Page: of 2

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  2:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
On my birthday, Jan. 25, I happened to be in the animal shelter where my dh is the director. As I walked through the dog pens where they keep the newly picked up strays, etc., I noticed one poor dog just laying on the cage floor. All the other dogs were barking loudly at my presence there. It turned out that he was very elderly, deaf and nearly blind. I started visiting him and bringing him treats and walking him at night. I asked my dh to have the vet look at him. She said he had a heart murmur, several tumors, and other age related problems. I nagged my poor dh on behalf of this old guy and even tried to get him to let me take the dog home and 'foster' him. My poor dh even extended the 'hold' time on the dog. It should have been 'euthanized' three days ago. Yesterday, someone called the shelter asking about an old dog that had wandered away from home. He couldn't come yesterday, and promised to come today. He was surprised that there was a dog answering the description of his lost dog, since it had been a week and a half ago. He finally showed up today, just before closing time. When he was told how much money he owed for fees, etc., he just didn't have the money. He and his wife have two children and are struggling. My dh followed him outside and told him to wait in his car while he(dh) went down the street to the bank. Dh gave him the money and my elderly dog friend got to leave. Even though he's 15 years old and probably doesn't have a long time to go, he didn't have to be put down and he's home today. I'm so grateful for this one happy ending!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Feb 07 2012 2:48:04 PM

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  2:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Janet!!!
That David is SUCH a sweetheart!
He is a dog's best friend, AND he hauls home all of your finds.(& Jonni's too)
Give him a big ole hug from me
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile
OK, my menopause brain called you Janet...sorry.
I remember making fun of my mom for calling the singer Eric Clampton..
& now, I am her. Everything is cyclical.
Good to hear from you!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I am my mom too, Lisa. Not to mention both my grandmas and some of my crazier aunts.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  3:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, that is the best dog story I have heard, ever! What a great guy you are married to. Please give him a hug and a pat on the back for me. Oh, I so hope someone would do that for my Sophie if she ever got lost. I am so glad I came and read about this. With all the bad news lately, this just made my day. Thank you so much for caring for that lucky old dog.

Lisa, you are so funny! Ha! I so wish I was more like my mother. She's the best mother.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  3:05:45 PM  Show Profile
and the tears are flowing, give your hubby a big hug for me...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Janice: I believe you, your husband, that family, were all angels comforting that sweet dog. I loved the story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Like Tina, the tears are flowing here too. Like Kris said, "what a great guy you are married to". Your story has lifted my spirits today. Thank you for that, knowing there are still good people who still do good things. Tell your guy thanks .
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  4:26:24 PM  Show Profile
i needed to read this wonderful story tonite! it renews my faith in folk who have to make horrid decisions about animals in shelters--my babies are all rescues and i wouldn't have it any other way!

please give your hubby a huge hug for me..and know that you both are angels!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  6:31:00 PM  Show Profile
oh i love happy days

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  7:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is an awesome story! Good for you and your husband. Poor old dog. I am so glad that he gets to get back to his people again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  8:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing, it made my day.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  05:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My poor dh will do anything he can to return an animal to its home. When he is on a pager and makes after hours runs, if he is called to pick up a stray, he will not leave his building until he checks for a microchip and if there is one, he will sit down at a computer and searach until he can find a phone number and then call the owner to at least tell them their pet is safe for the night. Microchipping does work and has gotten many a pet back home. I wish more people would do it. My dh works hard to make things affordable for everyone: spaying, neutering, microchipping.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  06:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh Janice - that's such a lovely story. Thank you for doing what you do - and give your DH a big hug from me too. Its wonderful to know there are people like you and your husband doing what they can to help dogs stay safe. I always get my dogs from shelters or rescue groups. One of my dogs had HW and after she was adopted the people didn't want to pay to have her treated and brought her back. She was going to be euthanized but we took her. She was wonderful dog for almost 10 years.

I read a poster on Pinterest the other day that said, "Imagine a world where dogs could drop off their bad owners at the pound." I vote for that - except that would be an insult to animal shelters. Thanks again for all you do and sharing this great story...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  08:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
**bawling my eyes out** Give that hubby of yours a huge hug and a high-paw from me. I work in rescue and these are the things that we pray for!!!!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Aww...give that man a hug!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:52:59 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't expect any less from David, Janice--best story of my day, thank you for sharing it, for sure.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:56:44 AM  Show Profile
As an aside, it's good that Janice posted this about her man, because he would never tell you that he does anything special. He's got a huge, soft heart, though he'd like you to think he's just a crabapple :) I am so blessed to know both Janice and her husband, and well, words could never describe just how lucky the Lynch Mob is to know them.

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  3:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Beauitful story, beauitful hearted man.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:00:01 PM  Show Profile
What an awesome story, made me cry happy tears.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  05:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
And this is all I wanted for Valentine's day, too. As an added bonus, another dog, a beagle who was about to be shot on our farm property by our neighbor, was adopted from dh's shelter by a little boy and his mom. :) What else do I need today? No candy, no card, no jewelry. Two dogs went home. :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  06:14:04 AM  Show Profile
Awwwww... lovely stories. You and your DH are special people! I love my rescue dog. They do know when they have been rescued.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  7:54:19 PM  Show Profile
This brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story with such a happy ending. You and your husband deserve pats on the back for such kindness! Thank you for sharing.

Twinsmom
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  06:04:11 AM  Show Profile
yay!!!! So glad to hear about the farmdog, Janice--that's a perfect valentines day story for me, too!

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  09:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message

i dont know what i would have done without my clooney. he really kept me warm and was wonderful company during my chemo. now he has been joined by lola and newman.
i loved reading about your wonderful dh and the great job he does, janet. and i think he married the sweetest woman!
please continue posting about these beautiful rescue stories, and give your sweet dh a big hug from me and clooney, and one for you as well, janice.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  10:10:20 AM  Show Profile
Everything happens for a reason. What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing! Your husbands gets the good-guy award for sure!
Susan

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

monique
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

monique
lepelstraat noord brabant
Netherlands
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  10:46:29 AM  Show Profile
That's such a wonderfyl story! I have tears in my eyes now

http://thymeandlavender.blogspot.com

www.wolshopmonique.nl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Happy ending for an old dog Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page