mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  8:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gals!
Wondering where you get your books from and why? Do you like shopping at Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, or your local bookstore (used of new)?

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I read SO many books, I am glad we have a library bus coming in the village once a week. I go there every week. I order books online and as soon as they have arrived I get an email. Sometimes I buy books at the bookstore or in the online bookstore. The online bookstore is the only one where I can buy English books. They do have quite a lot but since money is tight...I read mostly Dutch books from the library. They DO have English books ( not many) but it always takes SOSO long before they have them...so have to read Dutch books now. I still prefer English books though

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  05:50:54 AM  Show Profile
I generally pick from Amazon for speed. I don't really have time very often to browse stores. I buy both new and used from amazon and I am always happy with what I get. I just got two books from used book sellers from Amazon to work on some of my MJF badges.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  06:17:14 AM  Show Profile
I try to use the library as much as I can - I read really fast so it is definitely not cost effective to buy books. Once I've ready them and I know whether they have made the "read-again" list I buy them, I have pretty good with half.com - good prices, most vendors are fairly quick to send. My exception is our little thrift store in town (small town, small thrift store:)) - books are so cheap I can justify buying them, then I just re-donate.
That said, I love bookstores. Powell's in Portland, OR is amazing, a full city block of books - heaven on earth.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  08:30:28 AM  Show Profile
I get some of my used books from Amazon, and some from garage sales, and some of them are given to me by friends.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  08:34:42 AM  Show Profile
I use my local library whenever they have to books I want to read. Otherwise I purchase from Amazon and Barnes and Noble alot. I love their used book sections. We also have a new book exchange store in town. You can take your unwanted books in and trade them for points to use on book purchases. It isn't ever "free" to take books home from this venue but it is definitely less expensive than a book store.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:16:56 AM  Show Profile
I buy used books on Amazon. Also a site called thrift books is good, used books, free shipping. Then of course the thrift store, and garage sales in the summer.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:26:39 AM  Show Profile
I use Amazon for something specific that I can't find locally; however, for general reading I haunt my library's monthly used book sale. All paperbacks are 50 cents and hardcovers are only $1.00. Once a year they also have a bag sale where you get all the books you can stuff into a grocery bag for $3.00. I really stock up then! Also, when I'm done with the books I return them to the sale for someone else to enjoy.

We also have a used book store a few miles away where paperbacks are $2.00 and hardcovers are $3.00, but you get $1.00 off if you bring a book to turn in.

I just can't bring myself to pay full price at a bookstore for many books - especially those I would only read once.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:43:52 AM  Show Profile
Honestly? Every single place that I can. I am such a book nut! In fact, nothing makes me happier than holding a book in my hands. I literally have hundreds upon hundreds of books in my house, lots still waiting for me to read. My family knows that if you want to make me happy, get me a book! I get them from Barnes and Noble (both in store and the internet) From Amazon and from my lovely local book store called BookLovers that sells both new and used books. I'm always scouting thrift stores, yard sales and antique stores for something good. I've been dying to get my hands on the older Trixie Belden books that were, I think, published in the 60's? My heart sings and my feet dance when I spot a book that I know is coming home with me.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile
try betterworldbooks.com
I try to order out of the bargain bin. There's a price break when you order either 3 or 5 (I can't remember which) & shipping is free.
These are used books, many originally from libraries. I've been very happy with my purchases from them.
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  3:55:08 PM  Show Profile
I use the library first, then try the store Half Price books, then try their website www.hpb.com, then amazon if they are not too overpriced. Half price is my favorite store.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  6:29:50 PM  Show Profile
I get most of my books from Barnes & Noble but I like to patronize the small, independent bookstores as well. I've found some real gems at small bookstores.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  4:43:23 PM  Show Profile
I try to use the library as much as possible, but I do like to buy books when I have gift cards. I like Barnes & Noble and Half Price Books the best. Half Price has some good finds, and you can also sell your old books back!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  5:50:59 PM  Show Profile
I love to read, and I will admit..I love to "collect" books. One of the things that drew me to the last house I lived in and this one is the built in bookshelves.....love to display books. So, with that in mind...I buy books where ever I can...online, thrift stores, grocery store, college bookstores, the mall bookstore, antique shops etc. But, my most favorite find...would have to be a vintage/antique classic...just love old books. My great, great grandfather was a poet, author, painter etc...and I have been purchasing all his old books online for my collection. They sit at my desk with me...to enjoy whenever the mood hits:) Happy Book Hunting..Erica
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I usually buy at Amazon, both new and used. Occasionally I will go to Barnes & Noble to just browse and see if I find anything. I rarely get over to that area any more. I also pick up books at garage sales and thrift stores when I find anything interesting.

