359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  05:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Knowing God’s Will

Topic 4: Ways to discern God’s will

1. Verse: 2 Samuel 5:1-10 (Don’t assume we know it)

A kings awaits his orders
King David was a mighty warrior anointed by God, but he didn't presume to know what to do in every military situation. He was ready to attack the enemies who threatened his kingdom, but before he made a move, he asked God what to do. When a second threat came, he didn't assume that the guidance he’d received earlier atomically applied to this new situation. David was keenly aware of his constant dependence on the divine wisdom.
Like David, lets demonstrate our dependence on God by seeking his guidance consistently and diligently, even in the small issues that concern us. South African author, Andrew Murray remarked, “ The insignificance of daily life are the importance and tests of eternity, because they prove what really is the spirit that posses us.”

Question: Are your decisions shaped by past experiences or daily seeking God? What daily decisions of life are you asking him about?

More Insights: Judges 6:36-40; Jeremiah 42:1-2; James 1:5

2. Verse: 1 Chron. 14:8-17 ( Don’t presume to know God’s plan)

Listening or presuming?
One of the most wonderful things about our God is that he loves to speak to us. He wants us to keep coming to him regularly for council, just as David did. David could have assumed that since God anointed him king, that God would want David to march against his enemies when they attacked. But, despite his open relationship with the Lord, David never presumed to know the Lords direction for a given situation. He knew it was dangerous to attempt to extend God’s kingdom without specific instructions. Earlier in Israel’s history, Joshua's forces were defeated or deceived on two occasions because he did not inquire with the Lord before moving ahead with plans for conquest of the promised land (Joshua 7-9)
Our hearts can also be deceived into believing we have all the wisdom needed to form our own strategies for evangelism or for performing other good deeds. We need God to help develop and fine-tune our plans so the forces of darkeness can be defeated.

More Insights: Psalm 40:1; John 10:27

3. Verse: John 7:6-9 (Submit to his timing)

God’s schedule not ours
Our challenge is to stay in tune with God so that we work according to his schedule. Inevitably sometimes God’s purposes will conflict with our preferences. Jesus didn't let other pressure him into a timetable that would take him outside of God’s will. And neither should we. We benefit by making a point to seek God’s timing. He wants only the best for us.

Question: Have you faced a situation where your schedule conflicted with God’s timing? What did you learn from it?

More Insights: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8; John 2:3-8; 11:6-15

4. Verse: 2 Kings 6:5-7 (Be sure we’ve been obedient)

When it’s hard to hear
Though at times we may struggle to hear God’s voice, we can be sure that his desire to communicate with us is greater than our desire to hear from him. Therefore if we are not hearing clearly, it’s good to stop and consider what might be obstructing our ability to hear.

Questions: If you’ve been unable to hear God’s voice lately, ask him to show you the last time you did hear him clearly. What did the Lord say to you then?

More Insights: Joshua 7:1-13; Proverbs 1:23-33; Isaiah 59:1-2

I hope you are all well! Look forward to another week of study:)

Much love,

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  05:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Ashley I look forward to each Tuesday for a new lesson. After looking over this one, I believe it fell in place when it's needed. I again thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing with us! Farmgirl Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Phooey, I used up my time on all the other threads...kids are rolling in, in about 2 minutes. I hope to be up really early to read this. Thanks!

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  12:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Brenda and Kirstina. Hope you are both well!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  3:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ashley...Got it copied and looking forward to it.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 27 2012 2:22:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  08:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,
Brenda(Classygram) asked me to let everyone know that her computer is down right now. She will be back posting when she can!
Also, she has some dental surgery tomorrow, please keep her in your prayers!

Thank you!
Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:24:26 AM  Show Profile
Will do. Thanks for letting us know, Linda:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Classygram will be in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  5:13:44 PM  Show Profile
i feel i ask God for guidance, but im afraid i do not always hear.
i have begged and pleaded with God for the past two years to bring a resolution to a heartbreaking pain i am living with and there is just nothing happening. am i so terrbile that i dont deserve to hear?after reading Isahiah 59:1-2 i feel i am. i thimk im basically a good person who really wants to recieve guidance from God, but im afraid that Satan is attacking my every sincere prayer. although i truely believe good wins over evil every time i dont see it happening for me? what can i do? i hope i dont sound too out there, but its very difficult to seek Gods help and not get any responce. as always thanks for bringing this study to us. God bless us all

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I just have to share this with you. I hope it helps some. In my devotional, Streams in the Desert, for Jan. 19th, this helped me.The scripture is Luke 18:1 Men ought always to pray and not to faint. It tells of a soldier who was hiding for several hours from the enemy. To help the time pass, he watched an ant carrying a grain of corn larger than itself up a high wall. He counted how many times it took the ant to get it up that wall. 69 times the corn fell to the ground. The 70th time it reached the top. Now that is perserverance.

