Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Potting Shed Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  6:12:53 PM  Show Profile
We have an old log corncrib on our farm and my husband has offered to turn it into a potting shed for me. Any suggestions on how to do this? Would it be a good idea to put a work shelf on the outside of the building? It's a rather small corn crib, with a door and a window-size opening on one side. The opening is close to the roof and is now covered with screening. I'm guessing it was where the corn was dumped into the crib. Also wondering how to design the inside.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  6:33:43 PM  Show Profile
air flow is importent, and a potters shelf or 2 on the outside would be perfect, inside , 2 walls of floor to ceiling shelves for storage, and a place to put a couple of trashcans with lids to store potting soil, a place to set a cooler in the summer to keep water/juice/icetea in, a hose bib close by, surrounded by gravel a few inches deep to ward off mudd...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Joyce Anna
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Joyce
Westcliffe, CO
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  10:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi....We have limited space where we do our potting and "playing" with our plants. We were able to buy an really nice wooden bench with shelves. You may be able to purchase one or have your husband help you build one. I would suggest sturdy shelves if you have a bench, as the potting supplies can be heavy. The corn crib sounds great, like having a "play house" when we were kids. You will be able to hang tools and watering cans up on hooks and some times good old fashioned peg board can be a good solution to display things. Have fun! Blessings, Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  7:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks "sisters" for the helpful advice. I'm going to put the man to work!!!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Potting Shed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page