sassynrob
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Shelly
Shepherd MI
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  07:02:52 AM  Show Profile
My husband loves bean soup but I have yet to find a recipe that I can cook without it turning to mush! Please if you have a recipe and some helpful tips I would appreciate it.

www.foreverlovecreations.com

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  11:13:57 AM  Show Profile
I make bean soup almost weekly. I'll try to describe it here. If your beans are fresher than mine, you won't need to cook as long.
Wash and sort about 3C of dry beans. Any kind will do, using several kinds together makes a great soup (red, black, white, pinto)
Cover the beans in a pot with 2" water. Bring to boil. Boil 5min. Take off heat and soak all night.
The next morning, rinse them again and recover with water and simmer 2-3 hours.
While that is simmering, brown meat, veggies; onions, carrots, garlic, celery and pour all that in the bean pot.
Add seasonings and tomato sauce: salt, 1/4 C molasses, Organic Tomato Sauce, 2 T brown sugar, 2 T worchestershire sauce, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.
I read a chef say that the beans stop absorbing liquid when you add the tomato sauce so don't add that till the beans are mostly tender. For me that seems to be during the last hour. It seems to work. My husband always has seconds.
Good luck.

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
Do you make yours in a crockpot? I've never had mine turn to mush, honestly, and I cook them on high all day while at work. I use the 16 bean bag mix from the grocery, soaked overnight, rinsed and put into the bottom of the crockpot, but any bean mix works the same way for me whether it's all pinto or red beans, what have you.
Add 4 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 2 bay leaves, cottage ham, a bit of chopped bacon, lg. chopped onion, cajun or creole seasoning (thus alter your salt content because it has salt in it), 2 diced carrots, and just cover beans with either ham or veggie stock. Easy-peasy and really good!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  1:13:55 PM  Show Profile
What kind of Bean Soup?

Here are a couple of our favorites:

Ham & Bean Soup

1-˝ pounds smoked ham hocks or 1 ham bone
1-pound small white beans (Anasazi beans are best)
3 sliced or chopped carrots
3 stalks celery sliced or chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Water to cover

Put all ingredients in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 3-4 hours (possibly more if beans aren’t tender yet). It will get very thick; add water when you think it needs it. Somewhere down the line remove the ham hocks from the soup, and cool them, Cut the meat off the bones, discard the fat and return the meat and bones to the pot. When you are ready to serve, remove the bones and bay leaves and serve. Serves 6.

North Woods Bean Soup from Cooking Light

1-cup baby carrots, halved
1 cup chopped onion
Two cloves garlic, minced
7 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into ˝ inch pieces
Four cups chicken broth
˝ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
˝ teaspoon black pepper
2 (15.8 ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 (6 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach leaves

Heat a large stockpot with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and kielbasa; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes. Add the broth, Italian seasoning, pepper, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Place 2 cups of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return the pureed mixture to the pan. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Add the spinach, stirring until it wilts. Yield: Five servings.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jan 16 2012 1:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  2:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I get the bag of mixed dried beans called 10 bean soup mix. I put them in a large pot, cover with water, and let soak overnight. The next day I drain, rinse and the add new water to cover. I bring to a boil then lower the heat to cook them for 1 hour (add extra water as needed or if needed). Then I add a chopped onion, chopped sausage (2 or 3 sticks),two or three chopped potatoes, and a can of Ro-tel tomatoes for a little heat. I cook another hour or till I feel the beans are tender.Salt and pepper to taste. My hubby loves it!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  5:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Lentil-kale soup

1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 onion, chopped
1 T. cumin
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 can diced tomatoes, juice included
2 c. vegetable broth
2 c. water
1/3 bag kale, chopped
2 T. olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute onions and carrots in oil for about 8 minutes or until tender. Add cumin and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, lower to simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender. Keep checking as this soup gets thick. Add kale and simmer until kale is wilted. Serve with crusty bread.

This has become my favorite soup. You can use spinach instead of kale if you like. I made a pot today with fresh pumpernickel bread from the bread machine. Yum-O!!!

Enjoy,
Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

sassynrob
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Shelly
Shepherd MI
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone I will give some of these a try!

www.foreverlovecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

IdahoShamrock
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Kathy
Hayden Idaho
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  10:02:28 AM  Show Profile
Congressional Bean Soup

8 C water
1 lb (2C) navy beans (I have used pinto beans too, and it is just as tasty)
1 ham bone
1 C chopped celery
1 C chopped onion
2 T parsley flakes
1 t salt
pepper to taste
1 bay leaf

Assemble all ingredients into crockpot and cook on low 10-12 hrs.

Super delicious and the farmer friend who gave me the recipe says it is the bean soup made in the kitchens that cook for the Senate and House in WA DC. Hence the name.

Farmgirl #2125

www.dustbincards.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with Bean Soup! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page