Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 looking for the perfect 4 season farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic looking for the perfect 4 season farm Next Topic
Page: of 2

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  8:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
So this fantasy exists in my mind (and has for some time) that there exists this perfect place to settle. There are 4 seasons, each 3 months long. They give me daffodils in the spring, fireflies in the summer, leaves falling in autumn and a white Christmas.

Do you know some place that fits this profile? If so, please share.

Life's short. Make today count.

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  9:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, that's kind of a toughie Rachell--my best guess would be parts of West Virginia, PA, or even KY, but the thing is, some parts have too much snow, too long, or some might not have snow at all, depending on the weather. My sister lives in VA, and some years, they have all four seasons, but lots of years, there is no snow.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  11:31:25 PM  Show Profile
Check in different communities within "the bible belt"-- Missouri, Kentucky, Arkansas--Different things like elevation, local water bodies, mountains etc will affect weather patterns and generalities for the state or region may not apply. The farm of my childhood was located about 15 miles inland along the Oregon Coast, and due to funky weather patterns the climate at the ranch was NOTHING like it was anywhere else in town, along the beach, or by the bay. We were inside a little fog free halo and the growing was second to none. Drop seeds on the ground by accident and you had a garden in that spot. We found cherry tomatoes growing one year near the trash can--- near as we could figure some old tomatoes missed the can.

Just in researching Missouri alone I found 3 different climates. You can try http://www.city-data.com/forum/ to ask locals what an area is *really* like. I couldn't have gotten such a clear picture of a state 24 hours away without it.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  05:42:41 AM  Show Profile
I live in the Southern part of Wisconsin. We have four seasons, but sometimes winter is a little longer than 3 months. Wisconsin has wonderful soil. My gardens flourish here, you just have to be careful about the last frost date. My DH and I have been looking for a couple of years for our retirement hobby farm and have decided to stay in WI. Probably the Central Western area called the driftless region. I do love having four seasons!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  05:53:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddlehead Farm
We have four seasons, but sometimes winter is a little longer than 3 months. Wisconsin has wonderful soil. My gardens flourish here, you just have to be careful about the last frost date.

The same can be said for the southern part of Michigan.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:15:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to add Indiana to the list. Having lived there most of my life, that is what I miss the most. Spring with tulips, daffodils, and mushroom hunting, catching fireflies on warm summer evenings, the smell of fall, colorful turning leaves, and oh the fall festivals (Brown County Covered Bridge Festival), winter could never promise you a white Christmas every year, but seldom were you disappointed.

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Jan 16 2012 08:11:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile
We just moved from Indiana to Kentucky. Both have 4 seasons but Indiana's winter is longer and Kentucky's summer is longer. Take your pick, we chose Kentucky for our retirement years.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  1:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
I know it is fantasy to find the "perfect" balance of all 4 seasons. I figured it never hurts to ask. Maybe someone is already living there! I lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 1 year due to hubby's work. The growing season was just too short, like 90 days. The year we were there did not seem have much of a fall. It went from summer to winter like overnight! That winter we got 5 foot of snow dumped on us all at once! It was kinda cool for us Floridians to experience a winter like that! We had a total of 15' of snow that winter before we had to leave. The amount of snow did not bother me at all as I just stocked up and stayed home ("if there's no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"). What bothered me more is that there was next to no fall and a very long-lasting cold time of year.

Where I live now is SW FL, so subtropical. On Christmas Day I had to have my AC on as it was near 90 and I just couldn't take it. There are lots of great things about this area, but come on, 90 on Christmas Day?!

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  2:14:29 PM  Show Profile
I live on Long Island,in New York and we basically have 4 seasons. As others have said there are some winters where we get no snow (or at least not much) and others where we get alot of snow but basically winter is from Dec-March. We have gorgeous springs, summers and falls!
We are very lucky because we have gorgeous beaches,and so much to do around here. Also where I am we are only a about an hour and a half from Manhattan, which of course is a whole nother ball game!
I have lived here all my life (almost 46 years) as has my husband, so I dont see us ever leaving.
Good luck in your search!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a 35 acre farm that I will be selling in 4 season colorfull Colorado. Might be too much land for what you are looking for. It is heaven on earth but I just can not do all the work by myself any longer.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you on running AC on Christmas Day, it just takes something away from the season for me, only because I grew up in Indiana. We lived in OK for 5 years, the eastern part, 23 miles from the ARK. state line. Being in the foothills of the Ozark mountians you get your four seasons there with not much snow. It is really a beauitful place to live and so down home friendly.
Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  08:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
Grace, do you have a link to your place?

hoosiercountry, what I don't want is to be somewhere with a grey, dreary, cold winter and no snow to show for it. I am hoping for something that offers snow that sticks most winters if not all. Overall, I am a much bigger fan of spring, summer and fall.

laurentany, I grew up in NJ. Maybe this is where I get my notion of 4 seasons. When I was a kid we often had snow in winters, but as time went on, it became less often. Besides, where I grew up was very industrial. I would not want to go back that way. I definitely want the pastoral beauty and tranquility of a more rural life.

