Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 how long does it take you to know...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic how long does it take you to know... Next Topic
Page: of 2

meow
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

24 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  02:04:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello, I love to read and have many books,I like classics and some new stuff. Have found Pretty good books at Airports,I usually read front and back jackets and intro ,then I choose a page in middle of book if it looks good I buy and read .A couple of good ones were Major Pettigrews Last Stand by Helen Simonson
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  12:24:50 PM  Show Profile
I give the book a chance and read until the end. I have had so many books where it really takes off about half way through much like a movie.

hugs,
-missy-

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  1:45:37 PM  Show Profile
I give a book about 3 chapters. If I can't find it interesting by then it's back to the library.

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  2:10:47 PM  Show Profile
I typically give books a couple chapters, but that's it. Girl with a Dragon Tattoo is a great example of a very bad beginning. I didn't finish it. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONe) says to give it time, but 100 pages is just too much time for me.

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

country_lovin
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Debbie
Oregon
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  11:07:12 AM  Show Profile
Within the first 5 pages. Then I'll check the middle to see if it gets any better, if not, it goes back to the library.
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2012 :  11:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Hmm... I don't actually think too much about it. I'm an avid reader, so I know that certain books take me longer to read than others... I also like to start things I finish. A book has to be pretty bad for me to give up on it. So for example, if I'm reading a really dense non-fiction book I'll stick with it if the subject interests me, even if it's not a page turner. Took me months and months to finish "A People's History of the United States" because I couldn't read more than a few pages at a time, even though it was excellent and fascinating - lots to digest. Similarly, if it's a really dense novel or "classic" I might stick with it if I like the story or characters, or even just because it's well regarded or important in English literature.

In general though, I can tell a book is bad (or at least not my cup of tea) when I just lose interest entirely and find myself skimming, skipping to the back, etc. This happened when I was reading the "Twilight" series. Didn't want to knock it till I'd tried it so to speak, but I couldn't even finish the last book. And sometimes I'll just set a book down and never pick it back up... that's a pretty clear sign that I won't be finishing it anytime soon.

Also, sometimes I come back to books that I abandoned long ago and end up loving them, so something has to be said for timing, too.

I guess I circumvent a lot of the strife surrounding this by reading more than one book at a time. I usually have a few books going at once that are all slightly different in topic or genre, so I can set down a book that isn't a page turner and pick up something else depending on my mood.

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Edited by - Lyndell on Apr 04 2012 11:59:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic how long does it take you to know... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page