henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  08:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any walking onions for barter? I have goat milk soap, homemade jams, pickles, relish, vintage pillocases, probably other things as well. Thanks

Farmgirl Sister #2667

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Kim: You got me on this one, may I ask what is walking onions? I learn something new every day.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  6:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Never heard of this kind of onion . Please fill me in to
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  7:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Kim,

I have Walking Onions but I'm not sure if it's the right time to harvest. We also have a few inches of snow. I can check to see if any of the topsets seem okay.

Marly and Leslea,

Here is a website explaining what they are:

http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Feb 06 2012 7:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  08:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information, Sharon. Interesting.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  2:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I have lots too but our ground is frozen. We have been having a strange winter where the top ground is frozen one day and thawed the next few. The days over the next week are below freezing so if you can wait a while I might be able to help

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile
I was given a few of these last year by a man up the street--unfortunately, I let them die

At any rate, there's a nice article on these very onions in the March/April issue of Urban Farm Magazine (same group as Hobby Farm Home, Hobby Farm, etc..)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2012 :  6:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Sharon and karen, thank you I will be waiting to hear back when the ground thaws. And thanks for posting the link, I have been so busy at work.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  1:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kim
Please tell what a walking onion is? Love to learn

Judy

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  6:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Tree onions, Allium ×proliferum, are similar to common onions, but with a cluster of bulblets where a normal onion would have flowers. Genomic evidence has conclusively shown that they are a hybrid of the common onion (A. cepa) and the Welsh onion (A. fistulosum).[1] However, some sources may still treat the tree onion as A. cepa var. proliferum or A. cepa Proliferum Group. They are also commonly called top onions, topsetting onions, walking onions, or Egyptian onions. Tree onion bulblets will sprout and grow while still on the original stalk, which may bend down under the weight of the new growth and take root some distance from the parent plant, giving rise to the name walking onion. It has been postulated that the name Egyptian onion is derived from tree onions being brought to Europe from the Indian subcontinent by the "Gypsies".[2]

The phenomenon of forming bulblets instead of flowers is also seen in garlic and other various species of Allium, which sometimes may also be referred to as top onions or tree onions. The bulblets are generally marble-sized, usually within .5 cm to 3 cm in diameter, although sizes may differ out of this range from time to time.

Many Egyptian onions are very strong flavoured, although some cultivars are relatively mild and sweet.[2] The underground bulbs are particularly tough-skinned and pungent,[3] and can be quite elongate, like giant scallions or leeks,[3] or in some types may form bulbs up to two inches across.[2] Young plants may be used as scallions in the spring, and the bulblets may be used in cooking similarly to regular onions, or preserved by pickling.[3]

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:56:06 AM  Show Profile
I actually received some from a woman on here. They have come up and I hope they'll put out the bulblets in the spring. I'm very excited about it. :0) If you haven't found any by then, you can PM me.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  08:28:19 AM  Show Profile
Kim,

Mine are nowhere near being ready due to the snow and cold temperatures BUT on another forum I belong to someone (reputable) is selling them:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=432984

Hope this helps!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2012 :  10:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Wow walking onions. As long as I have gardened I have never heard of them. Something new to grow. LoL. I hope you find them. I wish I had some I would love some goat milk soap!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic looking for walking onions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page