21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  08:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi There

Hope you are all well.

I have grown some tiny melons in my garden called mouse melons, I believe they originated from Mexico. They are a bit like a cross between a sour cucumber and a tiny water melon. I have heard that you can pickle them. I just wondered if anyone would know the recipe or how to do this.

They are good in stir frys and salads but I am not over keen on fresh but would welcome advice to know what to do with these sweet looking tiny vegtables.

Thanks Belvedere babe

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  7:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Susan,
I know nothing about these tiny melons but was able to find this online...hope it helps!!
Hugz!

Mouse Melon Salad
The best mouse melons for salads are the tender ones less than 1 inch in length that have not developed many seeds. You can tell whether they are tender by simply squeezing them. If they are an inch long and feel hard, they should not be used — better to save them for pickling.

The delicious sweet-and-sour flavor of this salad depends a great deal on the quality of the mango you choose, so be certain that it is sweet and fragrant, yet still firm. If the mango is not sweet enough, adjust the seasoning with a bit of sugar. The salad also should have a slight kick of heat, but go easy on the hot chile because it can overwhelm the dish very quickly.

8 ounces small, narrow string beans
or young cowpea pods
8 ounces young mouse melons
1/2 cup onion, sliced paper-thin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 mango, peeled and finely diced
2 tablespoons sweet red pepper, diced
3 tablespoons cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon hot chile powder,or more to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
Juice of 2 limes

Trim and cut the beans or cowpea pods into 1-inch pieces. Cook in a vegetable steamer or poach in boiling water only until slightly tender (about 5 minutes).rain and set aside. Cut the mouse melons in half lengthwise and put them in a deep work bowl with the sliced onion, garlic, mango, sweet pepper, cilantro, hot chile and salt. Stir, and then add the beans. Whisk together the olive oil and lime juice and pour this over the other ingredients. Allow the salad to stand about 20 minutes, stirring from time to time so that the flavors mingle. Serve at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  03:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susan -- I know nothing of mouse melons (but love the name! “sandia de raton” in Spanish) -- found this from Mother Earth News:

"Mouse melons are terrific in stir-fries; they can be pickled just like French gherkins, eaten raw in salads or put up like Polish dill pickles. They also can be chopped and added to salsas for extra texture and flavor."

So I guess you can just use a French gherkin recipe for making pickles.

They sound adorable . . .
Go to Top of Page

belvederebabe
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  06:01:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Thanks both of you for your replies,

I will try the salad if I can get those ingredients in the UK but I have tried them raw and must admit found them a little bitter. I though that pickled in a pretty jar they would make lovely little Christmas pressie's. I will do as you recommend and find a picked french gherkin recipe.( I assume that french ones are the tiny ones).

They really are cute looking, like something in a child's novel or fairy story. I have yet to try them in a stir fry......

SwampieSue
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile
I'd never heard of "mouse melons," but they are definitely something I think I'd like to try growing next year - have you had success with any recipes yet? Also, Susan - where did you get your seeds, anywhere special that you really liked?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  2:44:49 PM  Show Profile
My mother lives near the Mexican border and I think maybe I've seen these growing wild. What fun to find out what those cute little melons are called.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

belvederebabe
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

susan
great yarmouth Norfolk
United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  10:38:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi there,

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier, went away for a few days....

I got given the plant from a friend, but I think she got the seeds from a site on the Internet.

It still have not done anything with them, went out today got the vinegar forgot the sea salt for the brine. Also don't know whether to use white vinegar or malt.

I will get there in the end,

Swampiesue
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mouse melons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page