amarquardt
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amy
Lindenhurst Illinois
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  7:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Well we just pulled our youngest out of 3rd grade mid year. Two days in an the relief for her is amazing, she's loving the material we are using. I think we made the right decision. Her older sister will stay in the public school system. My question is this, I already have her materials and schedule set up, but what else do you do with it. I feel kind of overwhelmed with just the idea of homeschooling. Any general advise would be greatly appreciated. I work part time during the day. So we will do school first thing in the morning and again in late afternoon. Dad works nights, but he will basically be sleeping during the day. I will have some independant work set up for her, and some after school outside activities in the works at the local library. But I am worried that she will get bored for the two days she will basically be on her own for a few hours.

Amy
http://www.farnorthfarmgirls.blogspot.com
http://www.marquardthealthcoaching.blogspot.com

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  8:34:50 PM  Show Profile
network, join your local homeschool co-op and maybe she could be with another mom those two days a week.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  05:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Does your school have access to internet reading programs? Art projects would be fun for her to do too. Something simple that doesn't need adult guidance.

My son is in 3rd grade & is ADHD he goes to school in the mornings and I home-school 3 subjects in the afternoon. He is getting a lot more out of science, social studies and spelling studying it with me. The school said he is doing a lot more work & is more cooperative. He still has some behavioral problems in the morning at school, but we are going to have him continue his 9 to 12:30 schedule there.

I was and still am worried he is getting the best education, but this is working out so far since the New Year started. Good luck figuring out what will be best for your daughter. It is tough juggling everything but what matters in the end is your child!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  06:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
We also homeschool and I work part time from home teaching piano and flute. My first advice to new homeschoolers is to breathe and relax a bit. The education your child is getting will look different than the public school peers, but it can be an amazing education. Give yourself a little bit of time to find your stride and don't be afraid to make changes as you go. Our homeschooling today looks very different than it did when we started out.

All that being said, we do run a pretty tight ship here at our house in order to make sure that everything gets done. There are some things that are saved for while I'm teaching. If there is a movie that we are watching to match up with something we're studying, it gets watched while I'm teaching. There are a few art type things they can work on. I have quiet time for an hour every day when the boys are in their rooms doing what they want, but quietly. That gives them a break from each other. On the days I teach, quiet time is scheduled during that time. Oh, lots and lots of books, puzzles, logic games, snap circuits, legos, etc.

I made up a chart entitled "Mom, I'm bored" and if they are looking for something to do, they go and check on the chart and find something there.

I always have the boys "report" back in with what they did and I'm amazed at some of the things they have created and come up with.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

amarquardt
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amy
Lindenhurst Illinois
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  9:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the great advice. I am so nervous that I guess I am over thinking things. These are great ideas that I am going to incorporate into our day.

Amy
http://www.farnorthfarmgirls.blogspot.com
http://www.marquardthealthcoaching.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  10:16:14 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Amy. We haven't made the big step here yet but I am anticipating that it will come. At some point the public school is not going to meet our needs or have an agenda we don't agree with. One thing I have learned is that boredom is good. Boredom can spark imagination. I think you'll do a great job and have nothing to worry about.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Boredom teaches thinking out of the box!!!

We love homeschooling. I took Bri out of school in the fall of 2010. We are still fine tuning, but love it.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:50:33 AM  Show Profile
I felt overwhelmed and scared when I started homeschooling even though I always knew it was what I wanted to do. What if I don't get a good curriculum? What if I can't teach? What if? What if? But I discovered it's a joy and not so scary. :) I'm using Abeka because I like structure and I needed the help it gives me. It actually tells you what to say!!! Once you're comfortable with it you can do things your own way but at the beginning I needed that.

I think you just need to give you and your child time to find your groove. You'll find a system that works for you and your family and your child will learn. Definately seek out other homeschoolers because it's great support and you can share ideas with each other.

Good luck! Enjoy.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  03:01:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by musicmommy

We also homeschool and I work part time from home teaching piano and flute. My first advice to new homeschoolers is to breathe and relax a bit. The education your child is getting will look different than the public school peers, but it can be an amazing education. Give yourself a little bit of time to find your stride and don't be afraid to make changes as you go. Our homeschooling today looks very different than it did when we started out.

All that being said, we do run a pretty tight ship here at our house in order to make sure that everything gets done. There are some things that are saved for while I'm teaching. If there is a movie that we are watching to match up with something we're studying, it gets watched while I'm teaching. There are a few art type things they can work on. I have quiet time for an hour every day when the boys are in their rooms doing what they want, but quietly. That gives them a break from each other. On the days I teach, quiet time is scheduled during that time. Oh, lots and lots of books, puzzles, logic games, snap circuits, legos, etc.

I made up a chart entitled "Mom, I'm bored" and if they are looking for something to do, they go and check on the chart and find something there.

I always have the boys "report" back in with what they did and I'm amazed at some of the things they have created and come up with.

What she said. We have a ton of creative/open-ended toys in our house. Blocks, legos, dolls, play kitchen, marble run, tons of books, etc. The kids, even the 2yo, go entertain themselves. They know if they whine about something, mommy will put them to work, and they may have to draw a chore from the discipline jar or lose the possibility of a 'best behavior' chore stick for the day.

My 8yo can make some incredible creations from the quadrilla set we have, including even making a fence around it out of duplo to catch the marbles (that totally impressed the mechanical engineer hubby!). My 5yo can take any 8 and under lego instructions and put it together himself, and identify most car makes in the parking lot.
My 3yo can futz around making forts or following her brothers or changing her dolly's diapers. Given a few tools (so to speak), your children can come up with some pretty cool stuff.
We're fairly relaxed still, but my children are still pretty young. It's okay to be flexible with things. Take some time to find your footing/groove, and go from there. And I do believe it's perfectly normal to constantly tweak things as you go along. That's the beauty of homeschooling - if something's not working, you can try something different.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic homeschool advise Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page