Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Flags at Half Mast for Houston? Really?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Flags at Half Mast for Houston? Really? Next Topic
Page: of 2

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  07:04:44 AM  Show Profile
I am so disgusted with the Governor of New Jersey for even considering lowering "our" flag at half mast for a celebrity drug addict-Shame on Christie....

Correct me if I am wrong but I grew up in the service, my father put in over 20-years and my brother is a vet so how come protocol is being cast to the wind allowing such an honor to be bestowed upon a civilian? I thought it could only be lowered for PATRIOTS? Am I misinformed?

Melody
Farmgirl #525

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  07:24:03 AM  Show Profile
No you are right. it is a shame that the flag is lowered each time we lose a military person in iraq or Afghanistan or other areas of the world...I am saddened by this lack of what should be done...I don't think other than a President or Vice President the flag should be lowered unless a military personal has died...but then I don't make the rules...but those who fight for the flag should be the ones honored by the lowering of the flag....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  07:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Yup, I am pretty disgusted too. I find it very surprising that a conservative politician who had considered running for President would do something so thoughtless as this.

It is shameful.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Ditto!

Flag Code:
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  08:17:57 AM  Show Profile
and the results of her autopsy have not come in yet, so I will not "KNOW" what caused her death until then...if the media announced every death from drugs, everyday in this country, that would be all they talked about..even if that is what she died from, that does not make her evil, addictions are "HELL", and unless you have been in her shoes, you can not fully understand...

as far as the flag being lowered to half-mast, it may not have been proper, but I understand the reason...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile
The priorities of people in power seem very way out-of-wack lately.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  11:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sad! Sad!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Boo, hiss! Very disrespectful to those that serve!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  3:06:07 PM  Show Profile
It's rare that a flag is lowered for a soldier that has died fighting for our country. There was no dignity in her death. That he is lowering our country's flag for an alcoholic drug addict makes me furious!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  3:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi :) I am glad to see I am not the only one to think that lowering the flag for a celebrity is so wrong. Especially a drug addicted one at that. Will there be protesters, spitting on her casket as well, or is that just reserved for our soldiers ? All I can say is shame on those who are breaking protocol !!!!!

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  4:43:18 PM  Show Profile
It is disrespectful to our soldiers that served out country. Seems celebrities get more publicity than our own presidents do!!!

Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:02:26 PM  Show Profile
I think it's inappropriate to lower the flag for a celebrity, but as for her being drug-addicted, "judge not lest ye be judged". I believe Jesus said that.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:08:32 PM  Show Profile
just so you all know, my late husband fought in Nam, my youngest son did 2 tours in Iraq, and yes they and all military should be honored for their selfless acts, but, the flag at 1/2 mast is for policemen/fireman who have died in the line of duty, for Presidents, current and former, and all sorts of differant people for differant reasons. Here where I live, our flags have been at 1/2 mast more times than I want to remember for young men that lived here, and joined the military and died protecting our freedoms...it is a crying shame that a women who "had" a beautiful voice, got mixed up in the life she lived, and probaly died because of it, whether being high, or the damage that her body got due to the drugs, I don't know. I hope she was sober, as many said she has been since 2009, but either way, the "only" one who can judge her is God, not any of us. As far as the Govenor is concerned, I hope in his mind, he did what he did for the right reasons, even if it was wrong...I will not speak ill of the dead, I never walked in her shoes, and not many people have, may she rest in peace...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

DollyDoodles
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Emma
Minnesota
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:25:06 PM  Show Profile
That is sure a slap in the face to our military and others that serve our country.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  5:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I can't see this from a military stand point as I don't have any family in the service right now but I think Whitney certainly was an amazing talent that leaves a beautiful legacy of music. I know there are many brides who have precious memories of dancing their first dance to her music. I think maybe he wanted to honor what her music has meant to many of us.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Michelle Farmgirl #85

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangledthreadstn My Altered Art

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tangled-threads My Garden, etc.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Edited by - tangledthreads on Feb 17 2012 5:38:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  6:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Well stated, tangledthreads!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  05:31:25 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it is right to lower the flags for celebrities. I think our media and the younger generations idolize celebrities way too much. I think the flag should be lowered for fallen military who died defending our freedoms. My DH and SIL are both active duty and have served 5 tours between them in combat. If either of them had made the ultimate sacrifice, I sure hope the flags in our State or local community would be at half mast.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  05:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Even if one does not have family in the military, just look around at all your freedom and rights because someone's husband, son, daughter, wife, brother, sister died so we can have these rights. Not because someone died who could sing. Every American benefits from the military, and certain privileges should be reserved for the military men and women. Not for some one who can sing. Shame on you Govenor

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  06:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Tina and Cindy!!!!
Regardless of the views on the flag issue? Why is it always easy to judge others?

