Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 plant that "chokes out" poison ivy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic plant that "chokes out" poison ivy? Next Topic  

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  12:32:54 PM  Show Profile
This is a long gardening story, so I will try to cut to the chase.

We have a fenced in property and shortly after we moved into our house (about 8 1/2 years ago) I was just walking the fence to check for any maintenance issues and noticed a HUGE patch of poison ivy growing on the other side - in the neighbor's yard. I let them know about this (because I was worried they didn't see it and might run into it) and they said, "Yeah, thanks, whatever."

I kept an eye on this, because I quickly realized they weren't going to do anything about it. I watched it climb up their back trees and form into huge vines and grow on the ground in their yard exponentially. Up until a few years ago, it didn't infiltrate our property, then it did, of course.

I've dug it out (CAREFULLY) year after year, but it's a lot of stressful work (and they have no desire, apparently, to eliminate it in their yard, although I don't know why!)

I swear, many years ago when I used to read gardening books before I even had a yard, I read about putting in certain kinds of plants after you dig out the poison ivy that "chokes it out" from growing in certain areas. For the life of me, I can't remember what plant this is and I can't seem to find a reference for it anywhere else in all the current garden books I have.

Does anyone know a plant that chokes out poison ivy?

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Jan 20 2012 12:36:18 PM

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  5:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I happened to be looking around the Internet for gardening info & I found this site that might help: http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=5934. As a last resort,you may want to try Ortho Brush B Gone if you're not opposed to chemical control. Poison Ivy is a tough one, good luck!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile
When we moved to Arkansas, we found a back yard full of the stuff and sadly, it was growing over, under, and around a pile of bricks left from the construction about 10 years before. A very well established patch, it was. We got a dozen hens and a rooster, turned them into the yard, and they ate it and scratched it out in one season. It never came back, so I have to assume they managed to get all the roots, too.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic plant that "chokes out" poison ivy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page