oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  6:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Which do you prefer, and at what fat content...I raise my own beef, and I prefer ground chuck at a 80/20 percent, I think it has better flavor and doesn't get dry like lower fat contents, sooo just curious how others like it, be it home raised or store bought...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  06:30:29 AM  Show Profile
I like it all, and buy different types of ground meat depending on what I'm making. Though I typically use ground chuck at 80/20 for most things, I do use ground sirloin for burgers. I would make my meatloaf with ground chuck (and pork). Soups, chili, spaghetti sauce all has ground chuck. I'll use ground beef in lasagna simply because it's cheaper.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2012 :  6:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I'd prefer Ground chuck. I buy the beef from the grocery store. To me, ground round is much to dry.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  05:54:30 AM  Show Profile
I prefer ground chuck. We have a small meat market here that I try to get to every other week. I like their ground chuck there.
I had planned on buying a steer from a 4-Her out at the county fair this year to have processed. The sale was last week end but I was to sick to make it. So maybe next year.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  1:40:40 PM  Show Profile
I buy what's on sale, but try to stay with 80/20. I got so mad the other day at the grocery, I told the meat man I was very offended! Most the larger chain stores (Kroger, Meijer, etc) are selling strictly certified black Angus. No offense to those of you who raise Angus, but I was raised on Holstein. So now what are Holstein farmers supposed to do? Those spotted bovines aren't just for milking, ya' know! My grandpa raised thousands of Holstein steers for over 70 years. We had raised one of our own, Sir Loin, and he was tasty. The last two we bought (Jersey's) both got lung infections and died. We haven't tried again. We are trying to eat more chicken anyway. I can keep those alive! lol.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ground round or ground chuck? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page