sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  7:33:08 PM  Show Profile
I’m completing plans for my garden and planting my seedlings inside this month and thought I would ask advice now, before spring comes. I have a pest problem with my garden. Two years in a row now I have planted garlic in my garden and both years have very poor results. I’ve followed directions exactly down to measuring depth and distance apart with a ruler. In the spring, nothing comes up and I see little indentations where my garlic bulbs were.

I have an idea of what’s been going on. This fall I planted daffodil bulbs in my English flower garden in the front yard. I was washing dishes one day this fall and looking out my kitchen window at where I planted the daffodil bulbs and saw a squirrel contentedly munching on something. I looked closer and he was diligently digging up my bulbs and one by one munching on them! I dashed outside and he grabbed the bulb he was eating and raced up the tree with it. I suspect the squirrels also ate my sunflowers I planted last spring. We live in a fairly wooded subdivision in town with a healthy population of squirrels. Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep the squirrels out of my garden and from eating my garlic, daffodil, etc?

On the bright side…if spring comes and I see daffodils, garlic and sunflowers sprouting from a squirrel’s nest in one of our trees I will know who the culprit is!

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  8:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Try gettin ahold of your local dog groomers and ask them to save the hair for you. Then sprinkle it right on the ground and plants themselves. It works wonders for our garden.

I also plant garlic in the fall in a raised bed. It drowns and rots very easily in a wet season. It also is every bugs favorite meal. I prefer to keep it seperate and tend to it more carefully than my other plants.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  07:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I've never tried this idea on soil, but it works great to keep squirrels from chewing on our wood doors and siding......make a solution of Tobasco sauce and water and spray it where you don't want them to be. After they get into it a couple of times they remember and will stop going to that area.

I've also used paprika successfully to keep rabbits out of my garden, and I would imagine that using any type of spice from the pepper family would work for squirrels as well if sprinkled on the ground.

Good luck....squirrels can be very annoying!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  5:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! I'm going to try both of your ideas. Also, I didn't know it was every bugs favorite meal. I will begin to carefully care for my garlic, follow your suggestions, and see what happens. Thanks!

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  09:54:14 AM  Show Profile
My DH sets traps and eats them! I heard that the dog hair works, but I have never tried it. I have dogs so the squirrels don't really bother my garden, but they do love my bird feeders!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile
I hadn't thought of setting traps! Thank you!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need some gardening advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page