levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  05:06:39 AM  Show Profile
BTW, the reason the dirt works is because it grabs the oil and then of course when you wash it washes them away. Would probably work for the gardening tools also. Just rub the handles with it and rinse.

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Jen Mackey
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jennifer
Hollansburg Ohio
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  7:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Fels Naptha does work on poison ivy. I heard about this from a doctor that I work with. I tried her idea with my step son. He had poison ivy up and down his arm and was starting to spread to his chest. I had him use fels naptha a few times and it dried it up.

Homespun Hospitality
Farmgirl #4218
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  2:06:41 PM  Show Profile
I had it all over my arm and neck about a month ago, was trying everything to try to get rid of it and NOTHING was working. Then I tried bentonite clay. I made the clay in to a past and slapped it all over the areas. It was all gone in 2 days. =)
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  04:22:52 AM  Show Profile
I am one of those crazy people who isn't allergic to it...who knows why but I can pull it out and keep on going and never get so much as an itch.

this is good to know, though!
Go to Top of Page

LinB52
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Lin
Tecumseh MI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile
When i know i'm exposed to poison ivy..i come in and use rubbing alcohol in the area that the poison ivy touched then i wash the area with the fels napta soap....so far so good..also if u used garden tools rub them down with the rubbing alcohol this removes the oil...

God Bless the USA!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile
I believe what Fels Naptha would be best for is washing -- very gently, and always letting rinse water help it slide off toward the drain. It would do a fairly good job of bonding with the urushiol (the oily substance in poison ivy that causes the nasty reaction). I've read up on what research chemists say about this. (Stumbled across it while googling, and found a scholarly discussion about what kind of materials bond best with the urushiol, and how to best do it. Pretty interesting stuff.) Ayway, the key is to do this as soon after exposure as possible -- as it said in that Trixie Belden book. Once the reaction has started, I think Fels is too strong. It would most likely irritate the skin, allowing the damage to get worse. Maybe after a certain point, drying the skin would help, but I suspect by that point, you could almost do nothing and it would heal just as fast. Gosh, I hate poison ivy SO MUCH! I always keep a tube of Zanfel in the medicine cabinet. It's horribly expensive (around $40), but is the only thing I've ever tried on an established poison ivy breakout that really, truly relieves that agony, and right away, too.
Go to Top of Page

RevJenni
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jen
Burton Ohio
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2013 :  4:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Send RevJenni a Yahoo! Message
Yes -- we use it at home for many things, poison ivy being one of them. My doctor even recommended it. You need a stronger soap to remove the poison oil from the skin.

Everything you do is sacred. Many Blessings to you and yours!
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend that makes a nice Jewelweed soap for poison ivy. She swears by it.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Poison Ivy Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page