Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Flags at Half Mast for Houston? Really?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Flags at Half Mast for Houston? Really? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  06:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Nini you put it together so much better than I did. I am in total agreement.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile
A few years ago, then-Governor Jennifer Granholm signed Proclamation 2003-4, requiring US flags to be lowered to half-staff throughout the state of Michigan and half-mast on Michigan waters whenever a resident of Michigan is killed in the line of duty. I don't know if any other states have this requirement.

This is from the US Flag Code (Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 7): "By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress."

In any event, neither of these apply to Whitney Houston. I think the Governor of New Jersey might've bowed to (uninformed) public pressure.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  9:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Jessie Mae for taking the time to track down flag protocol, I appreciate it!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  02:35:53 AM  Show Profile
The governors of many states routinely order their state flag to be lowered when a "favorite son" (or daughter) has died, in addition to the more customary government officials. It is more a matter of community cohesiveness and pride than of patriotism. It also shows some respect for the grief of citizens who were related to, or were friends with, the deceased. I think it's a nice tradition.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  03:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Mara, I agree and I think that is exactly what Governor Christie had in mind. I think we sometimes confuse "flag" to always mean the stars and stripes. This is reference to the State flag. The governor has more lenience to ordering that flow at half staff.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  05:36:07 AM  Show Profile
getting a little off the subject---but kind of on it----isn't it sad how we human (Humane?) beings talk about, gossip about, bring up the "dirt" of someone who has died???? Maybe write a book about that person many years later,make a profit off of their side of the STORY.

I just shake my head and wonder where our society is going.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Flags at Half Mast for Houston? Really? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page