Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 wood cook stove substitute
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic wood cook stove substitute Next Topic  

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  05:05:43 AM  Show Profile
I see some of you mention wood cookstoves and while I would LOVE to have one myself, my little house just wouldn't be big enough. We do,however have a small woodburning heat stove. I can cook on it's top and have many times during power outages. We also get by quite nicely in the summer time at a rustic cabin by using a big outdoor grill. One of those that has a propane gas grill on one side with a burner as well and on the other side is a charcoal grill with a smoker thingie on the side. I can do all my camping cooking on that and if I want to bake, well, I have a collection of beautiful cast iron dutch ovens that do an awesome job. So if you don't have room for a wood cookstove or don't have a reliable source for wood to fire it with, you can get by with charcoal and propane.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  09:03:58 AM  Show Profile
until I got my wood cooking stove in this summer I had a small normal wood burning stove that was wonderful for cooking stews, soups ect on.......I used it for years until I got this cooking woodstove stove.....that is so cool that you have a grill that has a burner, yes I could see that being very handly...a young neighbor has a nice 2 burner camp stove that she has to use each winter when the electricity goes off to cook for her family of 6....it fits real nice on top of her glass top stove so she doesn't have to worry about when the kids are in the kitchen...has made some mean pots of beans in that.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic wood cook stove substitute Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page