True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  7:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,
I have a really dumb question. From time to time, I peel the skin back on onions or garlic, and sometimes there are little, and I mean teeny little bugs on the inside. They are very small, kind of sliver-shaped (if that makes sense) and black. Has anyone seen this before? Does anyway know what I'm talking about? And better yet, what can I do to get rid of them?
Thanks a bunch!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  06:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Alison - Is this occurring while they are still growing in your garden or with store-bought products that you are ready to cook with? No idea what the critters might be, but thought I'd ask anyway. I have not experienced that before, either with growing them in the garden or with store-bought products.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  12:29:39 PM  Show Profile
My homegrown onions seem to be OK, it's just the store-bought ones.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

aeminasian
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Alice
Danbury Connecticut
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  03:47:42 AM  Show Profile
I have seen these bugs on onions several times also. I buy organic produce whenever possible, so I attributed the bugs to lack of pesticides. I have also seen them on cauliflower. If the produce is fine otherwise, I just rinse them off thoroughly and use. Or sometimes I will soak the cauliflower in a solution of water and sea salt. I have not noticed them on my garlic. Just wanted to let you know, you aren't the only one with this problem!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Garlic and Onions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page