in the store with any personality or customer service skills
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  4:01:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you Patricia.The only ones that talk to you are the elderly people.The younger ones ,if you say hello ,they just glance at you and go back to the job.That just down right sad!

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2012 :  7:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Walmart has also changed their price-matching policy. They don't match generic brands anymore. One more reason to shop elsewhere for me.
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  1:40:36 PM  Show Profile
I just happened to see this and yes, that's more than a bit disturbing!

My boyfriend's cousin and I went on a 3 day rant about WalMart while Clete and his family were in town. I'm blessed to live in Texas with a store called HEB that has GREAT prices, runs or owns most of the fams where they get their produce, dairy, and meat, and they are NOT publicly traded. My Momma works for them and they have been VERY good to her. I would actually go into HEB withdrawal if I moved away from them. Momma's store actually has their own IN HOUSE meat market... as in, meat cutters who know what they are doing and cut what YOU want if they don't have it on the shelf!!!

No company will ever be perfect, but it's sad to see what WalMart has become. My future in laws live in the town where Sam Walton was born, and I went to their store with my future mother in law.... what a sad place! I wonder what old Sam is thinking now!!!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.bricolagewedding.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  2:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
There is one lady greeter at ours that I've gotten to know and I saw her just the other day at Walmart not in her usual spot at the door.
She was further in standing in the aisle but in direct view of the door. I stopped to talk to her about it and she said they were moved to "Customer Service" and have to be in a different spot to function in "Customer Service", not officially as "Greeters. She rolled her eyes at me and said she didn't understand what the difference was other than she couldn't be out at the door, helping with carts and such. She wasn't sure what the next step was, but for now, still had a job.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  6:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I am glad she is still employed. I don't know if our greeters are still employed!!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Nana Shirl
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Shirley
Kit Carson Colorado
USA
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  4:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Nana Shirl a Yahoo! Message
Walmart is only worried about walmart and the $....and how much they can support China!! So much is taken away from our people here in the USA..who need the jobs...I make it a point to not shop there..I do without...the nearest one is 60 miles from where hubby is working now...hmm my $ won't make or brake them..

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

rock003
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Amber
Independence ky
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile
We still have our greeters at our local Wal-mart, but they aren't elderly or nice. But for those elderly ones who were directed to parking lot clean-up, well thats just awful! These are our grandmas and grandpas! What ever happened to the heart felt companies that cared about their employees?
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  8:51:10 PM  Show Profile
What happened Amber is they went out of business because Wal-Mart moved into town. Americans must start shopping at their local small business's again and buy American made products. It's the only way our Country is going to get economically sound again. I don't have any ill will towards Wal-Mart but then the closest one to me is 60 miles away and with gas at $3.94 a gallon, we don't leave town.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com
www.etsy.com/shop/cybertiques

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  03:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Ginny,
I agree with you. We do need to shop at our local stores and remember how much we appreciate not having to "run into town" for something because they have it on hand for us! But, then, WAlMart comes in and the stores close and WalMart is THERE with such low prices. I feel awful shopping there, but what's a gal on a budget to do... They are this necessary evil sometimes.

I do try to support the little guy. We had a video store in town (a few years back when we still had video stores!) and a big name chain came in with lower prices. We stayed with our smalltown store until they had to close. OF COURSE! Well, now the big name chain store is closed, too.

wish we could turn back time.
(Tipping my hat to Cher.)

Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The end of the WalMart Greeter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page