The newest place I've started getting books is paperbackswaps.com I've really felt the need to purge my library a little bit so I decided a swap would be the best way to do it - it's a win-win situation with me getting rid of books that I didn't like or enjoyed but wouldn't read again and getting new books to read. You only pay to ship the book to the person that requests it, not for the books you request. They have paperbacks and hardcover, cd's, and dvd's that you can exchange. After I get done with the library purge the DVDs might be the next.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  1:04:52 PM  Show Profile
I try to use my local library whenever possible and I try NOT to use Amazon as their number 1 goal is to put independant book stores out of business. My avorite thing to do when traveling is to visit independant book stores ... oh, and quilt shops, too.

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  11:37:03 AM  Show Profile
I first go to my library. I sometimes check books out there first before buying any that I really want to buy.

I have shopped mostly at Goodwill and other thrift stores for used books.

I have also used Amazon and other people on Amazon offering low prices. I don't use a kindle or other electronic reading device.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  12:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I use the library as much as possible, especially if it is a book I'm not sure I want to BUY. They do a good job getting books in interlibrary loan as well.
If I'm buying, I use Amazon and Christian Books.com.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jan 19 2012 12:11:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  3:42:11 PM  Show Profile
I've been doing a lot of shopping lately at the Houghton Bookstore in the Village Gate Mall (it's not a real mall, it's a funky old factory building that years ago was turned into a collection of small shops and restaurants).

Sales support scholarships at Houghton College (about 3 hours southwest of Rochester). The books are all donated, so the cost is very reasonable (I usually pay $1-2). They are my source for guilty pleasure reading--1920s/1930s romance novels. And I see that they sell online as well!

http://www.houghton.edu/houghtonbookshop/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile
CJ, my library about interlibrary loans too! I love it!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  8:00:42 PM  Show Profile
I get my books from my fave consignment store Stuff Etc. I can usually get them for about $1.99 and I always sell back any that Ive finished that I dont want to add to my collection. Plus everybody knows how much I like books, so I get them for gifts too.

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  07:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Ebay usually or a bookstore here in town called Poe House Books. Oh, and I also snarf them from the free paperback book rack at the library ;)
Go to Top of Page

avlfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Cameron
Asheville NC
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  6:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Local book store and Barnes and Noble--I have a Nook so B&N for my e-books but also, they have great discounts in store and online, especially if you're a member. We have an amazing local book store where I live so I try to go local as much as possible.

It's what you do that makes your soul. ~Barbara Kingsolver
Go to Top of Page

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  08:59:08 AM  Show Profile
today only at betterworldbooks.com
30% off the purchase of 4 or more books from the Bargain Bin. I just ordered 4 books from my wish list for $11.14
Free shipping.
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile
I check them out from the library, but if I really want to own it I search B&N.com, Half Price Books (when I can get to one of their stores), AbeBooks.com, Amazon.com, local library book sales, garage sales, and local used book stores.

One other website that has been very good is bookcloseouts.com - many of their books are overstocks and may have a black mark across the bottom, but unless it is for a gift I don't mind that - it doesn't usually show on the pages when you are reading and the less expensive price makes up for it. I once got an autograped Gossie & Gertie (awesome children's book) book from them, but since then they usually note the autographed copies and charge a little more. They've been a great source of Calvin & Hobbes books for which my children are the right age to really enjoy.

Enjoy the good things in life!
Go to Top of Page

buggysmum
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Shelly

110 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:05:41 AM  Show Profile
Library, Amazon (though I feel guilty supporting them at all), and Chinaberry.com (which is philosophically everything I believe a bookstore should be)....wish I could buy everything from Chinaberry...they are such a great company and they have really enriched my life with their book choices and reviews. They also have a lot of "farmgirl" - themed books!

Edited by - buggysmum on Jan 28 2012 09:47:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Where do you get your books? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page