Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Question about heirloom nasturtiums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question about heirloom nasturtiums Next Topic  

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  06:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
I have grown nasurtiums from seed before, but this year I am growing heirloom seeds. I read somewhere that if you file a little on the seed, it makes sprouting easier. It has always held true. I am wondering if the same will be true for heirloom seeds.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  8:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Trish, I’ve always just soaked nasturtium seeds overnight before planting them. My grandpa used to grow them and he always soaked them, too. I don’t ever remember him scratching them but it would have the same effect as soaking them. Either way you are just making it easier for moisture to get through the tough outer layer of the dried seed.

Maybe try some both ways and see what works best for you?! Good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  5:51:26 PM  Show Profile
I haven't grown nasturtiums in a few years, Trish (deer kept snacking on them down to the dirt), but I used to scratch and soak them before planting and I always thought it helped sprout faster.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question about heirloom nasturtiums Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page