twospike
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Suzie
Stanfield NC
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  06:57:18 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for a chow chow recipe that is tried and true to be good. I tried one and it was not good they must have left something out of the recipe when they gave it to me. Anyone want to share.

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  10:54:12 AM  Show Profile
I recently used a chow-chow recipe from one of my cookbooks - but I used the wrong kind of peppers! This is the first time I've ever made it so I don't know if it is good or not! Now I can't find it but these two recipes are NOT the one I used!

from the Ball blue book (1983 edition) -

1 qt chopped cabbage (1 small head)
3 cups chopped caulifower (1 medium head)
2 cups chopped green tomatoes (about 4 medium)
2 cups chopped onions
2 cupps chopped green peppers (about 4 medium)
1 cup chopped red pepper (about 2 medium)
3 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 1/2 cups vinegar

Combine chopped vegetables, sprinkle with salt, let stand 4 to 6 hours in a cool place. Drain. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices, simmer 10 minutes. Add vegetables, simmer 10 minutes. Bring to boiling. Pack, boiling hot, into hot (sterilized) pint jars, leave 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield - 4 pints.

Here's one from Kerr from about the same vintage, but it's a little different...

1 peck green tomatoes
8 large onions
10 green peppers
3 tablespoons salt
6 hot peppers
1 quart vinegar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
3 tablespoons dry mustard
Few bay leaves
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 cup horseradish (optional)
Chop tomatoes, onions and peppers together and cover with the salt, let stand overnight. Drain, add the hot peppers, vinegar, spices (tied in cheesecloth bag) and sugar; allow to boil slowly until tender (about 15 minutes) Add horseradish. Pack into sterilized Kerr jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on cap, screw band FIRMLY TIGHT. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.

PS. I used cider vinegar, because that was what I had, but I think that it might be better to use white vinegar to keep the color more clear, especially for the recipe with cauliflower and cabbage.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com, web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Aug 29 2006 10:55:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for chow chow recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page