It goes on to say that prayer which takes the fact that past prayers have not been answered as a reason for langour, has already ceased to be the prayer of faith. To the prayer of faith the fact that prayers remain unanswered is only evidence that the moment of the answer is so much nearer. From first to last, the lessons and examples of our Lord all tell us that prayer that cannot persevere and urge it's plea importunately, and renew, and renew itself again, and gather strength from every past petition, is not the prayer that will prevail.

God knows just when to withhold from us any visible sign of encouragement, and when to grant us such a sign. How good it is that we may trust Him anyway!! When all visible evidences that he is remembering us are withheld, that is best; He wants us to realize that His word, His promise of remembrance, is more substantial and dependable than any evidence of our senses. When He sends the visible evidence, that is well also; we appreciate it all the more after we have trusted Him without it. Those who are readiest to trust God without other evidence than His word always receive the greatest number of visible evidences of His love.

This is written by very old authors, many dead. But it's so relavent to today and what we all go through. I have really needed to read this myself and believe that God knows best and He is listening to our prayers. It also says that delays are not refusals. Many a prayer is registered, and underneath it the words: "My time is not yet come." God has a set time as well as a set purpose, and he who orders the bounds of our habitation orders also the time of our deliverance.

I hope this helps a little. It has helped me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 25 2012 8:48:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  04:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I will keep you in my prayers. I am sorry you are distressed. Sending a big farmgirl hug and smooch!

Kris, Thank you so much for sharing. I really needed to read those words this morning. Sending you love and a farmgirl smooch, too!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  6:31:57 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl I too prayed for you.Remember how Paul asked God to remove an affliction of the flesh and prayed and prayed. Doesnt the word say My grace is sufficient for thee and My strength is made perfect in weakness? Ashley I liked #2 where it talks about God "fine tuning our plans". good study. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl...I try to remember that when I don't see answer to my prayers...that God is just working behind
the scenes on my behalf. We know he wants HIS best for us. He has a plan and a purpose for each one of us...
He just asks us to trust Him and believe Him.

Two quick stories...that werent "quick" at all.

First one: For ten years my oldest son and I prayed for God to bless our friends with a baby. They
wanted one so desperately but could never seem to get pregnant. Finally they decided on adoption and
they got a Beautiful 3 day old baby girl! After she was one yrs old, my friend Susan got pregnant on her own/with hubby (not with Dr.s help) and had another girl, then she got pregnant and had another girl and then she got pregnant again and had
a boy. 10 yrs of people praying for them. And them praying for themselves. 10 yrs is a long time but
like God so often does...He gives us even more than what we asked for. :+)

Second Story: For 30 years I prayed for my extended family to turn their lives and hearts over to God.
I was the only Christian in my family and I wanted them to know our Beloved Father just like I did. They
were missing out on so much loving and learning and growing intimately closer to The Lord. They believed
in Him, they just didn't know Him nor did they really want to surrender their lives to him. (He might take away all their fun)

30 yrs of prayers Cheryl...many years of redicule from them. But finally...one by one all four of them
surrendered their lives to Their Lord and Saviour. I had given up (almost) that they would ever come to
a Saving Knowledge of Jesus Christ...but God had never given up. He wanted them saved even more than I
did. 30 yrs and it was worth every minute of the Wait!

Don't give up my Friend...His Time Table is Not Ours and visa-versa.

Living Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 27 2012 2:46:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  3:08:22 PM  Show Profile
My Bible Study Answers:

Question #1

Are your decisions shaped by past experiences or daily seeking God? What daily decisions of life are you asking him about?

My decisions are shaped by both past experiences (remembering how faithful God was in this circumstance and that circumstance) and knowing He will be just as Faithful in every circumstance of my life.

b) I trust him in "every circumstance" and if I don't... I get to take the test over. LOL

2: Have you faced a stituation where your schedule conflicted with God's timing? What did I learn from it?

a) ALL THE TIME!

b) That God is never too early nor too late...His timing is perfect! And I can bank on that truth!

3: If you've been unable to hear God's voice lately, ask Him to show you the last time you did hear him clearly and what he said to you then.

That is Why God gave us a Memory...It's A Beautiful Thing...A Useful Walking Stick on our Journey.

If I am not hearing from God...it is because either I am
not being quiet before him (too busy) or I am not daily in His Word, or I an not trusting him to be faithful in this circumstance or I am talking to everyone about it but HIM. ONLY God
has the answers. Sure we can share with our Christian Family and Friends...but take it to God first
not last!

IF LOVE IS THE QUESTION THEN GOD IS THE ANSWER!

AND TIMES ARE TOUGH BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL!

