farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Being new to all animals except chickens, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how much pasture animals need. My darling husband and I are in a "discussion" about what to do with the tillable land that is part of our five acres. (I do not have the exact measurement of what this tillable is.) My husband said we should plant it all and then make hay. I asked him if we plant that all for hay, where were the animals supposed to graze the rest of the year?

This farm used to be a pig farm and I know there are grazing spots elsewhere (like behind the barn and such) but seeing as how neither of us have ever had bigger animals (goats, pigs, cows, sheep, horses) we aren't quite sure how much space is needed for what. And my husband seems to suffer from this malady of "I detassled corn once on a farm when I was 14 so I know everything there is to know about every single animal so just trust what I say."

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile
Amy to answer your question, we would need a bit more info. What types of animals do you have or plan to have on those 5 acres? Do you live in an area that has plenty of grass and precipitation, or does it tend to be drier so you will need supplement with hay all year long? The amount of grazing area needed depends upon the animals you chose to raise. Also there are costs associated with supplemental feedings if you do not have enough pasture area.

For example we live in CO, we have twenty acres total, but only 18 of those acres are pasture. We have a five horses, two donkeys and three chickens. Part of the two acres that is not counted as actual pasture acreage is a large corral/dry lot area around our barn, a large fenced dog yard, chicken house/run, and a smaller grazing area. We have plenty of grass for grazing during the Spring and Summer months, but have to feed hay during Fall and Winter. The "general"(and by no means the end all be all, as every place is different) rule out here on the plains for horses/donkeys is two acres of land per equine.

My neighbor raises beef, but he also has horses. He has forty acres, fifteen of which are for his seven horses. Three of the acres are for house/barn and shop, with the remainder going to his cattle of which he has twenty head.

Hope this helps!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  3:15:43 PM  Show Profile
I would really have to measure things to have a better idea of what is going on instead of guessing. I will try to get out and do that tomorrow. As far as animals we were just thinking a couple of everything. A few goats, a couple sheep (maybe), a cow, a couple horses, a few pigs...not too many of one thing, just more like an old fashioned self sufficient farm. I'll go out tomorrow with our big tape and do some measuring so I can get some more solid advice. Thanks Margaret!!!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Pasture needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: