farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  7:32:55 PM  Show Profile
When dealing with other adults who you can't get away from who tend to always be negative, crabby, or on a mission to bring the day down...how do you deal with it? I'm trying to be a very patient and understanding daughter because I know my parents are going through some "stuff" right now, but their negativity is really wearing on me. (They rent from us and are therefore always around.) I'm hoping to find some advice or even a quote or verse or thought to keep in my mind while I'm gritting my teeth that will help me to smile. They aren't always like this, I know its because they are going through some cruddy stuff and I feel like I just need something to hang in my head or repeat over and over to keep me sane. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  7:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I know it's cheesy, but keep repeating "This too shall pass"...I see a lot of crabby people at my job and generally they just want someone to listen to them. Since its your family, though, I think you can be a little more up front with them. Next time they're being Crabby Appletons (as my Grandma always said), just be honest and say that you're always here for them, but you are reaching your limit as far as how much negativity you can take. Then suggest maybe talking to their pastor or a therapist. In the meantime, take some time for yourself without them around.
Hang in there Amy, it will get better!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  8:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Stephanie! This too shall pass...I know! I just have to remember it, and remember how lucky I am to have them both. Just keep smiling.... :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  10:49:35 PM  Show Profile
"Can I offer you a piece of pie (or cake, or candy, or a cup of coffee, or whatever you have on hand)?" works WONDERS. People can't complain when their mouths are full of something good...and who can be grumpy while eating pie?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Edited by - JessieMae on Jan 23 2012 10:50:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  11:14:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Jessie, Amy - that's my secret weapon for peace around grouches - keep their mouths full with good things, and the whole place will be a lot more quiet and serene! Good luck! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  04:18:16 AM  Show Profile
My MIL moved in with us a year ago. We built her an apartment so we have our own separate space.
For the most part, she is very pleasant to be around. There are days however that she is just in a seriously cranky place. Most of the time I can "grin and bear" it, but there are times when I just CANNOT! When that happens, I turn to her, I say "goodbye, see you later..". She seems to get my hint that I refuse to be around if she is going to be nasty!
No confrontations needed!!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348
Little Henhouse on the Island

Keep reading. Keep learning. Keep loving. Keep giving. Keep smiling. Keep listening. Keep forgiving. Keep praying
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Amy: I finally learned to say "Stop!", and then I tell them that I plan on having a nice day, I'm sorry they are not. If they want to talk later when not so uppity, call me or come by.
Of course, I like what Jess said. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2320 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  08:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
My favorite mantra for that is I keep telling myself "I need to Love them where they are at". It helps me to look past the negativity and keep my own good spirits going.

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  09:18:24 AM  Show Profile
This was from Joyce Meyer today and I though it worth sharing:

"Judge your worth and value by what God says about you in His Word, not by how somebody else treats you." (Ephesians 2:4-10)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  09:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My MIL doesn't live here and she is the only one of our parents still living. She is in an assisted living facility where my hubby's brother lives and he is basically the "overseer" of what goes on with her. But she is one who just complains, gripes and focuses on her misery until it's over the top. . . the MOST NEGATIVE person I know! My hubby talks to her on the phone and he always turns the conversation around by talking about other things going on. She pretty much kicked me and my kids (her only grandchildren . . they are adults now) to the curb and I'm not even sure she even remembers who I am. So, I hardly ever speak with her any more but I know if I did it would be in the "stop" mode as Marly speaks of.
In my work as a caregiver for my sister, I sometimes hear negative statements from her hubby about wondering what they did wrong, why did God desert them and why isn't she healed. I have learned to just listen and go on about my work . . . I can say nothing that will help the situation. I BITE MY TONGUE CONSTANTLY!!! (And, he gets off on politics something fierce! I don't agree with most of what he holds too, either!)
Tough situation, Amy, especially when you are in regular contact with them. I will just pray for you and the situation.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Make him sleep in the goat shed? LOL!

Kidding aside, here are some good quotes:

"Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching?" ~Dennis and Wendy Mannering

"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." ~Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

"Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day". ~Author Unknown

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same." ~Francesca Reigler

"Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious." ~Bill Meyer

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense". - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  12:06:09 PM  Show Profile
These are great thoughts, gals. I appreciate them!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  1:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Good Luck Amy! I work with a number of people who tend to be on the "negative" side. What I do is "kill em with kindness". I have a perpetual smile on my face and even have a sign on my desk that says "Attitude is EVERYTHING, SMILE".
Sometimes it "pisses" them off because they cant figure out why I am always so happy, but for the most part it changes the focus and makes them turn their attitudes around.
I like the whole idea of killing someone with kindess- its usually contagious, and works to your benefit.
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  07:13:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm a firm believer in world peace through chocolate cake.

Failing that, I just nod politely and smile absently, periodically saying, "Whatever you say, dear," and tuning them out as best I can. After a while, they usually either get it out of their systems--or leave me alone because I'm not giving them the response they crave.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile
I see lots of people, closer and closer to my own age as I get older, who were going about their daily business and suddenly dropped dead. It's really changed my perspective on life. If this was my last day, would I want to spend time being crabby? For other crabby people, I will mostly ignore them. I'm not afraid to tell relatives that their behavior is not suitable and I won't put up with it. I hope your family gets through their rough time soon!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  1:43:48 PM  Show Profile
EGR extra grace required. Just keep saying it over and over to yourself.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA