Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 need advice on neighbor's dogs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic need advice on neighbor's dogs Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  4:14:03 PM  Show Profile
we have been in this house since March, everyone on the street has a dog but the problem is next door. they have two small ones, a Maltese and a Daschund that are very aggressive. they go after anyone who walks by. they have come after me, my dog and my kids on my property and while walking on the sidewalk. having my pantleg grabbed is the closest we have come to being bitten but they scare the kids and twice we have been trapped on our porch by the Maltese until she came and grabbed him. they still let the dogs out loose to "do their business" knowing how they are, this I do not understand plus they have a fenced in backyard !
this morning I walked my dog and was one house away when she let out the dogs and they came snarling and barking right for me. I yelled at her that there are leash laws and she needed to stop letting them out loose, she tells me it's not her fault ! I tell her you let them out loose, it's your fault. My questions is do I put in a call to animal control, will that help or just make me the [bleep]y neighbor ? this is a large suburb of a major city not a rural farm area where there are no rules about loose animals

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  4:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I would write her a nice letter to start with and tell her that she should let them do their business out back in the fenced yard or you will call animal control.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Like Diane said, I call or write a note first. If the dog bites and you have to go to the hospital, well... that is another story. I'd let her know that.
I would not like being trapped on my front porch by a dog! Maybe try carrying some doggy treats with you. When the dogs come running, throw them a treat.
Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile
get some pepper spray, it won't cause permenant damage, but they will not come after you again...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile
Here's what I would do: tell her to keep her dogs contained (you've done that), call animal control. If the dogs had me on my porch I would have practiced my field goal kick to put them back in their yard. Any dog that comes in my yard and attacks my family (or other animals or messes up my plants,etc) is on the fast track to "satanville" (heard that on the news today and it cracked me up), especially if I've already told the owner to take care of them and keep them off my property.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  7:11:46 PM  Show Profile
I would call animal control, enough is enough. Maybe she'll get the message if she gets fined a few times.

We have neighbours who are careless dog owners too.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile
I definately agree with calling animal control. You've talked with her so she's been advised there's a problem. I also agree with the pepper spray. If the dog comes after you or your family use it. I've had to start carrying it when I walk my dogs because of the problems in our area. Actually due to the high number of pitbulls in the neighborhood the man is having me get my ccw so I can carry a gun while walking to protect myself. People that refuse to control their animals should have them taken away.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  07:46:57 AM  Show Profile
We had a similar situation a few doors down only with large dogs. Animal control has removed his dogs several times. She is breaking several laws so most likely they will deal with it. With the little dogs you could also try a water squirt gun. It's supposed to work with puppies. Not a fun situation because unfortunately the owner is at fault but everyone else pays the price including her dogs.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  07:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I know many people like this with small dogs--they don't feel that, because they're small in stature, that they're any danger to people, children or other animals. Having worked in the animal control field, I would simply say call your ACO and make a complaint. You've said your peace, a nice letter probably won't do anything if verbal sparring caused her to say, "it isn't my fault" (?) I'm still trying to figure that one out--I know the dogs didn't let themselves out. And, as an aside, one of these dogs is a TERRIER (or as we liked to call them at the shelter, "terrorists"). They are very territorial creatures, it's bred in their bloodlines and they can be vicious when doing their inborn jobs. So, don't take any chances with your safety or your pet.

If there are leash laws in your city, she is in violation. If there are confinement laws (i.e., fenced in yards) she is in violation. It would be one thing if they accidentally got free from the yard, but she's just letting them run free on the property. It's not like she has acreage!

A few years ago, my husband's Aunt was walking her basset/beagle mix when 2 large breed dogs were let out by the tween aged son into the front yard. They immediately attacked poor Ben, and left him a torn up mess, almost dead, right in front my husband's Aunt. Ben was on a lead, these dogs weren't--she ended up taking the owner to court of his vet bills, as she should have. Didn't make for a real friendly "neighbor" but so what.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile
thanks you all for the advice, I don't want to be confrontational but geez enough is enough, and we see that on the rare occasion they are let out on a lead they leave them out for hours without regard ot temperature or time of day or anything. not the best doggie owners in the world, mine is adaschund mix who has NEVER been off her leash to roam so I guess our next step will be an email to animal control.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:35:48 AM  Show Profile
So what's wrong with their fenced in back yard? I don't get it. And I would think one good kick to the nose would help matters a little.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Leash law is Nation Wide unless you are at a specific dog park. That is the bottomline. At lease have Animal Control out one to talk to the person. After that, all bets are off. Pepper spray. OK

We live in an apartment complex and some people are coming in with pit bulls. In Texas, it is state law that you can't have a vicious breed in a multi-person dwelling. I have talked to the manager and she told me I would have to call the police. I have talked to my hubby about getting a carry/conceal for a handgun because I fear for my safety and the safety of my child and dog. The pit was wearing a plastic collar and had obvious fight wounds. The manager doesn't want to do anything because she doesn't want to make tenents mad.

You are darned right I will protect mine or the other small kids that play in the parking lot and other small breeds that stay here. You know darned well to that this person didn't pay the 300.00 down payment to have a dog in this complex. But I sure did. It is funny that they only walk it at night.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Oh, and don't get me started on people that let their animals pop everywhere and don't clean it up. The police caught one of the guys doing it and fined him 200 dollars on the spot. Gee, I see him with a bag when he walks now.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  5:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I emailed the animal control officer for our city, someone also suggested I let our councilman know too. thanks for all the advice you helped me make up my mind on what to do
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  7:27:06 PM  Show Profile
It is so hard with the neighbor thing. I think you made the right decision in letting animal control handle it. You tried to handle it on your own and the owner does not seem to care!

Amy, I live in a complex as well. Fortunately nearly everyone is pretty good with their dogs and the clean up! Love your blog, by the way!!
Patricia- best of luck and sure hope this gets resolved for you!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  08:37:28 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the pepper spray in addition to notifying animal control. Better safe than sorry and it's cheap.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  09:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Both breeds can be nippy. Please don't flood me with emails for this. My sister in law has both and they are nice for the most part. But they are weird with strangers.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:09:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MrsRooster

Oh, and don't get me started on people that let their animals pop everywhere and don't clean it up. The police caught one of the guys doing it and fined him 200 dollars on the spot. Gee, I see him with a bag when he walks now.

Here! Here! Glad to see someone got caught for doing this. My observation is that the little dog owners are the ones who are cleaning up after their dogs. Big dog owners turn a blind eye. Hope I'm not offending anyone here, this has just been my observation. And it is witnessed by all the big dog poop left behind, don't see very many little dog poops! I know there are some responsible big dog owners too.

But back to the topic, our old neighborhood had a similar neighbor. Everytime I would walk Hobbs in front of his house he'd let his 4 snapping, snarling little dogs out who would chase Hobbs. Hobbs of course wouldn't put up with it and would retaliate with his own snarling and snapping. You can't tell me that was just a coincidence, every time we walked in front of his house! I told him the last time if he ever did that again I was calling animal control on him and charging him with harbouring vicious dogs.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile
it seemed silly at first to be afraid of a little dog I could probably send down the street with my boot but they have teeth just the same
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Still weary of cleaning up molddy poop. Yuck!! Can you believe it gets molddy??????

The worst bite I ever got was from a small dog.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  5:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I have major problems with my neighbors dogs killing my chickens...I have an old thread out there, believe me animal control and sheriffs dept is a joke in my town. But anyway, I have a Chorkiee ( chi/yorkie mix) 4 lbs of terror. I live in a rural area and always have him on a leash. I do believe he is just trying to be protective, but he can be vicious. He is ok after he gets to know you.

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:39:13 PM  Show Profile
well, haven't heard from animal control but since the yelling incident every time the dogs come out they are on a leash so some success !
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:51:58 PM  Show Profile
It is her fault completely for not taking them to obedience classes and ultimately, she will be the one sued if those dogs do any damage to anyone or someone's property. Remind her of this, if those small, cute little dogs were big dogs like labs, goldens and rotties, would their behavior be acceptable? Obviously the answer is no. I would also be tempted to call animal control and let them know of the little terrors. They can enforce the leash law and fine her if they're loose and not in her yard.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Patricia - glad you called animal control and the owner is bringing them out on leashes. Finally... I'm like everyone else - I can't believe she said it wasn't her fault???? This is never a pleasant situation. Wishing you the best of luck with the situation.

Rachel - I'm still chuckling to myself about practicing your field goal kick and sending it to Satanville. I know its not funny and I know no one would want to kick a dog - but it still made me lol.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  6:43:11 PM  Show Profile
thanks for all the support, I really didn't want to do this but it needed to be done. to my neighbor : nobody makes you be an animal owner, if you don't want the responsibility or follow the rules you shouldn't have them
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic need advice on neighbor's dogs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page