sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
here on the farm we deal with many wild things. we have a barn owl. he hunts mice near the chicken house. lately we have lost some of our smaller animals to owls and such. this i can deal with. then another skunk came. we started having issues with the hens. then the produce area was trashed. my yorkie was out of control freezing cold and he was a hunting. i was worried he would get hurt. so the dogs trapped the skunk in our water culvert. we put rocks over the escape areas. papa shot 6 shots. we figured had to be dead. but just in case we put the rocks back. next morning the skunk was alive and digging his way out. we shot 6 more bullets in there. so hours later the yorkie would not leave his post. i told papa that skunk is not dead. the yorkie is too worked up. YUP still going strong. he was waiting for dark to dig out. i felt bad for the skunk BUT it had to be done. so our neighbor had a shot gun. papa and michael pulled the rocks back and one shot. boom done Today we have to dig him out of there before the yorkie can go out. so itty bitty is standing gaurd at the door. he soooo wants to go hunting again. now my rabbits and hens will be safe once more. a few years back in a bad winter storm we had one get under the house. it was terrible. we had to pour concrete around the whole house. they would dig their way in. excitement on the farm. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile
One of them was putting out a big stink around our place this morning. I'd be beside myself with worry about skunks and raccoons without my electric fence. I'm still not sure it will provide 100% protection, but it has deterred the critters so far.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile
I posted the skunk recipe I believe it was in the cleaning dept. or in that vicinity. If you want me to post it again. I will.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago I was riding with my sister-in-law with 5 dogs. They found a skunk. We managed to call them off before things got too bad, but still, every once in a while a dog would trot past us and whew-ee. And we couldn't tell which dog!

So I get home, unsaddle, have to put the Jack Russell in the back of the trailer because I don't want him lying on my saddle blankets. My husband came home and I had no chance to tell him what had happened. I let Marcus out of the trailer. He made a beeline for Ron's truck. Ron opened the door. In jumps Marcus. You should have seen the expression on Ron's face. I cracked up. And of course the little dog jumped on Ron's shoulders and promptly began to clean Ron's ears. Oh, my.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  07:23:22 AM  Show Profile
oh loyce that brought a smile to my morning. thanks sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  11:36:16 AM  Show Profile
Have to tell you this...back in 2004 my son decided to let the dog in & didn't realize she had been sprayed.....well I sure smelled it when she walked by me & man I tell you it was sooo bad...well no baking soda, ect in the house so I grabbed all our canned tomato sauce that just had to have mushrooms in it....in the bathtub she went with my eyes burning...dumping Ragu spaghetti sauce on her & trying to clean her & get the mushrooms out of her coat as well...did I say she was a chow chow?....by the time we were done I had sauce & mushrooms all over the walls around the bathtub but a fairly less smelling skunk dog....to this day I laugh when I think of all the mushrooms I had to clean & peel off the walls.....oh the dog ate any she found in her coat...lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  3:09:56 PM  Show Profile
just remember girls, that skunks are also the best mouser's in the world, so if you can refrain from killing them, and let them have their space, you will have a big reduction in mice and other rodents, I have raised many over the years that were orphanded, and they are sweet and cuddlely, easy to train, and they use a litterbox just like a cat, and no , none were de-scented, and never did any of them spray...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  4:13:53 PM  Show Profile
We had one nest under the barn one year. At the time I had a long haired dog that even after being sprayed 5 different times did not understand why the cute black and white critter never wanted to play. I called around to find out how to get rid of them, Purdue University told me to use moth balls, skunks don't like the odor, lol. I did and it worked.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile
I've never had a problem with skunks, but I know that a great horned owl's favorite food is fresh skunk. We have some great horned owls around here, so maybe that's why I never see any skunks.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  08:52:09 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I can still smell the skunk my dad had to shoot in our garage when I was just a kid. It was horrible. Me and my brother and sister walked around with clothespins on our noses. It stunk for weeks after that. They are all over the place around here dead on the roads. We have a few here. I smell them all the time. Never saw them but there is a place out back in a tree root that I have a feeling a skunk lives. As long as they stay away from my chickens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic the skunk drama Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page