True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  5:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I was just going through my list as to what seeds I'll need to purchase this weekend, and found that I have a lot here already left over from last year. They ARE still okay, right? Or should I order new seeds just in case. I had purchased them from Baker's Creek, and had luck with most of them, so if I can save a little by using what I have, that'd be awesome. I did save some seeds, too, so I'm pretty jazzed. We're going to be starting our seeds this weekend! I'm so excited!

Also - just a couple of quick questions about potatoes... Is it true that I can't replant them in the same area of the garden in consecutive years? I'm really, really diligent about building up the soil every year, so I was thinking I might be alright to use the same patch for them again this year; but if you think it's better to rotate - I will definitely rotate! And do you know where I can buy non-GMO starter seed potatoes?

Thanks so much - I really appreciate your help!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  6:02:48 PM  Show Profile
Nini:

As long as your seeds have been stored in a cool dry place they should be okay again this year. I use seeds up to 3 years after the year they were produced and rarely have any trouble with them. I'd suggest you try them first and if they don't work then buy new ones.

I don't know of any seed potato sources on the East coast. I buy organic seed potatoes from Peaceful Valley Garden Supply and Irish Eyes out here on in the West coast.

I always rotate my crops on a 4 year cycle. It prevents insects and diseases from getting a foothold. In the case of potatoes which I grow in containers, I rotate the soil out of the containers every year. I think it would safest to plant your potatoes in a different place this year.

Well, thats my two bits. Good luck and have fun starting your seeds this weekend!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  7:18:21 PM  Show Profile
Awesome!!! Thank you so much for letting me know, Marilyn! This is such exciting news! If the snow isn't too, too bad tomorrow, we're heading out to get the ingredients to make Mary Jane's potting soil and I'll be starting seeds soon thereafter! Yay!

I'll have to check into those two West Coast sources, because I haven't been able to find anything locally at all. I had originally planned to do potatoes in old tires this year, so maybe I'll just do that and then rotate the soil annually like you do - that sounds like a REALLY great idea! Then I can wait to rotate everything else another couple of years! YES!

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! I will definitely be thinking of you while planting! I can't wait to see the little seedlings sprout!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 10 2012 7:18:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:10:48 PM  Show Profile

I started my cool season seeds last weekend. It has been unseasonably warm here, so I took advantage of a few warm days to get a little jump start on Spring. It's supposed to cool down again this weekend, so now I'll probably have to turn the heat mats on.

Another company I forgot to mention that has organic seed potatoes is Territorial Seed Co. in Oregon. You might also check around on the internet. I looked in my plantsource directory and there appear to be to be a few organic potato growers listed in Maine.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  12:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ninibini,

I order my seed potatoes from Wood Prarie Farm-certified organic farm in Maine. (I live in New York State.)

You can order a catalog or down load online.

www.woodprairie.com

I love the red white and blue seed potato collection. 2 seasons ago we potted them in large pots along the path. I was real fun dumping and counting the colored potatoes.

Jessi Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  06:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Ninibini,
Just like Marilyn said, your seeds should be OK, maybe just a little less of a germination rate.
As for potatoes, go to www.SeedSavers.org They are in Iowa and have all heirlooms including potatoes.
I buy all my seeds and potatoes from them. Very interesting website and information about saving seeds.
I grow my potatoes in containers every year. I compost the soil from the containers into my compost piles in the late summer.
I will make new soil for them this year. I also do the same for my tomatoes.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Feb 11 2012 06:04:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! Thank you!

Jessi Lynn - I just found them last night! Thank you! I like what I see! I'm so glad to know you've used them and like them... I planned to order this weekend! I've never had anything other than white/yellow potatoes, but when I saw the red/white/blue combo, I thought that was so cool! I can just imagine people's reactions to red, white and blue potato salad! WOW!!! What's the difference in the potatoes, though - just the color? Or is it that you use each potato for different purposes? Do they have to be prepared differently? I can just imagine the fun you had dumping and counting the potatoes... Last year, when I finally dug them up, I felt like a little kid on an Easter Egg hunt! LOL! It was sooo much fun! My neighbors probably thought I was a little nuts as I screeched, "OH! I got ANOTHER one!" over and over and over... But let them talk! They don't know the joy of homegrown potatoes, or else they'd be right out there doing the same!!! LOL!

Diane - I hadn't found any potatoes there - must've been looking in the wrong place. I'll definitely check again, though - thank you!

I'm really leaning toward the tires because when we had them changed this year, I made an issue that my husband keep the old ones instead of paying for their disposal. He said he can get free used tires from a number of sources around here, too, which will be good for "growing up." Marilyn & Diane, I wonder: how many potatoes do you plant per container, and how many potatoes do you get in return? I planted a sizable flat plot in my garden last year, but the potatoes only lasted a month ('Best potatoes we ever had, though! Store bought just don't cut it anymore! LOL!). I don't anticipate we'll be able to get an entire year's worth from the tires, but it would be fun to find out what we might get out of them! :) Oh! And I didn't use sulfur on them before planting last year, but I didn't have any disease or bug problems at all. I bought the sulfur, I just couldn't figure out how to open the dang can (nor could my husband), and we were in a rush to plant, so it's still sitting on the shelf. Is that really important, do you think???

Thanks again so very much, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

There is a wonderful article by Jackie Clay in Backwoods Home Magazine on potatoes and growing them in containers. You may be able to find it on their website. (my second fave mag!!!)

I have never sulphured my taters and have only lost very few. I do let them dry out a day before planting. This year, I jumped the gun and got some, cut them up and the weather got too cold and they rotted before I could plant them. Totally my fault! :0( I just want some taters!

I rotate all veggies every year. So far, I'm in a 4 year cycle.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Nini, the spacing of the eyes and ultimate yield vary depending on the variety. Your seed supplier should provide you with planting guidelines for the varieties you choose to grow. As a general rule, I give each eye at least one square foot of growing space. Smaller fingerling potatoes have more eyes and sometimes they actually need more space than larger potatoes. I grow my potatoes in large plastic nursery containers that have had the bottoms cut out(for drainage and easy removal at harvest time). They are about 36-40 inches in diameter so I put four to five eyes in each container. If you are using regular passenger car tires you probably want two eyes per stack. A five gallon bucket size container would hold one eye.

Hope this helps!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  5:04:09 PM  Show Profile
You know, Amanda, I've seen Backwoods Home in the grocery store a few times. I'm going to have to pick up a copy next time. I will see if I can find that article online. Thank you! I rotate every year myself, but I remember reading that it is better for some vegetables to be able to grow in the same spot each year, and also something Marilyn said about the bugs rang a bell... I'm going to have to check my books and see now.

That's EXACTLY what I needed to know, Marilyn - bless you!!! Thank you!!! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  10:46:39 AM  Show Profile
Nini, If you haven't ordered your potato seeds yet, you can try www.mainepotatolady.com
She's got a great variety and her prices are nice.

Good luck!

~Cate
Farmgirl Sister #3450

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Seed questions... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page