kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  08:38:41 AM  Show Profile
A lady gave me this book to read at Bible study last week and I love it. She said she had read it and thought of me. Hmmm... I would love to do what this boy does. Now I want to go out and live on the mountains near me. Such a good book. And full of great information that really can be used if anyone was in the wilderness for a long time.

It's by Jean Craighead George. A really old book. Well, 1959 I think. So 1 year older than me. So an old book!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile
It was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I think they even made a movie out of it back in the '60's or 70's. Great read. I grew up in the mountains by Lake Tahoe and roamed the mountains all the time so it was even more of a hook for me. My brother was really into the Wild Wood Wisdom book and he and our dad used to go survival camping for up to two weeks at a time taking little with them and living off the land.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  09:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, I was born in Calif. and we lived in Placerville for several years. We always went to Tahoe and a place called Strawberry every summer. My dad was a teacher so we went all over the country during summer. But our very favorite place was Strawberry. Our cousins would go with us and we would get to clean out the horse stalls for free rides. It was so beautiful there. And back in 1999 when we went back to Calif. for a reunion, we drove through Tahoe and saw the sign for Strawberry. I wish we had gone to see it again. We also went through Placerville and saw the Hangman. Still there after all these years. Have you ever been to Strawberry?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  10:58:11 AM  Show Profile
Actually in High School I had a friend who's parents ran Twin Bridges Resort that was right by Strawberry. I actually lived at Fallen Leaf Lake when I was small as my dad was caretaker for summer homes year around there. We moved into town (South Shore) when I was in 5th grade. I lived there until I was 22 when we moved here to do the homesteading thing. You can't grow much at over 6,000 ft. elevation. Both of my parents worked for Anita Baldwin (Santa Anita Racetrack) at her summer place on Fallen Leaf back in the '40's. My great aunt and her husband ran the Bay View resort at Emerald Bay during the depression and she ran the telephone switchboard in the winter. I posted pics of my folks on my blog post http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/2011/10/legacy-of-making-bread.html from back in the 1940's. What a small world it is!

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  4:53:18 PM  Show Profile
That was one of my favorite books and movie. I read the book in 7th grade and I just loved it and I have had each of my boys read it over the years to. Its so inspiring. Talk about being up old memories. Thanks. Enjoy your journey!

Line Shack Farmgirl #1570
Cynthia

Happy Trails
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile
I am almost finished with the book and I don't want it to end. Does anyone know of any other books like this? I do like to watch the guy that goes all over the world and lives off the land. Can't remember the name of the show. But I can't watch when he is in a swamp.

Sheri, I looked at your blog. Great pictures and I love the history.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  11:11:06 AM  Show Profile
There is a Trilogy series book which includes "My Side of the Mountain", "On the Far Side of the Mountain" and "Frightful's Mountain" published by Dutton's Children's Books. I bought it through Amazon.com. I just finished reading it spurred on to purchase it by the posts on Farmgirl. And so timely, as my sister who lives in a rural area of Michigan saw a falcon sitting on log stump in her backyard with a catch of a dead bird for 6 hours. She was puzzled on why it wasn't eating the catch...and from reading these books I learned they cannot eat again until they pass a digested pellet. More than likely it had to wait until the pellet was expelled in order to begin eating it's prey. It fascinates me the number of plants that can be eaten in the wild and named in the three series. I would love a good field identification book on edible plants. In remembering some of our favorite childhood reading..my favorite reading from the library at my Junior High school was "The Sands of Kalahari" by William Mulvihill, G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York,1960. Again, another story of suvival in the wild. (Their plane crashes in the desert.)
Good days to you.
Annie in Henderson
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic My Side of the Mountain Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page