Sound like just a lot of christian speak?
No, Sounds Like God! AND ONLY GOD!

living loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile
thanks all for the insights.. yes i keep praying and believing i just pray it wouldnt take so long.

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  1:57:12 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I know that no amount of advise will truly comfort you in answering your prayer. When I read your note, I immediately thought of a little plaque someone had given me when I was praying for my 1st marriage to be healed and all the pain to go away. it wasthe lyrics of a song..."Sometimes He calms the storm, and other times he calms the child." There is a little sermonette at this site.... http://www.gatherlittlebylittle.com/2008/01/sunday-lyrics-sometimes-he-calms-the-storm/. It helped me immeasurably. It took me a long time to know that God had my best interests at heart, and that what I was asking He was not willing to give. It would have led to my distruction. Trusting is one of the hardest things to do when we are in the middle of pain and chaos in our lives. He does not want us to ignore the circumstances, but in spite of them...to trust and keep our eyes on Him. That is the story of the storm, and as the rest of the apostles thought they would drown, Jesus commented on their lack of faith. Faith is not grown in a hot house. It is grown in the winds of adversity, darkness and sometimes blazing heat. It is in spite of it all, good will come out of it. Remember the scripture of Romans 8:28....and God will work ALL things together for our good...to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." I have no idea what you are going through, but be assured that there are good brothers and sisters in Christ who are willing to stand beside you asking that God give you the answer that is best for YOU..one that maybe you cannot even see. Blessings, my dear. You are in my prayers.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  6:20:17 PM  Show Profile
claudia thank you for the kind words and the link. i just wrote the words in my journal and will continue to read The Word and pray for guidance.

Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  05:22:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi All, Still working on the studies, just in stealth mode. ;) Cheryl, I have this written in my take everywhere journal & it has helped me alot. " I believe in the sun even when it does not shine, I believe in love even if I do not feel it, I believe in God even when he is silent." I read this saying over & over again, to remind myself, God never sleeps & does some of his best work in stealth mode ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile
That is beautiful, Madeline! I've been ill ladies, so I'm sorry Topic 5 is not posted yet. It will be up at the latest tomorrow morning. So sorry for the delay.

Much love,

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  12:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Madeline thank you so much.. words i need to hear.. and Ashely hope you are ok.. and to all of you ladies who took the time to write encouraging words to me it dawned on me today that , those kind words were from the Holy Spirit speaking to me through you.. if i wasnt so litteral i would realize this more often thank you so much. cheryl

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  12:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Got this email from Nini...and I don't see it here...so would you all prayer for her...... Claudia

Hi girls -

Well, long story short, I've been having chest pressure and pain and my blood pressure readings have all been out of whack since the beginning of the month, but I've been ignoring it and passing it off as being the branch bundle block AND because I knew pneumonia came with its own discomforts. As far as the branch bundle block went, the doctors warned that I would have this pain, and not to be worried unless I had other serious signs of heart attack. I had to go for another follow up for the pneumonia today, and lo and behold my doctor decided to do an EKG twice. Apparently there is a problem with the anterior portion of my heart (according to the EKG), and since I've had the chest pain/pressure, and other symptoms, and given that my dad's heart attack at 36 was to the anterior of his heart (it has been dead since - he's still kickin', but not well), she is having me go to the ER to have tests and be admitted. Yay. So, I'm going with the "I"m sure I'll be fine" thing, but if you wouldn't mind, I really could use your prayers right now. I want to be okay. My son is overwhelmed and can't stop crying, my hubby's on his way home to take me in. My foster daughter's here reading my medical records, too - she's a nursing student and wants to see it all for herself and make sure I'm going to be okay. I'm going to be okay! We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all posted when I can.

>sigh<

If you see I've forgotten to email anyone, please let them know so that if they try to email me and don't hear back from me they will understand and know I'm not ignoring them, okay? I'd really appreciate your help with that! I don't want anyone to feel hurt or left our or ignored or anything. I'm just really in a hurry to get myself together and off to the hospital, that's all. :) Thank you!!!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  12:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, Thanks for letting us know. I will keep her in my prayers...poor thing:(

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  6:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Nini is in my thoughts and prayers.. and you too Ashely

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Ashley...I am gathering that Lesson #5 hasn't been posted yet? ...just don't
want to miss it. I keep checking. *smile*

Live Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  04:44:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey All,

I am so sorry (once again). Our entire family has been sick this time. I will start topic 5 by Tuesday (when we should have been doing topic 6). I may post both at the same time so we can stay on track. I usually am not this wishy washy with projects I start, so please excuse me and thanks for your patience.

Much love ya'll!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  05:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, im sure everyone understands. its bad enough having the entire household sick , dont add feeling guilty about not posting to the list. feel better and post when you can. cheryl

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Topic 4: Jan. Bible Study Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page