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  1:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I can understand everyone's outrage. But, I think the Governor said it was the State flag that would be at half-mast. And I think he had the backing of a lot of New Jersey residents. I don't think the US flag was involved. Many people don't agree that even the State flag should be lowered. In this case, I think it's New Jersey's argument not mine, since I live in WA.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  3:00:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

just so you all know, my late husband fought in Nam, my youngest son did 2 tours in Iraq, and yes they and all military should be honored for their selfless acts, but, the flag at 1/2 mast is for policemen/fireman who have died in the line of duty, for Presidents, current and former, and all sorts of differant people for differant reasons. Here where I live, our flags have been at 1/2 mast more times than I want to remember for young men that lived here, and joined the military and died protecting our freedoms...it is a crying shame that a women who "had" a beautiful voice, got mixed up in the life she lived, and probaly died because of it, whether being high, or the damage that her body got due to the drugs, I don't know. I hope she was sober, as many said she has been since 2009, but either way, the "only" one who can judge her is God, not any of us. As far as the Govenor is concerned, I hope in his mind, he did what he did for the right reasons, even if it was wrong...I will not speak ill of the dead, I never walked in her shoes, and not many people have, may she rest in peace...

Well said.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  4:09:08 PM  Show Profile
She was also a Jersey native, so I can see this.

For the US flag? No way in !@#$! Reserve that one for those who fight and serve for our country for crying out loud!

I didn't hear which flag it was.

She had a golden voice and indeed did a world of respect for the National Anthem.. that's for sure!!!!

This is purely opinion here , but I rank her voice up there with the likes of Freddy Mercury, Barbera Strisand, (sp) and Judy Garland.

I agree though too, the likes of drug abusing celebrities shouldn't be elevated to such levels.

I am still in shock over the death of Michael Jackson. I grew up listening to all his stuff and the Jackson 5. Boy what I wouldn't give to instantly download all kinds of his music to my IPOD, but knowing his questionable ethics- be they true or not, ....I cannot knowing that someone else in that family will now squander his fortune. Same with Whitney's too. So based on that and crappy Bobby Brown trying to get his hands on her fortune. I won't download any more Witney. Pity for her daughter until she is 18
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  6:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Okay question? Do you think they did that because she was the last person whom sang the national anthem and it was so good that it climbed all the way to number 20 on the charts. So she was the last person to ever put the song back out there for people to hear and buy? Hum did I explain that right? Anyways do you think that is why they lowered the flag?

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  6:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Prayin Granny....I was not directly or indirectly implying any kind of judgement regarding drug addicts. And to clarify...I have had several very close people in my life deal with drug addiction and alcohol addiction. I am no stranger to what that does to people; both young and old... and what it also does to people who love them. As the bible says He who has not sinned cast the first stone...that's not the issue here. My question is based solely on PROTOCOL regarding flags at half mast.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2012 :  10:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Melody ,
Sent an email to you thru the forum

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2012 :  12:22:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I had posted last night, but when going in to edit my post, I deleted it instead (a regular occurence when I'm too tired and shouldn't be at the computer) - sorry.

Here is an informative site concerning flag protocol: http://www.gettysburgflag.com/flyflaghalfmast.php

I think that the Governor was well-meaning but misguided to say the least. I believe his decision was made to honor of Ms. Houston for her incredibly moving and inspirational singing of the National Anthem at Superbowl XXV. National pride welled in the breasts of all who watched as she brought down the house. I'll never forget it - ever. She was simply amazing.

Having said that, I don't know whether flying a state flag falls under the same protocols as that of flying a national flag, but I do feel that there are so many other appropriate ways that the Governor could have chosen to honor Ms. Houston. Flying a flag at half-mast is usually reserved for the military or a statesman or a fallen police officer or fireman or a community leader, such as Martin Luther King, Jr. Although Ms. Houston did inspire through her music and contribute through her philanthropic endeavors, she did not give her life for this country or her community, nor did she dedicate her life to the service of others. I do understand why the Governor's decision has upset and offended so many. Flying the flag at half-mast is definitely an honor that should be reserved for those who serve and who have made enormous personal sacrifices for their community and country. Governor Christie really should have better served by choosing an alternate way of honoring Ms. Houston for her contributions.

At this point, what she was into or how this happened is immaterial. I'm sure we all are well aware that none of us are beyond reproach in this life, and all of us would want to be remembered for the love that poured forth from our hearts. This incredibly talented woman is gone and the people who loved her are suffering. Each of us has lost someone important - someone who, to us, at least, is larger than life; so surely we can all imagine the unbearable pain her loved ones are experiencing. With deepest sympathy and heartfelt compassion my prayers truly go out to them.

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Flags at Half Mast for Houston? Really? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page