...of course it would be very nice to be able to bike to a post office or library!

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Come to Maine...We have 6 seasons...winter, mud, spring, bugs, summer, tourist, fall. Sometimes you can combine one or two. In all seriousness, Maine is beautiful. You haven't hit the real maine until you've gone north and east of Bangor. You can find real estate fairly reasonable since the bubble has popped, but the problem is jobs. Where the real estate is reasonable, the jobs are 100 miles in either direction. If your self-employed you need 1 or 2 other irons in the fire to make ends meet. So you are welcome here any time you want to move.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  08:04:31 AM  Show Profile
I Agree with Lorena we moved up to a farm in July of 2011 and LOVE it, we have decided to retire so we could live here in the Northern part of Maine.
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  8:39:29 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I selling our 10 acre farm in Eastern WA. I call it a 4 Season Farm. It is wonderful to have all four seasons, plus, the weather here is always "up in the air." Wait 5 minutes and it can change. We have had several different types of weather in one day!! Snow is a funny thing -- in the 7 years we've lived here, a couple of winters were nearly snow-free. Two were -- whoa nellie that's ENUFF! (Actually, we loved every inch of it.) But, since our business was here on the farm, we didn't have to drive in it. . . so we could just ENJOY it! We hate to leave here , but with elderly parents in another state and no siblings, I must go. Plus, most of our kids and grandkids are in that same state.

If you are interested in seeing the "Promised Land Ranch" I'd love to share photos of summer, winter, spring and fall.

This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Every day on the farm is JOY to the soul!
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  8:58:51 PM  Show Profile

Never tried this before, but am trying to show a Winter photo of the ranch.

Go to Top of Page

markandfawn
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Leann
Elkins WV
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  3:45:17 PM  Show Profile
West Virginia has 4 seasons...all about 3 months long. We have snow most Christmas's and the leaves turn beautiful shades of reds and yellows in the fall. We have a healthy planting season with lots of green grass for animals. Property is extremely reasonable here and is one of the only states that has not fell economically...due to the pipelines and coal mines.
Go to Top of Page

farmassistant
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Bettie
Algood TN
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  12:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Tennessee has four seasons, although some winters we only get an inch of snow.
We have beautiful fall colors, cold winters, and beautiful springs. Come on to TN
and enjoy either West TN, Middle TN or East TN.
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  1:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Here is a Spring photo at my FOUR SEASONS FARM in Eastern Washington. I call it "Overview of the promised Land Ranch."

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and even Southern Illinois. Though, I have to be honest, we haven't had even an inch of snow this winter, here in Northern Kentucky, and today, it's sunny and 70 degrees on the first day of February! But, "generally" speaking, we do have the 4 seasons, which is why I moved back this way. I truly love our Springs and Falls the best--Summer is quite humid, and Winter is ("usually") pretty darn cold!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Lorena, I like your 6 seasons. We have those too.
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  5:16:25 PM  Show Profile
I loved the 6 seasons descriptions too. Here in Eastern WA, this year we have NO winter, really. Snowed only about 4" and most of it melted and we have RAIN, RAIN, RAIN -- not our usual winter. I MISS THE SNOW --- waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . So, I guess it isn't a 4-Season State this year. :(

Go to Top of Page

MsScarlette
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Neta
Salisbury NC
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Where we live in Salisbury, NC there are 4 seasons. That is why we moved to NC. Love it, just enough snow to not get tired of it. although I have to be honest this years snow has not happened here yet but in other parts of NC there are always 4 seasons

clucketycluckcluck
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  10:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Well Caroline if I didn't already live on a small farm in eastern WA(just a little south of you)I'd love to have yours. Very pretty. But how did you get away with only about 4" of snow so far?? We had at least a foot and an inch of ice on top of that! I love the snow and I even drive to work in in daily. This is definitely usually a 4 season area.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

Caroline Sunshine
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Carolyn
Thornton WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  5:46:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marcia -
Our kids in Moscow got a whole lot more snow than we've had up here near Oakesdale. Where are you - "just a little south" of me? I'm having SNOW-ENVY!

:)

Go to Top of Page

ProgressiveHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ProgressiveHomemaker an AOL message
I've really enjoyed reading about all of your lovely farms! As an update on my search, we have opted to make an offer on a house in Mars Hill, NC just outside Asheville. It seemed to have alot of what we were looking for. Wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic looking for the perfect 4 season farm Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page